General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Help installing charcoal/vapor canister.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help installing charcoal/vapor canister.

The canister fell off my 850 while driving a week or so ago. My understanding is I can drive without the canister installed properly but that seems sketchy and having the lines/hoses that were attached to it just hanging there not attached to anything seems like an issue waiting to happen. It looks like there are (4) separate lines/hoses that connect to the canister. (1) on the bottom and (3) on the top. I need help determining which one is which and also one of the lines got ripped off completely. So I not only need to know where to attach that one to the canister but where the other end of the line attaches to on the car. One line will be from fuel tank, one from Vac, one from PCV, and i'm not sure what the other one is. I have a photo of three of the lines that are hanging from under carriage. I assume the big one in my palm is from the fuel tank? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Edit: In the final photo, is the cylinder type thing attached to the canister the shut off valve? If not, what is it? Does something need to go into this part?

Attached Thumbnails Help installing charcoal/vapor canister.-photo-1-4-.jpg   Help installing charcoal/vapor canister.-photo-3-3-.jpg   Help installing charcoal/vapor canister.-photo-2-3-.jpg   Help installing charcoal/vapor canister.-photo-1-5-.jpg  
Old 07-28-2016, 12:32 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RiverWalker83
The canister fell off my 850 while driving a week or so ago. My understanding is I can drive without the canister installed properly but that seems sketchy and having the lines/hoses that were attached to it just hanging there not attached to anything seems like an issue waiting to happen. It looks like there are (4) separate lines/hoses that connect to the canister. (1) on the bottom and (3) on the top. I need help determining which one is which and also one of the lines got ripped off completely. So I not only need to know where to attach that one to the canister but where the other end of the line attaches to on the car. One line will be from fuel tank, one from Vac, one from PCV, and i'm not sure what the other one is. I have a photo of three of the lines that are hanging from under carriage. I assume the big one in my palm is from the fuel tank? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Edit: In the final photo, is the cylinder type thing attached to the canister the shut off valve? If not, what is it? Does something need to go into this part?
what is your VIN and I'll shoot over an exploded view

Old 07-28-2016, 02:03 PM

Hi Smith, my vin # is YV1LS5522R2168152

Old 07-28-2016, 02:09 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a lot there - but here you go

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VIDA Print-1.pdf (137.5 KB, 658 views)
Old 07-28-2016, 04:13 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Wow. That's a GM part pictured, and an old design. They started looking like that, I think, in 1978. Which explains why one outlet is marked "carb bowl" (which is the one you want closed off).

On the old 1978 GM cars, that extra "thing" on top of the canister allowed you to connect uncontrolled manifold vacuum directly to the canister. The purge line would have been controlled vacuum. I hope that helps. I am driving a car just like yours, so I will clarify later.

Last edited by firebirdparts; 07-28-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by firebirdparts
Wow. That's a GM part pictured, and an old design. They started looking like that, I think, in 1978. Which explains why one outlet is marked "carb bowl" (which is the one you want closed off).

On the old 1978 GM cars, that extra "thing" on top of the canister allowed you to connect uncontrolled manifold vacuum directly to the canister. The purge line would have been controlled vacuum. I hope that helps. I am driving a car just like yours, so I will clarify later.

Hey Firebirdparts, are you saying mine is a GM part or the one SmithVolvo posted a diagram of? My canister in made in the U.S. which I thought was a little odd. The carb bowl "outlet" is already capped off on mine.

When you say the extra "thing" on top of the canister do you mean the separate black piece that is kind of shaped like a spotlight? I can tell that the "outlet" on that did have one of my lines/hoses connected to it (you can see the tip is clean, meaning something recently slipped off of it, the rest is dirty from being exposed forever). I just cannot figure out which one went to it.

I am hoping that someone can tell by looking at my photo which line/hose goes where. One is clearly largest and I assume that one is the fuel vapor vent. One with the black rubber elbow is a white line/hose which I hope will help identify it! The last is the skinny black line which I assume goes into the rubber elbow that is still attached to the canister in the photo. Can anyone confirm this? Lastly I would have to figure out where the line/hose that is not attached on either end goes to.

Thanks guys!

Old 07-29-2016, 11:59 AM

Yes and Yes; That's a firebird part. The "thing" on top obviously serves some function, so that it will matter what connects to the top of it and what connects to the bottom.

I will look at my car this afternoon and get back to you. Mine is a 94 so I hope it's the same.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:30 PM

I mis-remembered. My car is a 95. I have posted in your other thread.