General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

(Almost) New 2016 S80 owner...questions

Old 11-02-2015, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Almost) New 2016 S80 owner...questions

Greetings and thanks for taking the time to read/respond to this thread...
Actually the car is new (3 miles) and I am almost the owner....need to finalize financing...

My wife and I walked into a Volvo dealership prepared to talk turkey on some s60s they had and wanted to visually check them out. Upon entering the showroom off in the corner was a S80 with a sign, $6K off!...Hmmm
Spouse *really* liked they car and after some negotiation, sales person came down another $750. This put the car at 39250. (reasonable deal?) This put the S80 about 1.5K below the MSRP S60 packages we were looking at. The S80 comes with the convenience pkg only. We are basically giving up the BIS (has enhanced paint, 18"wheels, moonroof, heated front seats, wood inlays, etc), which, all things considered was a reasonable tradeoff....(comments about this?)

So, with the price more or less agreed to, started asking about extended warranties and it was all a big secret...no brochures to describe options, no pricing was available (it all depended on package/duration etc.) This really pissed me off as I am familiar with this stuff and there should have been at least a brochure....
So, my questions:
1. reality check on the price....good deal?
2. Pointer to descriptions on volvo extended warranty OR other extended warranty options?
3. I tend to keep my cars a long time, e.g. 12-15 years. the engine is the drive-E T5 240 hp turbo/intercooler/blower engine. Consumer reports rates reliability high...I don't have much experience with volvo...owned saabs since 1980...Advice/experience on volvos newer engines and reliability of the s80?
I appreciate any feedback!
TYVM
John

Last edited by three_jeeps; 11-02-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-21-2015, 07:54 PM

John, since your post was a couple of weeks old, you must have made a decision without getting any feedback. It doesn't surprise me that no one commented on the reliability of the new engine. I think it was just intro'd in 2015, so unless they were failing prematurely there would not be much of an experience base. We just bough an S80 T5 through the overseas delivery, and it was fine in the 1000+ miles we drove in Europe lest month. We're waiting now for it to get to our dealer. I had looked around few web sites to see about pricing, and it would seem to me that your deal is good. I don't know anything about extended warranty though.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Rolfes
John, since your post was a couple of weeks old, you must have made a decision without getting any feedback. It doesn't surprise me that no one commented on the reliability of the new engine. I think it was just intro'd in 2015, so unless they were failing prematurely there would not be much of an experience base. We just bough an S80 T5 through the overseas delivery, and it was fine in the 1000+ miles we drove in Europe lest month. We're waiting now for it to get to our dealer. I had looked around few web sites to see about pricing, and it would seem to me that your deal is good. I don't know anything about extended warranty though.
Thank you for your reply. Yea, my spouse *really* liked the car and I ended up getting it. By all accounts in my searching, seems like a better than average deal. Yea, the engine and tranny setup is fairly new1-2 years old and a little early to get a lot of data...I generally 'go by the book' on engine fluids so I'll stick with the castrol edge (I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic), but I do have heart burn with the recommend 1st oil change being 10K miles. I'll probably do it at 3K. Drove the car a little and seems super solid but a little quirky. I don't like the option of shutting the engine off at stop light and then restarting when I hit the gas. I wish there was a way to permanently disable it. Engine seems strong and smooth. The 8 speed tranny is a little strange...It shifts smoothly at the shift points, and while I sometimes feel the shift, it makes a definite sound and there is a lag in the sound of about 2 seconds. Just a strange sensation to me.
The glass dash is cute but I would have liked at least one of the themes to have numbers on the fuel gauge, water temp, and to show the oil pressure and batter voltage. It would not be that hard. Seems like they let the artistic designer loose without a lesson in what meaningful data is. Oh well, maybe they will provide theme updates at the dealership (for a price I am sure).
My spouse and I considered the European delivery but we needed a car now and could not afford a trip to Sweden in this time frame and the long lag till the car would arrive in the states. I hope you had a good experience with it. BTW, I assume you could have gotten a stick with European delivery? Am a little disappointed they quit offering them here.
In any case, good luck with your car and thanks for responding...
-John

Old 11-25-2015, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

If there's a problem with the charging system or oil pressure, the car will let you know. No need for a gauge. Volvo hasn't used those gauges in decades.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
If there's a problem with the charging system or oil pressure, the car will let you know. No need for a gauge. Volvo hasn't used those gauges in decades.
yea, I know. call me an old fashioned engineer....I prefer to see how the vehicle is performing. It is fairly straight fwd in the dash software to have this function.
Just because they have not been used in decades, doesn't mean they arn't useful...at least to me. I am not a big fan of abstraction to this high a degree.

I did some work in fighter aircraft cockpit design, back in the day. There were a number of studies that showed interpretation of aircraft situational awareness was quicker when pilots could determine the state of the aircraft by a quick scan of the gauges and determining their position, than taking the time to read a series of digits. Yea, I know car versus aircraft but the results still hold.

The car will let you know only if the software is well designed and free from defects. Having been on the review team of an automobile mfg sw, I can only say that, the sw is not as good as you think.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I hear ya. Most people don't care about that stuff though, especially if the car is monitoring it for them.

We don't have any issues with software with regard to the warning lights. The problems we are are drivers who decide that "Low Oil Pressure- Stop Engine Now" can be ignored so they keep driving and lock up the engine.