All Other Volvo's Discuss the many other past Volvo models not listed above within.

1972 142 Carburetor Change out

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1972 142 Carburetor Change out

Hello everyone, I am new to both Volvo and this forum. I bought my son a 1972 142. The previous owner bought it as a project car and being in the army, he didn't have much time to work on it. He was very helpful when I bought it and disclosed everything he knew about it when I bought it. He said that it needed a new carburetor and recommended the Weber conversion kit. So I purchased the Weber K905 by Redline for the B20 engine. Here is where my problems begin. I swapped the carbs and started to bolt the Weber Carb and the manifold. The manifold and the carburetor share 4 bolts with a thick washer to withstand the needed pressure to ensure a tight fit. The only problem is that the thickness of the manifold is about .25 inches thicker than the new carb. QUESTION: Do I have to grind the manifold down to match the thickness of the new carb? Before I put the carb in place I held it over the position it would sit. I noticed that the throttle cable is way to long for the shorter, more compact Weber carburetor. QUESTION 2: Should I cut the existing cable to size and refit the moving pieces on the end of it, or maybe there is a way to route the cable without bending it? If you have the answers and know of future problems I may encounter please let me know. I have very little mechanical experience. I have rebuilt a Mitsubishi Eclipse engine after a dead heater core and blown head gasket using a Haynes manual as well as a Chevy Cavalier blown head gasket, so I do have potential. But the manuals were awesome step by step. The instructions that came with the Weber are pretty general and look as though they were written for someone with experience. The last bit of info was given, so that if you can provide me with some help, I would appreciate some readers digest explanations. Thanx in advance.........evolcire