Volvo XC70, 2002, noise in front end, clunking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo XC70, 2002, noise in front end, clunking.

Can all who have something constructive to say please join in and help me with this problem?VOLVO V70 2002 UPPER ENGINE MOUNT.

When should the mount be replaced? I throw in this question because I need help.
i replaced the upper mount some 6 months ago. I started to notice a clunk when starting off.
I looked under the car and found the transmission mount shot. I replaced the mount thats twenty minutes I will never get back!

So pulled away and things did feel quite different (TIGHTER). Then I noticed another clunk when pulling away, I checked the other three lower engine mounts and all looked fine.

So I went back to the upper engine mount. Knowing that it was only 6 months old I was sure it was not at fault. Looking at it I could see nothing obvious. I decided to remove the mount completely. With the aid of a power tool the upper mount was out.

As some people have replaced this mount once or twice before and understand how the mount works can I ask you this question.

With the mount in my hand and looking directly into the rubber centre mount I could see it was made up of an outer metal case a centre Rubber mount with a metal piece running through the centre. The Rubber has two very thick parts attached to the outer ring and the metal centre is fixed between these points. The metal centre also has another square piece of rubber built around it.

The metal centre is in-fact just supported by the two thick pieces of Rubber that run from side to side.

My problem is this... these thick pieces of rubber supporting the centre mount are in perfect condition. However there is also a thin membrane of rubber between the two larger thicker mounts. If I was to illuminate one side of the mount you can see the light from the other side.

Does this mount need to be REPLACED? Answers on a post card please. I think this mount is sound do you know better? I am not worried about taking it apart again its a very simple job to do and replace.

Just tell me what you think about this mount? Also what can this clunk be I have eliminated all the engine mounts.

Thanks in anticipation of a REPLY>

Pat