General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Importing older volvos from Sweden

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing older volvos from Sweden

Hi All!

I'm planning to move back to USA from Volvo's Homeland (Sweden, not China!) next month, and want to bring my cars with me (see signature). Since they are both 25 years old, it should be simple.

Has anyone done anything similar?

Any recommendations for a transport company? I'm having not much luck getting quotes.

I will document here the whole process.

What I've learned so far:

Types of shipping
  • RORO (Roll-on, roll-off) is basically a floating car carrier. Car must be drivable. Only departure point in Sweden is Gothenberg.
  • Container shipping: car needs to be secured in a container. Two Volvos will fit inside a 40' container. This is more expensive but goes to more destinations.
Before Starting
  1. If going RORO, make sure car is clean on the inside, and doesn't have ANYTHING extra - just the car, spare tyre, jack, etc. Anything extra WILL BE STOLEN (or so the transporters say).
  2. If shipping via container, make sure car is empty; anything inside the car will be tossed around and will either get broken or break something; they are not careful with containers.
  3. Wash the underside of the car VERY CAREFULLY to get rid of all soil and dirt. US customs do not accept dirty cars as they do not want to bring any foreign soil into the USA.
  4. Email Volvo to ask them for the manufacturing date of the car. They will need either the serial number or the Swedish Plate Number.
  5. Get an extra copy of the title documents from Transportstyrelsen.
At the Dock / Container Loading Point
  1. Make a detailed list of whatever is going in the container. Take pictures of the car just before entering the container, and after securing in the container.
  2. Fill out the Swedish title change documents for export. Send that and the Swedish plates (both front and back) to Transportstyrelsen. (Note: they will not fully de-register the car until they get a confirmation of re-registration in the USA; till then you will owe road tax for the car in Sweden. If you are not going to re-register, then they require a letter stating that it is a showpiece, or museum exhibit, or some such.
  3. Get the Bill of Lading / WayBill from the shipper. You need the waybill to collect the car on the other side of the sea.
  4. Be sure to put your name in exactly the same way as both Consignor and Consignee.
  5. Maybe more, I haven't gotten to this stage yet.
At US Customs
  1. You AND your shipper need to jointly fill out a DoT form and an EPA form, and have the old Swedish titles on hand. Take a copy of everything you submit to them.
  2. You will get an Entry Summary Form 7501 from Customs. You will need DOT and EPA letters of approval for the DMV.
  3. You will need to flatbed the vehicle (no wheel should touch the ground) to your DMV, and wherever else it needs to go on the way (home).
At the DMV
  1. You have to provide the Entry Summary Form, the letters of approval, the old titles, AND an insurance card valid in CT (so buy insurance first!) to get an appointment for the safety inspection and VIN verification.
Please note that you have to pay at each step of the way!
  1. Buy the car in Sweden
  2. Buy insurance for the car in Sweden
  3. Road tax on the car in Sweden
  4. Repairs for the car in Sweden
  5. Postage for the titles and the plates to Transportstyrelsen
  6. Shipping fees
  7. Shipping Insurance
  8. Customs Brokerage fees in USA
  9. Import Tax on the value of the car in USA
  10. Transport to your home in USA
  11. Insurance in the USA
  12. Registration fees to your DMV