All Other Volvo's Discuss the many other past Volvo models not listed above within.

P1800 Bringing her back to life

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1800 Bringing her back to life

Hi all,

New to the forum, I searched the site but didn't find too much info about P1800s so I figured I'd start a new thread.

I have a 1967 P1800, it was my Dads car and I finally have the time to start the restoration. The body is almost totally rust free, with only two small dents in the side panel. The carb was rebuilt about 7 years ago and still looks very clean. I thought it was going to be as easy as draining the fluids, re-filling, changing plugs/wires/distributor/etc and starting her up but of course thats not the case...

I started by draining the gas tank, and the gas was full of rust. So I pulled the gas tank out, removed the level indicator so I could see in, and saw the inside was in covered in rusty sludge. I brew beer for a living so I am very used to cleaning metal, and with a quick acid wash it was looking good as new on the inside. Problem is, when I was draining the rusty acid, the dip tub that allows the gas line connection to suck gas off the bottom of the tank came off, and there is no way that I can see to get my hands in the tank to put it back on.

I see a few options:

1) buy a new tank (~$450)
2) Cut a hole in this tank, reconnect the dip tube, and weld the piece I cut back on. I have a friend that is a welder.
3) live with it and just know that when my gauge reads 1/2 full I need to fill up. (the gas line connection is about half way up the tank)

I wanted to see if anyone has run into this problem and has another suggestion? Or maybe someone has an old P1800 that is rusted out and I could buy the gas tank off them? Or maybe someone knows of another way to get in the tank (it looks like it might be a two piece tank but I don't want to try to pry it open without confirmation of that.)

Anyway, thanks for any responses, sorry for such a long post.

Cheers,
Roger

Old 11-13-2013, 05:53 AM

I just came across your post. I have a '73 ES that had the same problem including a leak in the fill tube at 1/2 a tank. I removed the tank and had it repaired but there still were problems. My solution was a new after-market tank from IPD out of Portland, OR.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Default gas tank, fuel issue

while the first link was years back, this info is current. My 1800S (1968) had sat for a decade - undriven. I pulled the old gas tank out and had it relined with Red-Kote Tank Reliner, then a new fuel line, new fuel pump, filter and rebuilt carbs. Estimate now about $600 not counting my time taking out and installing everything. Get the carbs done professionally (Rhys Kent in Victoria, B.C. is the master.) Runs smooth as silk, working now on the door cards (panels) rubber, seals, vent windows - all good.