All Other Volvo's Discuss the many other past Volvo models not listed above within.

New (old) volvo, locked & no keys

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a great thread on the '73 resurrection. Very timely for me. Thanks for the lead.

I have pulled the alarm module out, and am studying the wiring diagrams. I've brought it into a drawing program so I can color code it manually. Then I'll try to figure out how the alarm was wired in - I believe here is an ignition interlock device of some sort, which I need to remove.

I brought the locksmith out to my car yesterday - he tried for a bit, and seemed to be making progress, but then said it felt like one of the pins was stuck, and he didn't have any sort of spray lubricant for it. He suggested spraying some wd-40 or the like into the ignition, and then putting the key blank in, wiggle a bit. Try this a few times - then he would come back on a sunny day. It was pretty cold in my unheated garage - and the light was not great.
Basically the way they cut a key is to put the blank in, and then wiggle it back and forth - and find where the pins mark the key. It leave a slightly shiny spot on the key. Then he files that spot down. And keeps going like this, until the key turns.

He says that natural sunlight makes it much easier to see the metal, and find where you need to file it down. So I'll wait for a sunnier day - and we'll try again.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:46 AM
Banned

Any news on your 1800? How's it going now?

Old 06-17-2014, 08:44 PM

Well after two attempts - he was unable to make a key. He thought something was wrong with the cylinder. I found someone with a used ignition and key. I wrestled the old one out - it was VERY difficult to remove. I would have thought I was doing it wrong, but I was convinced it should come out.

I then towed it to my mechanic to drain and replace the fluids. After draining the gas tank- I did an electric de-rusting thing - see Capt. Ron posts for instructions. It works great. The fule pump was not working at all. I got it working, but my mechanic said not enough pressure was being generated so it needed a new one.

It has started up - and now needs a new muffler. I have ordered it, and await it's install. Then I'll probably bring it home, and try to figure out how to title/register it.