Lifelong red block owner, just got an '01 V70 what's first to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lifelong red block owner, just got an '01 V70 what's first to do?

So yeah. I've owned maybe 6 or 7 redblock wagons, 940s/960s, etc. And yesterday my journey to the Dark Side was made complete by my first purchase of a 2001 V70 wagon with 61k miles on it for $2k. I feel dirty inside but I did it....

What are the first things you would do to this car as far as preventative maintenance? It was owned by a wealthy elderly couple who had all service records, but still. It needs small things, the ignition/key will need to be replaced or constantly lubed with WD40, tailgate struts are shot, I'm going to put full synth in it, wash it, etc.

I can feel the transmission hard downshift...and I knew these cars have problematic trans. issues, but for the money, condition, miles, I'd gladly replace it considering that in my area these cars are going for more than twice as much needing engines, trans. etc. with 150-200k miles on them. I could detail this thing, fix the struts and sell it tomorrow for 2X what I paid, but I really do NEED the thing.

Oh...the seats... I FIT in this car, and at 6'5" with a 32" inseam you have no idea what a small miracle that is.

If this is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you have a good start on what needs to happen with it. I also have an '01 V70 (XC), and I replaced the linear solenoids in the valve body of the transmission. After doing that, it shifts beautifully. At your mileage, you may only need to replace (full drain/fill) the trans fluid and install a trans fluid filter (like the Raybestos Magnafine) to get the shifting back to normal.

Be sure to check the timing belt as well, it could be going bad just due to age.

Sounds like you got a great deal on a nice car. Good luck!

Old 07-07-2015, 03:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Throttlebody!!!

Old 07-14-2015, 08:53 AM

So...drama ensues.
I tend to think of myself as a smart man....and sometimes I'm DEAD wrong about that. The wagon turned out to be a con, it had the odometer doctored and it actually had 261,000 miles. I was able to get my gf to respond to another car the POS was selling, and boy was he good at the con, and I showed up pissed as hell.

I'm not a tough guy, but I'm covered head to toe (literally) in tattoos and I can be imposing at 6'5" if I need to be.

I didn't break the law, but I did get my money back and I've contacted the local CT DMV inspectors unit. This guy is still selling cars on craigslist in equally shifty conditions...he's going to get arrested for operating as an illegal dealer and odometer fraud/tampering. I guess if it's too good to be true, it is.

I DID BUY a 2001 XC70 though, white on black, 170k miles, new trans. new throttle body, (Nod to Josephvelderrain !) and a clean car fax, man did I learn a valuable lesson. Paid $2,500.00 and it look like a brand new car inside and out. Seriously I can't believe how nice of condition it's in.

The gas mileage is terrible though, and the added noise from the ride height/all wheel drive is VERY noticeable. I may sell it and get a plain V70, for better handling, etc.

I just got my '94 940 Regina Wagon running after it had been sitting through winter, I'm disabled so I had to wait for warmer weather/health cooperation to fix that beast right.

I'm back in love with my bricks...

There's a '02 V70 over the New York state border with about 170k miles on it, needs a solenoid for the trans. as stated by the owner, since I'm aware that these models had transmission issues, I'm a wee bit nervous but hopefully I can pull the codes and that's what will be confirmed. It's also in great shape and going for $1,500.00 plus front wheel, less to go wrong with the AWD, better handling/lower ride height.

Then there's the fact that both of my present wagons are white on black...that's some silly reason to keep a car that's averaging about 21-22 mpg on Connecticut's winding scenic back roads, but as I tell my Son being silly is an incredibly important part of life.

My old regina 940 was christened "Snoopy" from the black and white trim, the '01 XC is also white with black trim and my Fiance christened it "The StormTropper" because it looks like it works on the Death Star.

I'm sure reason or luck will win out, but hey for now I've got two nice Volvos and my blood pressure is significantly lower after chasing my tail on fixing the '94 940.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by benpf
Sounds like you have a good start on what needs to happen with it. I also have an '01 V70 (XC), and I replaced the linear solenoids in the valve body of the transmission. After doing that, it shifts beautifully. At your mileage, you may only need to replace (full drain/fill) the trans fluid and install a trans fluid filter (like the Raybestos Magnafine) to get the shifting back to normal.

Be sure to check the timing belt as well, it could be going bad just due to age.

Sounds like you got a great deal on a nice car. Good luck!
Thanks for this hot tip, I may do this to the V70 I may buy in NY state in my last post, hopefully it'll keep that going for awhile. I'm somewhat capable at fixing stuff, buy my spine/brain MRIs would make a neurosurgeon puke so...it's only when my body cooperates that I can do major work like an engine swap/transmission job and I'm in totally unfamiliar territory with the "FordVos"

Good to know brother, thanks.