Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

aftermarket steering wheel radio controls ?

Old 08-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket steering wheel radio controls ?

I am trying to replace the HU-613 head unit in my 2001 S60. I have the adapter harnesses and a Scoshe din1 mounting kit.

I just realized, though, I don't have a solution to the steering wheel audio controls.

I checked Dietz adapters and the ones from Crutchfield and Sonicelectronix.

They list virtually every car but all Volvo's are listed as incompatible.

I am open to any type of stereo if anyone has of ANY solution that is known to work to make the steering wheel audio controls work with ANY aftermarket radio.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Last edited by ethyre; 08-29-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Default Steering Wheel Control

I upgraded the HU650 in my xc70 to a Pioneer Avic. I used the Axxess box to maintain steering wheel control. It works fine and the install was quick and easy.

Axxess Interface - Steering Wheel Control

Old 09-17-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by idlemind1999
I upgraded the HU650 in my xc70 to a Pioneer Avic. I used the Axxess box to maintain steering wheel control. It works fine and the install was quick and easy.

I can't find a wiring diagram on the Axxess website to show how which of the original wires need to be connected to the box. Do you have a guide for how to do it?

Old 09-19-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hellbus
I can't find a wiring diagram on the Axxess website to show how which of the original wires need to be connected to the box. Do you have a guide for how to do it?
I didnt find a diagram either... I called them and they told me what wires to use.

Its kind of a blur now, but I think its only 3 or 4 wires. CanHI/ CanLOW Power and one other... It auto-senses the car and radio.. but its best to call and have them look it up first hand.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:39 PM

I called and sure enough, it's just four wires - can hi and lo, power and ground.

For anyone interested, this is what the tech told me.

Pin 1 from the ASWC connects to A-7 (white wire in the car).
Pin 7 from the ASWC connects to A-8 (green wire in the car).
Pin 6 from the ASWC connects to ground.
Pin 12 from the ASWC connects to accessory 12-volt.

I have an '04 model, and the tech told me that only '06 and after are compatible. I'm going to try it anyway.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hellbus
I called and sure enough, it's just four wires - can hi and lo, power and ground.

For anyone interested, this is what the tech told me.

Pin 1 from the ASWC connects to A-7 (white wire in the car).
Pin 7 from the ASWC connects to A-8 (green wire in the car).
Pin 6 from the ASWC connects to ground.
Pin 12 from the ASWC connects to accessory 12-volt.

I have an '04 model, and the tech told me that only '06 and after are compatible. I'm going to try it anyway.
Cool... Let us know how you make out. Good phone support dont you agree. When I called, it seemed like it forwarded to his cell

Old 09-27-2011, 05:46 PM

The ASWC didn't work with my vehicle. However, the story doesn't end there. Earlier web searches led me to look for a Dietz CAN adapter, and Perzan Auto Radio as a seller. I contacted them, and was told that the Dietz part is no longer available, but there is a component made by Paser called Unican Plus. From seeing your posts on other forums, you might be interested in this as well, idlemind1999.

I emailed info@perzanautoradio.com and got this reply:
Thanks for your e-mail. We used to be the Dietz distributor in the US, but Dietz stopped producing the components for Volvo.

We now import a component called the Unican Plus by Paser which will provide you with not only steering wheel commands but also illumination output and reverse gear and speed pulse output if your replacement radio happens to be a navigation unit.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Default 2001 V70 steering wheel volume controls

hello, i'm trying to find out how to use the steering wheel radio controls for my kenwood stereo. based on what i read here i called Axxess spoke to a tech, he said if i can get the voltage, impedance and ohms of the wires coming out of the steering wheel they have an adapter that will work. he said the steering wheel controls in this model year are resistance based so the axxess module would work.
So does anyone have wiring schematics for the steering wheel wiring harness on a 2001 V70 2.4T wagon.

thanks

Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 AM
Default Dietz CANBUS Steering Wheel Control

Dietz CANBUS adapter is available for Volvo see the link below.

Audiotechnik Dietz - Online Shop

Old 08-13-2014, 09:38 PM

I see that no one has posted here for a while, but I installed a bluepower head unit in my 2004 s60 with the canbus that I purchased from them and the steering wheel controls work perfectly.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:14 AM
Default Steering wheel controls where none exist

Hey guys,
Let me start by saying I am not dumb enough to think that I can put a steering wheel with audio controls in it and they will work, BUT, I would love to have them.

