General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

If you don't know, don't answer.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you don't know, don't answer.

There are far too many replies to technical questions lately, where the response is totally incorrect and lacks even the most basic understanding and analysis to the symptoms posted.
Just because someone somewhere said something vaguely related to the topic once fixed something similar, doesn't mean regurgitating that information as a solution will help.
SO, if you don't know from personal experience, don't answer.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get up on the wrong side of bed did we?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sad it's need to be said, but yes, in many cases i agree w/Andrew.

Seems like this site needs a sticky thread about the "art of automotive diagnosis". If i ever get way too much free time maybe I'll take a stab at writing it.

Way too many folks come here w/o a clue and want someone to tell them "just replace part X and that'll fix it..." I really hate when people diagnose a problem by throwing parts at it; aka shotgun method. Unfortunately it's way too common, even within the auto repair industry.

Sigh; OK, vent off...

Old 07-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sometimes, however, close is helpful. I needed to reset "Service Engine Soon" message light on '06 V70. No thread exactly matched. But I read for other years and for S60's (which had slight variations) and tried them until one worked. So other than ruining my obsessive-compulsive gas mileage computation via trip odo, nothing was damaged, and I saved a trip to my friendly, local dealer who had forgotten to reset it several hundred miles earlier.

Sometimes, a little general mechanical knowledge needs to be imparted, too. A rattling exhaust is a rattling exhaust, for example. Unless you've been under a car, you might not know about exhaust hangers. That symptom, and cure, are common across most car lines (427 Ford Cobra and late 60's side pipe Corvettes excepted, for example) and provide a relatively easy diagnosis for even the novice.

On the other hand, I agree that Volvo-specific electrothingamajigs aren't for the novice or amateur to diagnose and replace. Close isn't good enough there.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Banned

Very few on this site are actaully certified Volvo technicians...if you were you wouldn't need advice/help...folks on this site are just trying to lend a hand...if some of the inforamtion incorrect? Most definately, but some should be LISTENED to...some of us who might have better things to do actaully take the time to help out Volvo enthusiasts that may not have the know how or the $$ to fix their car...I believe each individual is smart enough to take some information and to leave some...if their are doubts go pay a Volvo mechanic(like myself) $120 hr to diagnose your problem...if not just chill the F out and have fun and help some folks...this is not YOUR forum TYPHOON it's an OPEN forum for Volvo lovers and enthusiasts...if you are DA MAN...then help these folks out but don't hate brother....some of us just believe in different methods...some of us are testers...some of us don't have $$ to do guess work, some of us are pull, pray, replacers...and some of us are newbies just learning....we"ll all find our way sooner or later PEACE

Old 07-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gdog
Sad it's need to be said, but yes, in many cases i agree w/Andrew.

Seems like this site needs a sticky thread about the "art of automotive diagnosis". If i ever get way too much free time maybe I'll take a stab at writing it.

Way too many folks come here w/o a clue and want someone to tell them "just replace part X and that'll fix it..." I really hate when people diagnose a problem by throwing parts at it; aka shotgun method. Unfortunately it's way too common, even within the auto repair industry.

Sigh; OK, vent off...

I am sorry gdog but it would be IMPOSSIBLE to write a thread on diagnosing....each problem has it's own set of tests etc...these folks are NOT mechanics they are enthusiasts...most mechanics are not even good diagnosticians...90% of mechanics pull and replace very few have the education to actually think and run numerous tests before replacing a part. I never just pull and replace I always test first then proceed but I have years and years of experienec, training, etc..and still I miss things sometimes...not very often but it happens...I was trained by the "old school" way of automechanics...TEST..TEST...TEST...today most shops pay some guy $10-$15hr to turn wrenches they cannot afford to pay a good diagnostician...so most good diagnosticians are usually the owner of the shop. This is an OPEN forum, good for meeting folks, sharing experiences and having fun...this is not automotive training school...most the people would have no idea how to diagnose a bad MAF sensor or a bad O2 sensor or let alone check for spark etc...do you know the procedure for testing a O2 sensor or a MAF sensor? If so, you think you could put that into a step by step thread? I do and I would not like to write a thread about it...too entailed. It would take you quite some time and then to put it into terms that folks could actually understand...that is why you pay a mechanic $120HR or you get some feedback from folks on this site for free....most of the people on here don't even own or heard of a Fluke 88,an IR laser temp gun, a fuel pressure gauge, a timing light, a test light, a pressure tester, etc. etc. I have over $50,000 in tools but this is how I earn my living...the majority of folks probably have a socket set and some wrenches...this id a free OPEN forum a not a closed pay for each question answered forum mechanics advise forum...treat it as such and be kind to others...and give them some good advise like go purchase a Bentley manual a cheap IR laser temp gun, a cheap multimeter and a test light to start...

