General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Does VIDA update do all updates or just one

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does VIDA update do all updates or just one

I was just wondering about updates using the VIDA system. When we had a new key made we had to have an update done so that it would recognize the key. Also a few years ago after a dash fix we had to have the car hooked up to VIDA.

The question is when you get hooked up to VIDA for 30 minutes do all updates get applied? Such as any transmission updates -- would an update be applied.

Or must you pay the $125 dealer fee for each and every available update?

Old 09-30-2016, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

It depends what you are doing.

The Service 2.0 software (which is free with a scheduled maintenance) update can contain updates for multiple modules. It usually does not update everything though.

I don't know what update you needed, but it sounds like it was a specific module. Those usually only update that module and maybe the CEM.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:02 AM

The reason I ask is because I would like to know if the trans is up to date with any VIDA updates for it.

Plus you once gave me this protocol to check for stored codes" Read button and then hit the rear fog light button twice while holding Read to cycle through the modules on the text display to see if there are codes. "

I can remember a few that read

CEM DTC set
DDM DTC set
CCM DTC set
PDM DTC set

So I have had this car hooked up two different times to VIDA and didn't have codes cleared. Plus I may or may not be due a trans update.

Originally Posted by ES6T
It depends what you are doing.

The Service 2.0 software (which is free with a scheduled maintenance) update can contain updates for multiple modules. It usually does not update everything though.

I don't know what update you needed, but it sounds like it was a specific module. Those usually only update that module and maybe the CEM.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

What's the VIN? I can see what software updates are available.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:53 PM

Thanks

YV1RH58D322187126

What's the VIN? I can see what software updates are available.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

The following upgrades are available:

CCM
CEM
DDM
DIM
ECM
ETM
PDM
REM
TCM

The free Service 2.0 upgrade would upgrade all but the DDM and PDM, which are likely unimportant.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:09 PM

Thanks but just to be clear ---

1. When you say free service 2.0 upgrade do you mean that there is no charge to the customer or nominal charge.
  2. DDM and PDM would have a charge but they are probably not important.
I guess there is no way for me to know if the upgrade has ever been completed.

Or did you punch in my VIN and you can see that it was never completed.

The following upgrades are available:

CCM
CEM
DDM
DIM
ECM
ETM
PDM
REM
TCM

The free Service 2.0 upgrade would upgrade all but the DDM and PDM, which are likely unimportant.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

The Service 2.0 upgrade is done for no charge when the car is in for factory scheduled maintenance. So you would have to buy a service from the dealer. Some might do it for free otherwise but they are under no obligation to do so. I know if my service writer wrote up a car for just the service 2.0 update, I would tell him we can't do it. If the customer wants to pay for it, that's different. You might try calling to see if they will do so if you pay. It would be one hour labor but the software price is only a penny. Compare that to the TCM update alone which is about $40. I have had customers who are just in for an oil change but they wind up buying a good amount of needed repairs so I update the software.

Those are the modules that have updates available for your specific car.

Last edited by ES6T; 10-01-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:15 AM

Thanks

Ok now I understand.

If I can get all those updated for an hour or so of labor --- that's ok with me. I'd be especially interested in the TCM update.

The Service 2.0 upgrade is done for no charge when the car is in for factory scheduled maintenance. So you would have to buy a service from the dealer. Some might do it for free otherwise but they are under no obligation to do so. I know if my service writer wrote up a car for just the service 2.0 update, I would tell him we can't do it. If the customer wants to pay for it, that's different. You might try calling to see if they will do so if you pay. It would be one hour labor but the software price is only a penny. Compare that to the TCM update alone which is about $40. I have had customers who are just in for an oil change but they wind up buying a good amount of needed repairs so I update the software.

Those are the modules that have updates available for your specific car.