Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Sirius Module kills entire radio?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius Module kills entire radio?

Recently my radio just died in my 2008 S80. The LCD is blank and I've got nothing. While it was on it's way it out, which only took a few days, it started to go in and out with the LCD and Radio coming to life for for periods of time and then going back out. During this time you could tap the side of the console and have the radio come in and out. Now it's completely dead.

I've taken it to my Volvo Dealership in Ontario CA and my mechanic is telling me its my Sirius Module (31346363), which has been buggy since I purchased the car. The way he explains it, the radio system is on a circuit and when one part of the circuit loses connectivity, the whole system goes down.

1) If that's true, it's a horrible design on Volvo's part.
2) Considering the satellite module is in the trunk, why would me tapping the side of the center console do anything at all when the radio was on it's way out. My guess would be it's the radi0/CD changer unit behind the LCD.

My dealer wants $1100 to replace and program the module. I couldn't care less about Sirius since I don't use it now. So the idea of spending $1100 for a module replacement for a piece of the puzzle I don't even use kills me. And honestly, I'm fairly certain I could do all the work myself and save $$$ online with the price of the module in doing so. Then just pay them to program it.

But my biggest issue is I simply don't believe the diagnosis. It makes no sense. Again, why would tapping the console do anything if the issue is the module in the trunk?

I've disassembled the dash and checked and reseated all connections. Still nada.

Has anyone else run into this?
And does anyone know of an aftermarket radio solution for the >2008 models?

Thanks in Advance:
JavaJnky