Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

1998 S70 t5 Speaker and Head Unit install

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 S70 t5 Speaker and Head Unit install

Well i got sick of the stock crap that was in my car and decided it was time to do something. I already had my pioneer 8600mp from my talon before with the ipod interface and the dedicated Sirius tuner so i just installed that.

Taking the old radio out was easy as hell. you push 2 buttons in and they slide the radio right out. Next i went up to best buy and purchesed the wiring harness and a universal pocket to put under the radio. The pocket just slid right into place and than the radio slide right on top of it. The biggest pain in the *** that i had was making the Sirius tuner and the ipod interface fit behind the radio because there wasn't a lot of room. One thing i forgot when i installed the radio also was to hook up the power antenna lead to the 12v switch source, and now i get stat-icky FM radio. Doesn't really matter because i don't listen to anything besides the Sirius.

Next were the 3 pairs of kicker ds650 6.5" speakers i put in the front doors the rear doors and the rear deck.

Rear deck. This was the easiest of the 3. The rear deck cover pretty much pulled right out with some muscle (no screws holding it down). two 8mm nuts helddown each speaker and they slid right out with there housing. This is when i started to have fun. Since the factory speakers were 6 3/4" and the ones i bought were 6.5 i had to drill holes in the cradle that held the factory speaker and screw the 6.5's onto it. Not that hard. While i had the rear panel off it was a good opportunity to replace the dome lightfor the truck since it was assessable than.

Next the doors The front doors are only held onby one screw.( in the hand grip). after removing that screw my door paneltool helped a lot with loosening up the clips that help the door in about 8 spots.Than it was one screw to remove each speaker housing, which than i realized that there was no way to mount the speakers to the doors themselves. So i cut out the old speakers from the housings that they were in and drill the new speakers right into the old speakers rings. worked a lot better than i thought it would.

Haven't done the rear doors yest because i got tired. If anyone has done those before and have advice on what to do before i remove the rear door panels i would appreciate it.

And, if you are planning on doing this install you self and need some advice or more details on how i did mine let me know. I am iMECP basic installer.

Thanks,

Ken [/align]

Old 02-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Default RE: 1998 S70 t5 Speaker and Head Unit install

isnt the rear deck ins s70's 8's? I had 6.5's and the speaker looked smaller.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:52 PM

I have the same car as you and i am buying some 6x9's soon, 2 pairs for the front and rear doors and i was wondering how i could make them fit/ install them. I havent taken the panel off yet and looked but would they be too big to fit? because i know the stock ones are around 5 or 6"

Old 05-11-2008, 08:20 PM

I put a pair of 6.5's in the rear doors. First do the usual and take off the handle screw, the door panel, and then there are 4 screws holding in the speaker housing. Unscrew those and then disconnect the wires that lead to the housing to power the speaker(just a plug). my speakers had a mounting depth of 2.25" which came to be a problem with the speaker housing. I had to cut off the back of the plastic speaker housing so that the back of the speaker could fit in it(width problem) and then cut out part of the metal door also so that the back of the speaker could fit. Then screw in the new speaker to the housing, solder the two speaker wires to the housing, screw it back to the door and connect the plug and your ready to go.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Default speakers for my s70 1998

when i looked up the specs of my car audio, it was said the front was 7 inches and the back was 6x9. and chance you can give me the number and size of all the speakers and where they are, ie... 6.5 front (x2)

thanks

Old 11-14-2011, 07:16 PM

I just got done taking off the back doors and rear deck lid. The rear deck speakers are 8" round (still running on factory wires from the aftermarket HU), there are no speakers in the back door. The front speakers have already been replaced and re-wired, woofer and tweeter (6.5" in the door, 1/2" in the dash). I have the front channels on an aftermarket amplifier with two available channels for the rear.

Here is my dilemma:
Do I go to the trouble of finding factory mounting brackets and add 6.5 coax in the rear door

or

replace the deck lid speakers with 8" midbass drivers (turning out to be harder than I thought to find) and leave the doors blank