General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

E85 Conversion kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E85 Conversion kit

Has anybody ever bought one for a Volvo? I was very close to buying one for my H3 before I started digging around and finding out that E85 can cause certain problems with accelerated degredation of fuel lines and so forth.

I'm just wondering if the stock fuel system on the 2.4L I5 can handle E85? They sell the kit for Volvo.

E85 is widely available where I live and since gas prices are predicted to skyrocket again this summer, I might do it.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Before you do so, you ought to check the web for information (from the EPA, for one) about mileage of E85 versus gasoline. Ethanol has less energy per gallon than gasoline, so fuel mileage slips something like 25%. As long as your E85 price is 25% cheaper per gallon or more, you come out ahead if you don't factor in the price of any conversion kit. To start, look at the window stickers on a GM truck or something like that which is flex fuel from the factory -- there's a sticker telling you expect your fuel mileage to drop significantly.

Ethanol also is much higher octane, so trucks & cars that run on it from the factory ("flex fuel vehicles") can have much advanced timing w/o engine knock. Its like 105 octane, or something like that. Ethanol has cold starting issues, thus the need for 15% gasoline in the mix.

To really use E85, the benefit would be in higher compression, but no Volvo I know of has variable compression (except those with bad rings, valve seats, etc. which isn't the way to go!).

Old 05-14-2009, 04:58 PM

www,fueleconomy.gov. It lists what various new trucks (mostly) and cars get with each type of fuel and EPA estimates of fuel costs for 15K driving. Take a look and decide if its worth it. Most cost more with E85 over a course of 15K driving.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the info. I know American cars better then European so that's why I'm trying to get some info. I know how sensitive Volvo's are to pretty much anything and everything. I'm just not sure yet. I know they get worse mileage and so forth. I'll check out the sites.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One dude on here bought the kit....but now he just mixes Ethanol and 91octane.....or something like that.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/2004-s60r-e85-26478/

Last edited by TIPSP; 05-14-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Got Boost?
Old 05-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I would also check around your area for stations that sell it. There are NONE where I live, yet they sell the vehicles here. So are people suppose to fill up if it isn't sold. Like wise if you got a conversion kit.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Unhappy E-85 and the Federal Law

I don't know whether you guys know it or not..but Federal Law prohibits using E-85 in any vehicle that wasn't made for it.

Gas stations that sell it know of it too..and they could lose their license to sell gas if they are caught doing it.

Just a thought...Good Luck

Old 05-15-2009, 01:20 PM

This is a little off topic, but it may explain a major reason many of the pick up trucks are rated to run on E85. Fuel economy rules for fleet average let the car makers pretend that 50% of the fuel used by a dual fuel vehicle is E85. Sure the gas mileage is lousy, but remember only 15% of that 1/2 (presumed) fuel used is oil; and that's what counts in CAFE standards. So makers skirting CAFE rules (which, btw are still measured under the "old" window sticker method) adapt their guzzlers to E85 and magically, they're getting 24 mpg in governmentworld. I don't think Volvo is close enough to worry, but I'd not be surprised to see the SUV's become dual fuel certified for this reason.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:38 PM

I've never heard of a law that prohibits you from using whatever type of fuel you want in your own vehicle. That's a rediculous law IMO. How could a company legally sell a conversion kit then if it's illegal?

Why would they make such a law, especially when it would be near impossible to regulate without people examining your car at the pump? Sounds like a patch to deter people from buying E85 because it's cheaper, therefore less tax dollars coming from it. E85 is offered at almost every station in my area, mainly because it's a very populated booming suburb of Chicago. It's just 50 miles outside of the city and since most of the demographic of my area are native Chicago residents (myself included) they probably make a decent amount of money with people like me who drive there every day.

Do you have any other information about the law? I'm going to see if I can dig up anything. I believe you, but I'd like to know the reasoning behind it, or excuse if you want to call it that The only possibility that comes to mind are the legal problems it would cause, such as vehicle warranty lawsuits and so forth.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Got Boost?

Well...At least your not in Cali....

They are trying to ban dark hued color cars????? they say they use more power to keep cool????

It's a Conspiracy man!!!!

Old 05-15-2009, 03:42 PM

Are you freakin kidding me? Talk about going overboard.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Got Boost?

No I believe this is for real???? http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/25/c...ng-black-cars/

Cali is really starting to pissmeoff! I am going to repaint all my cars black now. Even the black BMW will be ten time more black!

Take that you people! LOL....

Plus...our SMOG rules just got even worse....my dads 79 trans Am would have been smog ex...but they change that in JAn....so It is not F******K

Who ever said CAli is the greatest state....certianly doesn't live there.....I am moving back to chicago once I get enough money to move out of my parents place.....then off to the EU....

Last edited by TIPSP; 05-15-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:49 PM

Yeah, I'll be lining up to buy a "Mud Puddle Brown" car lol

Old 05-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Unhappy

A lot of aftermarket stuff in this country is unlawfull..depending on the state laws and fed laws..such as taillights, headlights..etc..if they want to enforce it..if your headlights or taillights do not have DOT printed on them..they are NOT legal.

Also Racing Slick Tires are not legal on the street..but I see some running them sometimes, but if a cop sees them and knows what they are you can be ticketed...just like those BIG Air Intakes on the top of hoods on some cars..they are illegal too, if they block the view of the driver in any way.

Theres a lot of things sold in this country that is Illegal, believe it or not.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:57 PM

One more thing..why do you see ad's for car parts such as aftermarket headlights that say in their AD "For Show ONLY, not for street use"..?

That's to CTA in case you try to tell a cop that stops you with them on your car, "Oh, I bought them from (whereever or whomever), ".

Also, so, you can't come back on them..trying to get your money back because you found out after the fact, that they are Illegal for street use.

As they say..Ignorance of the Law is NO excuse..thats what any court or Law Enforcement agency will tell you..State or Federal.

Good Luck

Old 06-09-2009, 04:22 PM

You're right. I suppose I didn't think about it that way. I guess I'm just so used to seeing all of the marketing material the common sense side of it didn't come out when saying that.