General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Need advice on whether or not to buy this Volvo

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 03:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on whether or not to buy this Volvo

Hello all and welcome to my first post! I am brand new to Volvos but the other day I was looking around and someone had a Volvo for sale. I believe it's a 264 and I know it's a GLE, as for the year, I think that it's somewhere between 1978 and 1982. I haven't gotten to look around it that much yet as I haven't bought it so I haven't found a model year or anything like that. The person that currently owns it said that it has a fuel injected 6 cylinder 2.8 liter engine. I don't currently have pictures, but it has a major dent in both the front and back driver side doors, the owner said that it needs a new fuel pump and it might need new fuel injectors as well. It has been sitting for about 10+ years and will undoubtedly need new tires and a new battery. Other than the things mentioned above the interior has 2 minor tears in the leather and the floors are pretty filthy and will need to be cleaned really well, all of the paint looks brand new except the area that is dented. The engine looks like it's in pretty good condition just by looking at it. The owner is asking $150 for it, but I don't know much about it, I'm mostly concerned about how long it will last and how easy it will be to repair it.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

The Volvo 2xxs have an excellent resale value for cars in good working order and clean bodies - a quick check on some web sites show many listings in the 2000-4000 range... You can check around on Craigslist and car-parts.com for replacement doors and parts cars which you may need. My bet is the car has the K-jet or CIS injection which are mechanical injectors so its pretty rare to need to replace an injector (but you can find a service to clean them or use a jewelry cleaner). Injector seals are a common cause of intake air leaks. If you have the skills and the time, I'd say its a worthy project car. Replacing the pump should be fairly straight forward (not sure what year volvo went to the in the tank pump - My closest experience here was an 84 Audi that had K-jet with easy access to the injectors and an external pump with two clamps to remove. Fixing the seats is aided by the fact you wouldn't have airbags to deal with. In terms of lasting, there are many uber-high mileage red blocks out there - the car will need fixing of stuff but check the 240/940 board and you'll see its quite active. Worst case I see is you give up and part the car out for a profit.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got some pictures of the front and back, anyone who is really good with identifying Volvos I beg for your help!
Name:  ofTBR8M.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  313.4 KB
Name:  sgKliGo.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  682.2 KB