Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Preparing used engine..

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparing used engine..

Just bought a B5234T9 from a 2003 C70 to go in my 97 850R Sedan.129,xxx mileson the replacement engine. 239,xxx miles on the chassis.

The sedan is a project car I picked up to go with my 97 850R wagon. Main purpose is to be a spare car, but I decided I wanted to have some fun with it, too.

Original engine has a bad knock that I'm 95% sure is a bent rod - but I won't know til the engine is out and I tear it down. I am mechanically inclined, but my biggest automotive project to date has been a head swap on my wagon when I burnt a valve. I have a few local friends and mentors who are very experienced with this sort of thing, so I have a good support group if I need an extra set of hands, advice, etc.

I am trying to make a list of what I need to do to this new engine before dropping it in. I realize some modification will be necessary to put the RN engine in an older car - so while that's not the main intention of this post, if you have any suggestions in that area, please advise.

My goal is to install the engine in the spring. There will be times when I don't have any budget to buy parts for the project, and there will be times where I have good cash flow. Equally important is the fact that there will be times when I have a good amount of spare time, and there will be times when I can't find any. So, it's not a short term project.

My intentions so far....

Replace all 4 cam seals with new Volvo seals
Replace rear main seal with new Volvo RMS
Replace all 5 plugs with new Volvo plugs
Replace turbo drain gaskets
New Bougicord Plug Wires, Bosch Rotor and Cap
New engine mounts
Timing set including water pump, idlers, tensioner
PCV kit (need to figure out which parts I use from the 'old' style kit, and the 'new' style kit
All 8 coolant hoses need replaced. Some on the car are original, and the others are Uro, so it's a complete write-off
Oil Cooler Lines

Do I need to drop the pan, and replace any o rings under the pan? I know this is an issue with the original engines and lifter ticking - but was this 'fixed' by 2003? Or is it something that I should just do, because the engine is out of the car, and I have easy access to it?

What am I forgetting?

Old 10-30-2019, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever end up finishing swap?