Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your insides here.

engine noise coming from my v70

Old 09-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine noise coming from my v70

So I decided to post this knowing that engine noise can indicate that a car needs some kind of service soon, and also knowing that I have a tight budget.

I was driving a little bit on low oil, and decided to put some new motor oil in myself. The oil level is fine now, but the engine is still making a noise. It is a sort of rhythmic knocking which doesn't increase when accelerating. It knocks at a moderate volume a number of times for a second or two (almost as if someone was shaking a tin can with a pebble inside), then patters quietly for a second or two, then knocks again at the same rhythm as before. It's not incredibly loud, but it's more than noticeable. When I popped the hood, it sounded a lot like it was coming from the engine, or perhaps below the engine.

Any thoughts in what is causing it? Will it need a pricey engine repair? Is it ok to drive? I'm going to take it to service in a couple days so I will see what they have to say then. The engine isn't that old (only a few years) but I've driven a lot on it and it has over 200k now I think.

The timing belt was replaced recently, so it's not that. Also, sometimes the ignition is stubborn and the car doesn't feel like starting, though so far it has started after a couple of tries (and it normally works ok).

Old 10-01-2013, 11:34 PM

Hi ... !
Recently i also faced the same problems , the noise or sound coming from engine is usually due to to parts which or not working properly , you should must check it properly and also clean the dust or mud from engine , dust may also cause problem .

Old 10-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

It is not possible for us to help with noises. It would be best if you did a short video, post it somewhere, then link it here.

200,000 miles is not a whole lot but is no spring chicken for a mechanical item.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:05 AM

why you do not try new engine? i know a place ENGINE Spare Parts: AM Car Parts has Largest Stock of ENGINE Parts in UK. where from you will must get your all the desired car parts and accessories on affordable rates and in good quality too.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:52 AM
Default Volvo AWD problems/failiure?

I recently bought a 2000 volvo V70 XC AWD. I took it up to the snow this weekend. Wen driving through snow to see how it does, the car got stuck after a few feet. So i came to a stop then started pressing the gas again but instead of the back wheels kicking in (and the light showing that coming on) nothing really happned and i heared a whirring/rattling noise coming from the engine/transmision. I tried this a few times and got the same result.
I read on these first generation cross country's, the bevel/angle gear was a problem. That they leaked gear oil and eventualy failed. There is a small leak on the bottom of my car, not so bad to leak on the ground but its wet.
Also i saw a big cloud of smoke in the back of the car as i drove off n headed up the mountains.

What can this be? What should i do?