General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Fog Lamp Switch - Share your opinion please

Old 03-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Lamp Switch - Share your opinion please

After owning the R for almost a year, I have grown more and more annoyed by the fog lamp switch that I have to switch on each time after I start the car. The many Japanese cars I had before all had "sticky" fog lamp switches where you can set it and forget it.
What do you guys think of this feature? Do you like the current switch function? or do you wish fog lamps would stay on once you set it each time headlights are turned on?

edit: I really wanted to make this into a poll, but doesn't look like there's a way to post a one.

Also, should the rear fog light be controlled by the same switch as the front instead of separate one?

Clarification:

First of all, we are taking about OEM (non-aftermarket) US specification front fog lights (not the rear) which are non-functional for fog due to the low wattage bulbs used (per US regulations; higher wattage used in Europe). On Volvo's, like most other cars sold on the US, the front fog lamps are an aesthetic accessory much like paint color, spoilers, etc. If they were truly for fog and safety, then it would be standard on every Volvo, which we know is not the case. To prove the point of front fog lights being aesthetic "jewelry", ALL manufacturers put fog lights on their higher-end models, or GT/sport versions because it adds a visual presence to the front of the car, and not because these cars will experience more fog than others! In other words, these low level lights give the car a more aggressive, lower to the ground look as the vehicle approaches giving it more visual appeal. Some may argue that they are blinding and distracting, which can be true for some aftermarket fog lights or tall vehicles like pick-up trucks and SUV's with aftermarket, retina burning high-wattage bulbs. But for OEM fog lights, this is not the case at all and most people who complains is actually casting a broader net on the subject due to their frustration of a few offenders. Others say that fog light usage is by owners who want to look "cool". Well, the same could be said about choosing certain paint colors, window tinting, even washing your car! the truth of the matter is that all of these things are actually pride of ownership and wanting your car to look its best. If that is wanting to look "cool", then so be it. Finally, many manufacturer's allow the front fog light switch to remain enabled whenever the headlights are turned on, except for Volvo of course.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:43 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fog Lamp Switch

The rear lamp's purpose is for alerting overtaking vehicles of your presence. It can be used in a rain storm, fog, snow, and etc.. There are many occasions when it is not necessary to have on. The front "fog" lamps as you state are not "fog" lamps by any stretch of the imagination. They are "driving" lamps. Fog lamps generally have a yellow lens so as not to reflect on fog, rain, or snow. The driving lamp illuminates the road more closely in front of you rather than further down the road. That operation is left for your low/high beams.

r.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:56 PM

points well taken. So I guess you prefer to keep the switch functions as they are?

Old 03-28-2007, 11:14 PM
reg

well, I understand your dilemma. I have an older c70 (2002) and it has separate switches for the fronts and the rear. Once you turn the lamps on, they stay on............and apparently that is not the case with your model and I can sense your frustration. I would think that you could retrofit a simple on/off switch.

r.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Default RE: Fog Lamp Switch - Share your opinion please

I was going to mind my own business, but decided to comment since this is an issue that often makes me nuts. Am I the only one who finds the proliferation of just this habit at least annoying and at times dangerous? With the tremendousincrease in large vehiclessuch as pickup trucks, SUV's (an oxymoron if there ever was one)(and yes, including that big thing that Volvo sells here in the US), etc.,it seems that there's enough light pollution on the roadalready. Do we really need to compound it with having these so-called driving or fog lights illuminated all the time (and let's face it, they're of limited value under the best of circumstances and good for nothing other than annoying oncoming drivers in traffic). I see too many driverswith these things on (and during the day too)regardless of the circumstances. Some of these lights are less offensive than others (my 05 WRX not so much; the new Dodge pickups for instance down right blinding)but they all add to a mix that can make driving in any kind of traffic at night more stressful than it needs to be. Research has shown that night vision in men, like sexual prowess, is in a gradual downward spiralpastthe age of 18. I assume that's part of the reason why it bugs me (I'm 52)(also why I assume I can't be alone in my thinking here), but there's more to it. Why do you think the European manufacturers make it less easy for us to use these lights? Could it be that they know of the potential for abuse here? Until recently I drove Audi's and they included acouple of changes for this market. They gave us one rear fog light illuminated instead of the two available. You can't use the front auxiliary lights without having the low beam headlights on.And you can't use the rear fog without having the front ones on. I know some of this is mandated by the Feds, and thank goodness for it, but not all of it is.Have you ever been stuck behind some yahoo with the rear fog on while driving a 2 lane on nice clear night? Not so pretty (and imagine two lights staring at you instead of one). I'm rambling here, but I guess my point is that I for one am glad that using these things is not easy as it could be.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:18 AM
reg

