General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Any ideas on this challenge ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas on this challenge ?

Hello ... I have an odd, intermittent challenge ... occasionally when I try to start my 2006 Volvo V70 wagon, the engine does not engage. Everything lights up on the dashboard and the radio works but there is no sound from the engine.
The car will start again a little later (no rhyme or reason to the timing - once it was within 20 minutes - another time we just let it sit until the next morning and then it started fine).
Replaced the battery so it's not this ...
A few years ago I replaced the ignition - had the challenge where the car wouldn't do anything - could this new problem possibly be related ?
Had my car to my Volvo dealer for an entire week - they tried to duplicate the problem multiple times a day but couldn't ! Brought the car home and it let me sit that very evening -
I am the original owner of this car - 50,000 miles - it's my baby - hope you can help me!
MANY THANKS!
Happy Volvo Gal (or at least I will be again if I can get this fixed!)

Old 07-17-2014, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Happy Volvo Gal
Hello ... I have an odd, intermittent challenge ... occasionally when I try to start my 2006 Volvo V70 wagon, the engine does not engage. Everything lights up on the dashboard and the radio works but there is no sound from the engine.
The car will start again a little later (no rhyme or reason to the timing - once it was within 20 minutes - another time we just let it sit until the next morning and then it started fine).
Replaced the battery so it's not this ...
A few years ago I replaced the ignition - had the challenge where the car wouldn't do anything - could this new problem possibly be related ?
Had my car to my Volvo dealer for an entire week - they tried to duplicate the problem multiple times a day but couldn't ! Brought the car home and it let me sit that very evening -
I am the original owner of this car - 50,000 miles - it's my baby - hope you can help me!
MANY THANKS!
Happy Volvo Gal (or at least I will be again if I can get this fixed!)
Almost like a bad Neutral Safety Switch, which used to be a common Saab problem. When the switch starts going bad, the car thinks the car is not in neutral or park, and doesn't let the starter try to engage.