V70 XC Replacing Head Gasket.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V70 XC Replacing Head Gasket.

Hi all. I have a 2002 V70 XC with a blown head gasket. I'm attempting repairs, but I'm stuck. I got an alldatadiy.com subscription for the car, but it wasn't descriptive enough, so I also got one from emaunalsonline.com, which is the vida system. Both manuals give the exact same directions, although the one from emaunalsonline has some exploded diagrams.

So the main problem is that these manuals tell me to remove certain parts from the car, but they don't give the part numbers or a diagram pointing out which part they mean.

For instance:

Remove:
*the clamp between the oil pressure pipe and the oil return line at the turbocharger (TC)
*the pipe screw that holds the oil pressure pipe to it's connector on the cylinder block
*the oil return line. Seal the opening in the cylinder block
*the screws and spacers at the exhaust manifold support bracket
*the lower screw that holds the heat deflector plate over the turbocharger (TC)
*the nuts from the front exhaust pipe conneciton to the turbocharger (TC)

Lift off the exhaust pipe and tie it off. Seal the opening in the exhaust pipe.
I was able to figure out which pipe is the oil pressure pipe and which is the oil return line, and managed to remove the clamp and got the pipes half way off. It's really hard to get in there. In the picture from the manual there is clear access to these parts, but I have the angle gear (part 36000338) in the way.

So first question: Do I have to remove the angle gear to do this job?

So putting that on the back-burner, I need to remove the screws and spacers at the exhaust manifold support bracket. Great. Where is this bracket? What does it look like? I pulled up the diagram for the exhaust manifold, and there are three main parts: the manifold (part 9207688), a protecting plate (part 8677958), and another protecting plate (part 30713259), but nothing labeled "exhaust manifold support bracket".

So question two: Where is this bracket?

It also asks me to remove the nuts from the front exhaust pipe connection to the turbocharger. Does that mean where the turbocharger connects to the catalytic converter, or to the exhaust manifold?

I suppose the best question would be: Is there a service manual for my car that has better diagrams or at least part numbers for the parts I need to remove?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.