I first drove an Audi (5000) in 1984 and had several since then. They all had but one rear fog lamp and it was always on the left side of the auto. The reason they did not use two was that it sent a signal that perhaps your brake lamps were on. But............you are right about the 'correctness' of you must have your low beams on in order to use the driving lamps. And I agree with that and with the fact that they (driving lamps) turn off when the high beams are lit. I too agree that too many 'kids' aim up a set of driving lamps with 100 watt bulbs just to .............I suppose............look cool. They are a nuisance but are useful on many occasions. Good job of getting your point across!

r.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Nohelmet, can you tell us how you really feel? I'm older than you by about seven years and the comment about sexual is bothering me more than the fog lights issue.

I have a solution for the bright lights coming at you and blinding you on a two lane road. First I flash my high beams at them. If they don't dim their lights I just start creeping to my left and actually cross into their lane. I've yet to actually run somebody off the road, but I'm not saying it will never happen.

I hate the real bright headlightswith the blueish color more than anything. I'm with you on wondering why people think they have to have the road so bright in front of them when it's blinding the traffic coming towards them? It actually bothered me more when my eyesight was changing in my 40's and early 50's than it does now. So maybe this will get better for you as you approach 60.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:24 PM

Sorry to disappoint but at 68 my eyes are not getting better and those blue HID and driving lites make me nuts.I do live in a fog prone area and the rear fogs do help some in seeing what is behind u when backing but doubt they help the driver behind you.BJ

Old 03-30-2007, 01:43 PM

Hey thanks to everyone who has replied here. I added a clarification to the original post. Basically I was only referring to our OEM fog/driving lights and not any obnoxious aftermarket ones or the ones mounted on SUV's, so blinding really shouldn't be an issue. I mean seriously, the fogs on my S60R are so tiny that you can barely see them anyway.

Please continue to share your thoughts. Thanks!

Old 03-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

I was not implying that you were. I was more or less just commenting on what nohelmet said. I am buying fog lights for both my R's since each has one out right now. OEM stuff is fine. I do get ticked though that people who are looking like they trying to blind oncoming traffic.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:50 PM

Hey Jim
No worried. I know you weren't implying myself. I added the clarification just to limit this opinion poll on the switch functions on our OEM fogs.

BTW, I had read a while a go that fog lights do work even though not all of them are yellow. While yellow light is thebest at penatrating fog, white ones work just fine, and blue lgiht is actually the worst. The reason they work is there is a layer right above the ground where fog actually disappears due to temperature difference, so the idea of low mount fog lights are to illuminate the road using that clear layer. Of course the effective range is very limited when lights are mounted so low, therefore, it is never recommendaed to drive with fog lights alone.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

I think the front fog lights on our cars are just for looks. I just can't stand the fact that one is missing on each of my two R's. If they are supposed to be there they should be there and they should work. That's why I just bought two of them off the internet for $105.00 from a junkyard. Just bought them about five minutes ago. One for each side.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:06 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Dear All,

The books I read state that yellow lights don't penetrate fog/snow better, they're yellow so as to make it easier for the oncoming cars to see you better. But I've never had yellow lights so I couldn't tell. Does anyone think yellow penetrates fog/snow better?

Jim, I agree that it does look odd just to have one fog light, and many cars are missing one stop (brake) light anyway (burned out) so it doesn't make much difference. I assume the traffic regulations in Europe are more stringent so that people have both stop (brake) lights working most of the time. Or,Volvo could've used yellow for the rear fog lights, unless prohibited by law.

I never thought that a topic on fog lights would've attracted so much attention.

JPN