Any thoughts? Electrical issue

Old 10-24-2014, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any thoughts? Electrical issue

Howdy!
I have a 1980 Volvo GL 240 series. It has 236,000 km on it and it normally purrs like a kitten
It started having electrical problems, checked the battery replaced it, checked the alternator and it was good.
It would run fine and then when you turned the signal light on the engine would die like it wasn't getting fuel. and then wouldn't want to start. it would crank fine, seemed like it wasn't getting fire or fuel. If you let is set, after while it sometimes would start again. just don't turn the signal on! left me stuck in an intersection, not a nice feeling.
We wire brushed the 3 grounds under the hoods and greased and tightnened them up, thought it was fixed, it wasn't ..
We left the battery off over night as someone suggested that there might be a computer as it is fuel injected. and now is seems to run again.
I asked a parts dealer about the possibility of a wiring harness, and was told that old of a car it would have to be made up special, and in those cars there was several harnesses.
We did have one other electrical issue, and that was that every 4=6 months, spometimes the heater fan fuse would die and have to be replaced.but other than that, there was no other problems.
Would really like to get the car back purring again. There are NO Volvo dealers for several hundred miles, as we are in a remote location.
Would really like anyones' thoughts.
Also. my internet server is having problems, so it might be a fair amount of time for me to reply to any posts...
Thanks for any thoughts

Old 10-24-2014, 09:06 PM

forgot to mention when the signal light acts up, ( sometimes it is fine)
the amp light comes on and there often is a buzzing sound and then the engine dies.
The alternator has tested fine...
nite hawk

Old 12-03-2014, 11:03 PM

our problem with our 1980 Volvo been diagnosed as a ignition switch problem by an electrical mechanic, and we will have to pull the old ignition switch out and replace it, but being an older car and in the dash we can't seem to find any information on how to remove the switch and replace it. we looked on youtube, but everything there only covers ignition switches on the steering column, any idea were we can find diagrams or videos that would inform us on how to pull and replace the switch in that old of car?
Thanks for any ideas..

Old 12-14-2014, 06:10 PM

when i turn the car off...5-10 minutes later my battery light comes on..DISCHARGING..?? I Disconnect my Battery posts if i will be out of the car for more time than that. I've changed the battery and voltage regulator . yet the Problem continues....!!! Any ideas.??