Is it possible and how difficult would it be to install a steering wheel with audio and cruise control switches and do the remaining work to make them work.

I have seen in the past sometimes cruise control was a dealer installed option at times, but I know that has not been the case for quite a while. My car is A 2001 with a 5 speed manual (yes manual) transmission.

We needed a car and this one seems to be perfect mechanically. I had it checked out by the shop I take my cars to and they said it was solid. The exterior is perfect, but the interior is trashed. So, I got it for 900 bucks.

I drives like a dream, and I actually like driving 5 speeds, so it is cool. But, there are things I would like to do to it.

Thankls for any advice,
Jimm

Old 09-29-2014, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by idlemind1999

Neither the Axxess website not Crutchfield are committal as to whether the Axxess ASWC-1 will fit my 2003 V70. What year is your XC70? I'm trying to get an idea if they are equal non-committal on your vehicle, where the Axxess unit works.

Here's the new link to the Axxess unit:
ASWC-1 [ASWC-1] Axxess Integrate, Comprehensive Interface Products

Thanks for sharing.

Anybody else have the Axxess working on an '03 model?

Old 11-19-2014, 01:07 PM
Default That's awesome!

Originally Posted by gordon7
I see that no one has posted here for a while, but I installed a bluepower head unit in my 2004 s60 with the canbus that I purchased from them and the steering wheel controls work perfectly.
Hi!
I have the same model and year as you do: 2004 S60.
Please share your experience. Please specify exact mark and model of the canbus you use.
Thanks in advance.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:06 PM
Old 01-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Old 04-03-2015, 12:29 PM
vtl

Hi,

I mated Kenwood DDX-371 and 2005 XC70 with help of Arduino + CAN-bus shield adapter for under $40, see https://github.com/vtl/volvo-kenwood

It also has automatic dim control (LCD darkens with everything else on the dashboard) and in the future it would be easy to do automatic switch to rear view camera when transmission is in reverse.

Adaptation for other model year is relatively simple, can be done with help of inexpensive (~$10) logic analyzer. Other brand of head unit is also possible, if Google knows the protocol.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:15 PM

Will i need anything like this on an 04 s60 with the HU613 replacement? 8 speakers, no amp. Will I lose cruise control?

Old 02-10-2016, 06:48 AM
Default How to connect steering wheel control 4 wires from aftermarket stereo to S60?

Hi

I just replaced my HU-850 with an after market 2 din stereo which is prepared for factory steering wheel control without any additional modules required. I have got 4 wires going from the stereo SWC1, SWC 2, Ground and IR. In order to connect the stereo I have bought Volvo to ISO plug adaptor which has got CAN1 and CAN2 outputs. Anybody could help me to figure out how to connect those 4 wires?

Thanks

Old 06-20-2016, 12:27 PM

Hi, i'm new to this forum, am 32, from Norway and i was hoping that some of you smart guys could help me with this audio problem i have.
I dont want to take the topic away from the autor, but in the same time i dont want to make a new post, since its about aftermarket stereo i a Volvo

Thing is that i changed my stereo in my XC70 2007 from a (I think) HU-650 with phone on the side to a Kenwood DAB+ radio using a CRUX SWRVL-54 Wiring Interface.. and i got everything to work, except my reverse alarm.. I stil got a few wires left when i "finished" yesterday.
VSS speed and Reverse on the CRUX, and Mute on the Kenwood. And my factory navi dont work, but i guess that's cos i didn't have anything to connect the melbus to

So what i'm asking is, does anyone know what i need to connect to get the reverse alarm to work again?
Do i need the VSS speed, and if so, where do i connect that?
What about the mute? Dont have mute on my Steering wheel, so do i need to connect that?
And last, i'm hoping here..do you know of any solutions to get the melbus and navi going again, without changing the stereo again?

I really hope for some good answers, cos this is the only place i've found, that seem to know what i'm talking about when i mention the CRUX.
and after looking around your forum, it seams that there's allot of knowledge in this forum!

Ice_Man aka Tor!