Last edited by volvoguy2323; 07-08-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, I think I hear and understand both sides. I'm probably the guilty one that tells people how to fix things wrong but if I do and it doesn't work, they will learn not to listen to me. LOL

The thing that gets me is the people that ask a question and you never hear from them again. And the thread is left hanging with no solution. Drives me nuts.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, that happens a lot, never return...

Old 07-10-2010, 12:19 AM

Wow!! Looks like i hit a nerve; cool! Mostly agree w/you but some comments below...

Originally Posted by volvoguy2323
I am sorry gdog but it would be IMPOSSIBLE to write a thread on diagnosing....each problem has it's own set of tests etc...
Sorry, disagree strongly here. There are tons of books on the subject. A car is made up of various systems; ignition, fuel injection, engine mechanical, trans mechanical, cooliing system, AC, electronic trans control, etc. Understanding how each of these systems works is the key to understanding how to diagnose it when it's not. I worked at GM/EDS for brief time writing service manuals; they always wanted me to put in those horrible diag trouble trees; you know the ones, where you always replace the ECM as the last step (because what else could it be!! ).

But when I was tech trying to figure out why something wasn't working properly (i.e. diagnosing..), those trouble trees just wasted my time, because the particular issue i was seeing was not covered in there! Here, i agree w/you; you cannot have a diag (trouble tree) for every problem; way too many "what-if" scenarios. What i always wanted in a manual was a detailed description of how the sub-system worked! Then I could figure out what part of the sub-system wasn't working correctly.

...these folks are NOT mechanics they are enthusiasts...most mechanics are not even good diagnosticians...90% of mechanics pull and replace very few have the education to actually think and run numerous tests before replacing a part. I never just pull and replace I always test first then proceed but I have years and years of experienec, training, etc..and still I miss things sometimes...not very often but it happens...I was trained by the "old school" way of automechanics...TEST..TEST...TEST...
Sounds like you're a good tech; hat's off to you!! That's not old or new school; just good!!

...today most shops pay some guy $10-$15hr to turn wrenches they cannot afford to pay a good diagnostician...so most good diagnosticians are usually the owner of the shop. This is an OPEN forum, good for meeting folks, sharing experiences and having fun...this is not automotive training school...most the people would have no idea how to diagnose a bad MAF sensor or a bad O2 sensor or let alone check for spark etc...do you know the procedure for testing a O2 sensor or a MAF sensor? If so, you think you could put that into a step by step thread? I do and I would not like to write a thread about it...too entailed. It would take you quite some time and then to put it into terms that folks could actually understand...that is why you pay a mechanic $120HR or you get some feedback from folks on this site for free....most of the people on here don't even own or heard of a Fluke 88,an IR laser temp gun, a fuel pressure gauge, a timing light, a test light, a pressure tester, etc. etc. I have over $50,000 in tools but this is how I earn my living...the majority of folks probably have a socket set and some wrenches...this id a free OPEN forum a not a closed pay for each question answered forum mechanics advise forum...treat it as such and be kind to others...and give them some good advise like go purchase a Bentley manual a cheap IR laser temp gun, a cheap multimeter and a test light to start...
Mostly agree here.. Yes i understand most folks here are enthusiasts; it appears a good percentage of these are DIYers, or at least want to be. Those are the folks i want to help, if i can, because that's who i am too.

