General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

crack on the interior of my 2011 XC60 T6 AWD tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crack on the interior of my 2011 XC60 T6 AWD tailgate

Hi
For no reason whatsoever that I know of, a few days back I started hearing a louder noise than usual every time my automatic tail gate closed. Then I spotted after 3 days a crack in the structure. I took it to my dealer who showed it to a Volvo Canada inspector who ruled that this is not a production defect and that it would thus not be covered by Volvo. Anyone ever experienced the same thing? .... would appreciate your experiences

Old 05-04-2016, 10:13 AM

Just stumbled on this.. LOL. Same problem here on 2013 XC60 T6 back in early April. One day as the liftgate was lowering, a loud crack sound occurred about 3/4 of the way from being fully closed. Door closed and locked normally. When opened, the interior plastic trim around the window had come loose, and cracks in the fiberglass just below the lifter arms appeared.

The car has been inspected by Volvo dealer, and now Insurance Adjuster/Inspector. No evidence of any exterior forces (ie hit by another car or something). Door was still in good alignment and lifter working properly. No obstructions to door closing were involved.

The Tailgate was dismantled. All door mechanisms were found to be in good working order. Car has been sitting in shop for almost a month now while Volvo researches whether this is a defect. Car is still under warranty.

If not covered as a warranty issue, this will cost me $1700 to fix.

Not a Happy Camper.

JS Falls Church, VA.

Last edited by jsimmons0352; 05-04-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:37 AM

HI J

I am sorry to hear that but to be honest I am not surprised! I got after posting this message my own private inspector and he confirmed to me for sure that this is a manufacturing defect. Although Volvo Canada has wiped its hands clean of it, my dealer turned out to be very decent and changed it for a much smaller fee that I shared although I should not have paid a penny.

Word of advice, fight for it! this is definitely not your fault but these days no one wants to admit of their wrongdoing and companies just want to save money. Period!

check your local autombile protection association and get a private inspector to give you a technical professional and certified report. this will be your tool to push VOLVO to do the right thing

Good luck

Old 05-04-2016, 10:56 AM

Thanks...

After Volvo inspected it, they suggested I take it to a collision repair facility and work it as an insurance claim, indicating the rear may have been "hit". Both the independent collision repair facility (where the car is now), and Insurance inspector both indicate there is no signs of a collision. So insurance won't cover it. At this point, its a defective tailgate in my opinion. I've been a customer at the Volvo dealer for over 30 years (XC 60 is my 5th Volvo there), so I'm expecting them to do right by me. We'll see.

Thanks!
JS

Old 05-04-2016, 11:13 AM

Tried the same amd naturally the insurance would wipe their hands clean of it too as there was no obvious and clear cause to it .
the only way I see you getting what you deserve, is by having your dealer live up to their name and replace it for a very small fee if NOT totally free!

Best of luck

Old 05-04-2016, 11:23 AM

Yep... I'll certainly share the resolution. Thanks for your feedback. We do love the XC60 and do want to keep it.

JS

Old 05-04-2016, 11:29 AM

Oh yes for sure... we love ours too it's a beautiful car

Good luck again

Old 05-05-2016, 02:58 PM
Default Resolution coming....

My Volvo dealership has stepped up and will replace my tailgate at no cost to me. I do not know for sure if this was a local dealer decision or Volvo corporate. Either way, I feel relieved. When its all over with, I'll have been without the car for 5 weeks. But I will get a loaner now as soon as one becomes available.

Thank you for posting your experience. I did send a link to this thread to my Service advisor and Salesman at the dealership indicating I wasn't the only person to experience this problem. It may have helped my case.

Regards,
JS in Falls Church

Old 05-05-2016, 10:33 PM

I am happy to hear that !
I am sure Volvo as a company live up to their name, it might just be something not happening yet as much for them to recall the cars and fix and or might not have enough information sharing to realize that this IS an issue that they need to address without any wrong doing on the customers' side.

Information sharing has never been easier nor more useful as our days.
You got only what you deserved, trust me ! when we invest in quality cars, we expect quality service too and we should get it !

Best of luck ...