Canada, Over Seas & Elsewhere Not from the states? Everywhere else post here.

Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi new volvo owner in Hamilton

98 S70.

cheers,

T.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Default Hello

New volvo owner (not new car) volvo 850 1995, 2.4 L engine, not turbo but has economy and sport options, I drive economy all the time, it's fast enough for me.

I live in the GTA, East of Toronto area.

S

Old 11-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Default New owner old volvo

I just bought an 850 wagon as I dj and need the space and can't stand minivans my question is in Ontario can I put 5% tint int the rear 3 windows? Any in put welcome.

I do know 35% is the recommended darkness which is what I want on the other 4 windows

Old 11-10-2012, 09:51 PM

Hi guys new volvo owner currently in etobicoke moving to Trenton in December. I also ride motorcycles. Do we volvo guys get together anywhere in Ontario? Wife hates it when I go across to Port Dover on the bike leaving her at home with the kids lol...

Old 11-13-2012, 04:06 PM

I have a set of Volan rims I'm trying to get rid of. My car pooched on me and the rims are mint, no curb scuffs or anything. They come with potenza 205/50/17 with lots of life left I'm pretty sure. They're 2 seasons old and were $690 new. the rims have never seen snow or salt. looking for $600 obo. I'm located in Sudbury but I could deliver if it's not TOO far, or even consider shipping depending on pricing.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:44 AM

I just had my car towed to Le on Bloor street west, Toronto yesterday, for same issue as last time but this time (slack accelerator pedal due to accelerator cable popping off at engine) it will be fixed properly as this time it's not some other garage who orders parts from dealer only and I know he is good as he picked up the exact thing the CAA guy told me the first time as to what was wrong with it, thank goodness for this forum help. He seems like a great and genuine guy, the first thing he told me was not to worry he'd not rip me off or be half as expensive as those others garages out there and gave an example of someone who had theirs fixed that would have cost $400 but cost him $200 with him, well thank goodness for that. He said car should be fixed and ready today and he'd call me. That's fast. I am keeping him as my regular garage from now on.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:05 PM

black 96 wagon here in brampton/ sault ste marie .
we should have an ontario volvo meet sometime

Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 AM

Welcome aboard, I'm in Ontario now that I moved to Ottawa. My 2001 S40 moved with me and she likes it here lol

Old 12-02-2012, 10:02 PM

Good idea with meeting up. Where would we all meet, Niagara falls? Ontario is a big place.

Car was fixed well that last time, it went back again yesterday as I had the arrow flashing on dashboard which relates to transmission. Oddly the day after it initially flashed it was okay again and car running fine. Then while driving down the highway it started flashing again and the fuel guage and kmh guage died, worrying. I rang and told the mechanic I was bringing it straight to him (he told me to do this if I ever have any issues with the car).

Today he rang me, it's ready. He had already planned to fix the odometer for me and changed the switch in there so it's working now, I asked if he had fixed the flashing light issue which relates to transmission, he said it's not a problem now, so I mentioned it wasn't the day after it was the last time, but don't let that fool you. He has checked it he said and it's aok now?

Question time: Would fixing the odometer to it working again, resolve that problem with the flashing orange light on the dash then???

I thought the arrow related to a transmission issue not fixing the odometer and addressing the emission light that had always been on continuously, but MAYBE that does fix it all then?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:26 AM
Default New member, Toronto

Hi fellow Ontarians,

Just posted in the New Members section. Glad to have found you all!

Hi all,

Found this forum while doing a search for Volvo mechanics in Toronto. Glad to be here.

Just bought an '02 V40. Previously had a '00 V70. I know a 10-year-old car doesn't seem like much of an upgrade, but love the discontinued V40s (and to a lesser extent, V50s), and am going to drive this one--even with its minor issues--for a while until they decide to re-introduce the small wagon to the North American market.

Hope to learn lots here.

Cheers!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 AM

Helloo...
N ewbie here!!!!

just bought a C70 ..220 000km...
hoping to get it on the road friday...
Any good places for used parts?

I am in cambridge/kitchener so anywhere local to there would be a great help!!!

email:blackwidow2_5@hotmail.com

Old 04-16-2013, 11:03 PM

Hi everyone!

I live in York Region with a '93 940 Turbo.

Hope to see your volvos around!

-JM

Old 12-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackwidow2_5
Helloo...
N ewbie here!!!!

just bought a C70 ..220 000km...
hoping to get it on the road friday...
Any good places for used parts?

I am in cambridge/kitchener so anywhere local to there would be a great help!!!

email:blackwidow2_5@hotmail.com
Hi - not sure but I've had really good luck using:
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
and specifying the region you are after. I usually end up driving across the boarder at Lewiston NY as more often than not the price of the parts down there is worth the trip down. Having said this, I have found a few good deals for wreck yards up here as well.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:13 PM

Re used parts ,you are just next to Guelph where Hamilton Motors have the largest
Volvo parts sales in north America,600 damaged cars plus a large inventory of parts..
Only 20to 30K from you. Good luck Ed

Old 01-05-2014, 01:55 PM

Just registered. Markham, Ontario.

