New member, 06 XC70 oil trap question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, 06 XC70 oil trap question

Greetings fellow XC70 owners. I have an 06' XC70 with 86k miles.I just noticed that the vent tube running from the top of the engine to the oil trap( PCV) box is broken just above the top of the box where the the plastic hose has the ribs. Is there a quick fix for this? As the is the wife's DD I normally let the stealership service it but it is just too expensive. The last time i was in, they mentioned it was getting near the time for it to be replaced, but I want to do a quick fix if possible.
Thoughts?
Also is there any place to down load a shop manual? My ride is an 04 LR discovery 2 and that manual is readily avail for free.
Many Thanks.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The quick fix is to replace it. That's what us terrible people who work at the "stealership" do. I can replace it in under 10 minutes.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:43 PM

So if I understand you correctly, the methodology of having to remove the exhaust manifold and many other items is not how your dealership does it?
Please share your method!

Old 02-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

That's the intake and no, it doesn't need to be removed. Just reach under from the driver's side.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:34 PM

How is that possible? How do you get all the hose clamps off? It sounds like it is all being done by feel. Possible if you are an experienced in working on the XC70, but from what I am seeing, looking thru the intake manifold and diagrams, that looks really tough.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Oh I thought you just wanted to replace the vent hose. If you're talking about replacing the whole breather box then yes, the intake comes off.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:35 AM

For now all I am doing is the hose. I looked at it again last night after you replied, so I see what you were saying.
The dealership I use said that the box was coming up for replacement and it was an expensive job. Just not up for a whopping repair bill. Thank you for your help

Old 02-25-2017, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah it might be about due. Can't tell unless you check for pressure in the crankcase. There's not really a quick fix for replacing the box though.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm almost a year late for this post, but I would still post a reply for some body else to read; I just done service the breather system for my 07 XC70, it's not hard to do, but involve of remove a lots of parts thus times, that's why it cost so much at the dealership, if you buy the part online and spend the times to DIY, it won't cost much said less $100. There two thing you can do to save over $100; 1st- Breather box, yes if you let the dealer do it for you, they will replace it and charge you dearly, The breather box is nothing but a hollow plastic box, over time the oil, gunky stuff accumulated in side and clogged up the air and oil passage, remove it and inspect if it not cracked, dump the sludge inside the box out, use small knife to open and clean all the clogged passages, fill the gasoline or engine degreaser in the box, plug all the passages, let it soak for awhile, dump it out and rinse couple of times, then it good to reuse it. 2nd- you don't have to replace the metal part attach with the tiny plastic hose, the hose is brittle and break when remove, just clean the part and clear the nipple using a wire, buy a piece of rubber hose of same inside diameter and length to replace that broken tiny plastic hose.

Last edited by Thang Vora; 12-10-2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Fix the words
Old 12-15-2017, 09:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here I am again; there is no quick fix for breather system, and you can't remove those ring clamps to disconnect the hose by feeling, because you need a auger to pried the clamps, remove the intake manifold is a must, since the job take about an hour to remove the thing need to remove, if you do it the first time it might take longer, so while you at it just do complete service, the old said: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.", but I say if it broke replace it, but the breather box and hoses if it's not broke, you don't have to replace any thing just clean them, read my last post.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel your pain. And the reply about the tube from the PCV trap to the valve cover reply was just wrong, I don't know why some people say that that job is so easy. It is not a difficult job if you have done it before. The manifold removal is straightforward but the reinstallation of the "banjo" bolt on the manifold is very tricky and it's all too easy to pull the small tubes out of the larger tube if your not very careful. But many owners do this repair and maintenance them selves. Using synthetic oil and following the oil changes faithfully helps keep the PCV system from clogging sooner than later. That valve cover tube BTW gets brittle over time and the clamp as you have pointed out cannot just be felt around and or removed, again misinformation abounds on the internet. There are a number of great vids, I would watch them all, to help those DIY's do this job on U Tube and some other sites, search around. If your in a hurry though, this isn't the job to be in a hurry IMO, it is tedious and doing it yourself the first time can be a real pain, like I said the second time is much easier. BTW, I DON'T CLEAN the old PCV insulated tube, at about 260.00 bucks I replace it, the box and tube to the valve cover are about 30 bucks. UNFORTUNATLY SO MANY TALK ABOUT THIS REPAIR AS IF THEY DO IT EVERY DAY,...AND THEY FORGET TO MENTION ABOUT THE OIL PAN AND OIL PASSAGE!!! If your PCV system is compromised, then the oil passage is plugged. The channel in the block and oil pan is about the size of a small straw and frequently gets plugged, this buggers the whole system. IT NEEDS TO BE CLEANED OUT!! And while your at it that's the time to change the oil pan washers as well. There is NO shortcut to cleaning this passage, the oil pan needs to be removed, AND MANY DEALERS SKIP THIS STEP, unfortunately. You can clean the passage, sort of, when the box and manifold are out of the way by using a flexible wire rope and a drill and some carb or other nasty cleaner by pushing the spinning wire into the block passage convoluted as it is, and advancing the cleaning process , gently, till clear fluid drips out the oil pan drain hole. I frequently use a whole can of cleaner on this shortcut and then waste some oil in an attempt to get the cleaner out before refilling the oil pan. IPD makes a nice kit to replace the PCV system which includes the clamps. If you do, do the job yourself having the right clamps before hand is a real plus, as is being forewarned about the banjo bolt. I am also making this out to be a real difficult job, it isn't really the hand tools required are absolutely minimal, you just don't use a lot of tools on this job, the patience and did I mention patience required are the things that are difficult. The banjo bolt and not pulling the heater tube apart upon installation are what are fun. normally this doesn't need to be done till about 140 K miles, but if you have to replace the valve cover tube anyways, do it now! I hope this helps, feel free to search the internet and or ask more questions. Good luck.