Sunroof won't close, goes past to UP rear vent position

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 08:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunroof won't close, goes past to UP rear vent position

My new to me used '01XC70's sunroof isn't closing right. I should say first off that the inside slide visor trackslides are broken on the left side, it sticks but will move, the left side tracks are broken and the left side accordion/drip guard slide fell off/broke.

So there's two motions, the back and forth full opening of the glass, and the up and down rear vent/moonroof function.

There's no problem with the back and forth opening of the glass, but when I go to push it to close automatically, or manually with the switch, it goes past shut to halfway vented up in the back, open to the elements. I can push UP on the vent to fully up in the rear, and when I pull the switch to bring it back down, it resists and goes back up.

I've had to use the open close button and nudge it into position to keep it closed, I was detailing/waxing the car this week and noticed once that the glass wasn't closed evenly either, the driver's side was closed, the passenger side of the glass, tilted a bit open towards down, not fully closed up.

I know how to disassemble the glass/and repair the track sliders, I found that video on youtube, BUT a direction into what's going on parts or otherwise with the glass would be appreciated. I have some "guesses" as to what's going on but I'll leave that for now.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-02-2015, 12:01 AM

If it's adjusted properly then it sounds like you need to calibrate the sunroof

Old 09-02-2015, 01:14 PM

Thanks, I found this on a google search after your suggestion of "calibrating" I think that's the word that was missing from my googlefu if you will.

I'll give one or the other a shot today....
This was a post from another forum:
06 MY V70 D5 SE.
Sunroof operated o.k. but would not close flush with the roof or operate in "comfort" or fully tilted correctly, basically out of synch'.

Tried;
Sunroof (UEM reset?)
1) Close all of the doors and bonnet.
2) Key in position II engine not running.
3) Hold both the driver window and passenger window switches in the
driver door panel in the closed or up position for 5 to 8 seconds after the
windows are closed.
4) Release buttons.
5) Remove the ignition key.
6) Operated the remote twice. Lock/unlock lock/unlock

(Taken from this forum) with no luck.

Searched this forum for other solutions; With no luck.

Came across the following;

1 Turn the ignition switch to position 1.
2 Operate the sunroof switch to position the sunroof in the tilt position, then release the switch.
3 Press the switch again for at least 5 seconds, so the sunroof closes. The calibration is complete. NOTE; if the sunroof hasn't moved to the correct position, press the switch and completely open the sunroof, then release the switch-press the switch again for at least 5 seconds and fully close the sunroof. the calibration should now be complete.

All I can say is it worked for me, sunroof is now working perfectly.
Might be worth a calibration before you start unscrewing adjustment screws etc, that's what I was starting to do!

Hope this helps someone, lets face it now's the time we need to be able to use our sunroofs, UK weather permitting!

Old 09-02-2015, 10:54 PM

Yeah the second one was the calibration for the sunroof the first one sounds like how most people try to calibrate their windows. Glad I could be of some help.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:55 AM

Well... I tried it a couple times yesterday. I was kinda sick and tired, I have a long standing chronic health issue that just rears it's head some days, and yesterday wasn't a good one. I'll give it a shot again today but it just did not work. Could be the holes in my brain, but I do think this problem is more endemic of it needing some kind of adjustment.

When I finagle the roof closed against any possible rain when parked, or bugs, etc. getting in, the right side is definitely lower than the left.

When I close the glass from fully back open, it doesn't go to FULL vent open in the close position, I can still push it up with the switch to full closed/up vent position, but when I presss the close button, it goes to close stops and backs up open half-vent position, not fully open but not closed at all. I'll take a pic today of the off kilter I'm describing and post it, but I think I need to take this thing apart. It needs the track glides, and I THOUGHT I saw something about the drip tray getting bent and I wonder if that's interfering with the closing.

Pretty sure this thing needs some adjustment. I don't think it should be closing or opening offline, with the driver's side being higher than the passenger glass.
Oh well... Time to bust out the torx drivers I think.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry please help

My sunroof has these same symptoms. 02 V70 T5. Only opens half way, and cannot find the "closed/locked position. When in tilt position and attempting "key in pos I" calibration... Nothing happens. I cant even position my window using the switch so that it closes fully and doesnt make howling noises while driving.

Having the window, crossbar, and guides unattached i can operate the switch to have sliders go as far back as they can. Once i attach the slider and guide (without window) i can only operate it to the midway point. Leads me to think that I am not attaching everything properly...BUT dammed if I know because all parts fit together...I've fiddle farted with this thing too long already. Please help stop the madness.

Thanks
Nixonian