What can I do to improve performance without turning it into a performance wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can I do to improve performance without turning it into a performance wagon?

I have a 1998 V70, automatic trans., non-turbo, 160K miles. Steady, reliable, engine run well, gas mileage in the high teens/low 20s. I am not expecting a rocket or a performance monster, but what things can I do to squeeze a little better performance/mileage/...fun... out of this tank? I am thinking about things I can do in my garage, like a larger exhaust pipe, new plugs and wires, or a new ignition coil. i don't want to put things on it that won't make an improvement, but, for instance, would (better than stock) struts and springs be noticeable, or an anti-sway bar across the upper strut bolts?

Since this is probably a perennial question among car owners, perhaps the better question is, what have you put on that made a difference?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:58 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

There is not much you can do to make the car faster but anything you do to the suspension, etc. will be noticeable immediately.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:03 AM

Thank you. I am a realist and know there is not much to make it faster (it has the aerodynamics of a parachute and the acceleration of a wall safe). The suspension focus is a good idea. As a relative newbie to auto DIY, I am curious what your "etc." would include. What else might be there?

Another issue: the gas pedal feels like I am pushing a brick. To make the pedal feel lighter, is it just a matter of replacing the cable? Some WD40 in the cable itself?

Thanks again.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:47 PM

The "naturally aspirated" (non-turbo) engine is the 98 V70 is spiffy enough as is, and, as Robert said, there is not much that can be done, moderately, to improve it. However, I did some moderate exhaust and intake modifications to a B230 engine in a 245 that I own that significantly improved the performance with a 25hp boost and improve fuel efficiency. Except for the exhaust system modification that I will eventually do on the 98 V70 GLT (light turbo) that I currently drive, I have done the K&N filter and Volvo brand sparks with hi-perf wires and a G-Force Performance chip that "tweaks" the ECU. I had first used one of these on my 87 245 along with an IPD sport exhaust system and dyno testing at the DMV showed the HP improvement that I had already noticed in its performance. I have also installed the GF chips in both of my "newer" Volvo wagons (960 & V70 GLT) along with the K&N filters. On the V70, there is noticeably more "punch" in low end torque with less turbo lag than before the install with less accelerator pressure. There is also quicker acceleration on the 960 with less throttle pressure than before.

In regards to your gas pedal issue, I suggest that you check the condition of the cable and pulley at the throttle body. If there is signs of fraying or wear, then replace the cable, but that pulley gets quite a workout and is often neglected from occasional lubrication.