Anyone know of a way to bypass the tailgate pinch strips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 10:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone know of a way to bypass the tailgate pinch strips?

Hi,
I've been having some challenges with my power tailgate on my 2010 P3 V70 3.2. The dealership suggested that the control module was fried so I threw a new one in there to see if that would fix my problem.

As an aside, the problem has been that the lift will not always close using the button on the tailgate.

So with the new control module in, I'm still not able to close the tailgate using the button.

They have suggested that the pinch strips should be replaced as a next step in the troubleshooting. This actually makes some sense to me: if one or both of the pinch strips is actually faulty is could be sending a signal telling the module not to close the hatch because it is detecting an obstruction. Furthermore, one of my pinch strips had come unglued a while back and it hung there for a long time so I could see that it might get bent or damaged.

Anyhow, I don't really care whether or not I have pinch strips to be honest. My kids are now old enough that getting fingers caught in the tailgate is not as much of a risk anymore.

Sooo, I got to wondering whether it might be possible to short the strips out either as part of the trouble-shooting or as a more permanent (and cheap) method of re-activating the close button.

Any ideas? I'm no electrician but I'm thinking that these strips cant be that complex...?

Old 05-26-2015, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

I think you'd need to test the voltage to see if they denote an obstruction with a open or closed circuit (ie see what you have and do the opposite?) How are the strips held on? I'm wondering if this is a part you could get at a recycle yard. Also have you tested the button on the tailgate - ie can the gate be activated by another way (ie key fob or driver's button) If all ways fail then working on the strips is a good next step.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
I think you'd need to test the voltage to see if they denote an obstruction with a open or closed circuit (ie see what you have and do the opposite?) How are the strips held on? I'm wondering if this is a part you could get at a recycle yard. Also have you tested the button on the tailgate - ie can the gate be activated by another way (ie key fob or driver's button) If all ways fail then working on the strips is a good next step.
Thanks, yeah, I was thinking the same (open/closed circuit-wise). The strip is actually a long piece of rubber with adhesive on the back of it. Apparently it is quite sensitive to being bent or kinked so I think that a new one is the way to go. I will report back if/when I choose to explore this troubleshooting any further.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

makes sense that the strip can't be bent or crimped as that would create a touch point. I also officiate swim meets and I know how sensitive the scoring touch pads can be! You can try bypassing or shop for an OEM replacement - check if Tascaparts.com or volvopartswarehouse.com sells the replacements.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
makes sense that the strip can't be bent or crimped as that would create a touch point. I also officiate swim meets and I know how sensitive the scoring touch pads can be! You can try bypassing or shop for an OEM replacement - check if Tascaparts.com or volvopartswarehouse.com sells the replacements.

Thanks - I was a competitive swimmer for 10 years - gotta love those Omega boards! I ordered a replacement from Tasca. As much as I'm curious about how it works, I just don't have the time to play around with it.