On my fourth PV544 now which is under major reno.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:16 AM

CNDRODDER ,You know how to hurt a Volvoer,PV544was my first Volvo,
my last was a V70 with all the extras,even the fold out and up table
for the rear passengers. I do miss it,can't wait for the new V60

Old 01-07-2014, 12:12 PM

Edward, had my first (a '59 B16) while in university (many moons ago...) then got a '62 B18 from BC which was an awesome car that was broadsided by a kid in a Galaxie station wagon. Then in the 80's, I picked up a '64 that I was going to do something major with but when I tore it down, it turned out to be much less than I expected so I did a major detailing with it stripped to the firewall and then sold it.

After that, I turned my attention to hot rodding and '32 Fords. A few years ago, I picked up from a friend, a '61 that had been in storage for 30 years that someone abandoned during a "sort of" restoration.

Should you have some time to kill, you can see where it's going here (I'll apologize in advance for abandoning the PV powerplant but being a hot rodder..):

1961 Volvo PV544 Project - Canadian Rodder Hot Rod Community

All the best...Frank

Old 01-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Default I Must be an older fart

Hi Frank
My first vehical was a 1927 Ford pickup,soft top 2nd 1936 round dash Ford
convertible with a rumble seat, these are 145 cars back,
I was a Rodder as well, 1938 Cadilac coupe, Ildbrock heads, plus the rest of the works,
won't bore you wth the rest of the 144 cars,some Realy great ones..

Last edited by Edward R; 01-07-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:28 AM

1938 Cadillac Coupe! That's a rare car these days.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:48 PM

I know a few of you mentioned on here that 1 Four O Nine is a good mechanic in Toronto, but here's my take (posted on the thread titled "Volvo Automotive Service & Body in Toronto"):

I also went to 1 Four on Nine a few times, and was also very disappointed. Perhaps the original mechanic, Mr. Le, had years of experience, but when I was there, he mentioned retiring, and his son took care of a lot of questions/issues, which leads me to think that it's the (less experienced) son who did the work on my car or is taking over the business. I'll list him here as the "junior mechanic" and the older Mr. Le as "senior mechanic". Three disappointments in three visits:

1) The first thing the junior mechanic told me after I brought the car in? "I Googled the scanner code." Gee, I did that too. I would have expected a good mechanic to be able to tell me right away what the code is without Googling it, and that he'd seen it before, and knew exactly how to fix it or not fix it. This didn't inspire much confidence; I should have been warned. Not only did he charge in his hourly rate for "fixing this" (he re-set the code) and didn't fix it, but the code reappeared twice. After that third time, I just haven't bothered bringing it back since then. So it cost me a couple of hundred $$ for nothing. (My new mechanic looked at it and said, “I could look at it for you, but this code should really be dealt with at the dealer.” He didn't "Google" it, was honest, and it didn’t cost me a dime for this diagnosis.)

2) I told senior mechanic about the passenger-side windshield wiper arm not making contact properly with the windshield, making an arc so that I couldn't clean the shield properly. I asked, could it simply be straightened or did the arm need to be replaced? Senior mechanic said the wiper itself was bad and needed to be replaced (I had just bought new Rain-X wipers that week). He offered to replace it with a brand that he had in the shop. Charged me $15 + tax, and being cheaper than the Rain-X, of course the rubber came flapping off within a week. Obviously, the arc problem was not fixed. I returned to the shop (when I returned to get the above scanner code problem reviewed), and he popped the rubber back in, but within another week, the wiper again failed. So I drove around several months effectively with half a windshield wiped (partial view out of passenger side), and cursed that he threw out my brand-new Rain-X wiper, replacing it with a much worse item. My new mechanic told me plainly that the arm needed to be replaced. Problem solved.

3) This place may have offered a cheaper labour rate than most other places, but charged heftily for parts. I had researched on-line the consumer price of various minor parts (replacement headlights, buttons, filters, etc.), and this shop charged almost twice what I saw. My new mechanic offered me the choice of non-OEM parts, used parts, and OEM parts directly from the dealer. No such thing at 1 Four O Nine.

On top of all that, I had told both mechanics that I had bought the car second-hand, and asked if there were major problems that I needed to know about. They didn't mention anything other than the minor issues that I had already known about or brought to their attention. My new mechanic six months later said, "Your suspension and struts are seriously shot, and when we hoisted the car, we noticed that the previous owner had attached the underside with cable ties. Did you know this?" Of course not. That's why I had trusted the first mechanic to look at the underside.

In summary: Four O Nine isn't the most competent/knowledgeable, and isn’t the cheapest if they’re going to charge a lot for parts. Toronto is a big city, and there are many other knowledgeable, fair mechanics. Like lovemy240, I would have given my money and recommended others to this shop if they had treated me right in the first place. (I won't highjack this post, but have posted details on my new mechanic in the "Ontario" thread as well as other threads requesting good mechanics.)

Finally, I have serious questions about the original poster’s exacting details, advertisement-like phrasing, and precise knowledge about this shop, especially phrasing like “I see KWL Wayne always walking to others shop borrowing tools which leads to me”. If the original poster is actually a consumer, how does he/she see a mechanic around the corner from this shop "always" walking to others' shops (unless the poster himself/herself is "always" at 1 Four O Nine), or how does he/she know exactly that Wayne is "borrowing tools"? And what does "leads to me" mean--lead back to "me sitting at 1 Four O Nine"? Just food for thought . . .

Quick Reply: Ontario