Maybe we have gotten off topic here a bit, but my rant was primarily about people who come here for a quick fix; you know what i mean, e.g.: first post, there's coolant under my car. Do i need a radiator? And that's the last we hear from them. It's funny because if you visit other volvo forums you often see the same exact post from same username! They're shotgunning it! They're looking for a quick fix, wasting many people's time in the process and (this is my gripe) not willing or wanting to spend any of their time learning/understanding what's going on with their vehicle.

I don't know, call me crazy, but I would rather teach a man to fish rather than just give him a fish. That's my goal here. It just seems like a longer term solution...

Oh and as far as being kind to others; of course; assume that goes w/o saying!! If i haven't been so, i do apologize...

rock on...

Old 07-10-2010, 01:13 AM
Banned

WOW!! Right on Gdog...if you want to write up a step by step manual on dianosing each and every scenario then by all means my man go to it! Just saying most people still won't read it and they will still ask(for the fish) the same ?'s over and over again...you know that.... The few that do want(a pole) to crack open a Bentley or any good manual and spend a few hours understanding fuel injection systems etc...I am sure WILL appreciate your efforts and time spent so I say go ahead...do it. Furthermore, my bone wasn't with you it was with the poster...TYPHOON- the guy who thinks his sh-t don't stink.

Last edited by volvoguy2323; 07-10-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Typhoon
There are far too many replies to technical questions lately, where the response is totally incorrect and lacks even the most basic understanding and analysis to the symptoms posted.
Just because someone somewhere said something vaguely related to the topic once fixed something similar, doesn't mean regurgitating that information as a solution will help.
SO, if you don't know from personal experience, don't answer.

Regards, Andrew.
Andrew,

You don't like it here go somewhere else or start your own forum. I just joined this forum a couple weeks ago and I have met A LOT of good people here. You want to know what's so great about it? It's an OPEN FORUM bro!! If they want to try and answer the question...LET THEM!! If you disagree then disagree but don't put folks down or think you're above...They are(WE ARE) just trying to help...nobody's perfect. We are all here cause we love Volvo's and working on our cars not because we want to be judged on our input...

Old 07-11-2010, 12:12 AM

Furthermore, my bone wasn't with you it was with the poster...TYPHOON- the guy who thinks his sh-t don't stink.
So you're telling us to be kind to all on this forum, but if you don't agree with something someone posts, and then it's OK to flame on?? Whose sh*t doesn't stink??

I don't usually hang out in the 240 area of this forum but from what i've seen of Typhoon's posts, his advice is typically spot on and respectful. Also, he's been here for over 2.5 yrs; i've been here for 2 yrs, and you've been here for less than a month. And you want to tell everyone how it should be here??

My $.02 (not that you're asking..); maybe you're the one being adversarial here.. and could take it down a notch or two...

Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gdog
So you're telling us to be kind to all on this forum, but if you don't agree with something someone posts, and then it's OK to flame on?? Whose sh*t doesn't stink??

I don't usually hang out in the 240 area of this forum but from what i've seen of Typhoon's posts, his advice is typically spot on and respectful. Also, he's been here for over 2.5 yrs; i've been here for 2 yrs, and you've been here for less than a month. And you want to tell everyone how it should be here??

My $.02 (not that you're asking..); maybe you're the one being adversarial here.. and could take it down a notch or two...
I am not the one who posted a thread telling people not to answer...sure go ahead and join the bandwagon this is how wars typically start..you get a psycho to say these people are bad and this is why and then the weak start to join...go ahead and get your torch lit..I'm merely protecting a democracy and an open forum...I don't care how long someone has been here(Hitler was in Germany for years and many people thought his advice was spot on too....didnlt work out so well did it?) if they are not kind no matter how good their advice is this thread was NOT good advice and someone needed to stand up and protect this forum too bad it had to be someone who's only been here 2 weeks...