General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

The new V60

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default The new V60

Hello, a new guy here.
I'm currently looking for a car and new v60 is among the top of my list. The other 2 are s60 and the pre-2015 MB C300. Did anybody have a chance to drive the new "wagon" yet?
I found v60 with the new 2-liter engine to be somewhat lighter on its feet than s60 also, the suspension is a little firmer. Otherwise, the sedan and wagon are very close, both are missing telepathic handling of c300 but it's not a huge deal for me.
All in all, looks like v60 has most sense: cargo space, gas mileage etc. My only concern is the first production year of the new engine. Direct injection engines are known (some more than others) for producing carbon deposits on intake valves and there's no official data on how Volvo is doing against others on this problem.
What do you think?

Old 03-25-2014, 08:08 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I've got a 2012 V60 T4 in Australia, it's great that it's finally come to the USA and surrounding countries!

The V60 is great, I've driven a S60 before and I took advantage of the rear window wiper - when it rains, the rear window will accumulate rain on the sedans. We've got different engines here, D3, D5 and T4, T5 and T6. My advice is to get a turbo rather than a diesel. The turbo is more zippy. My car has the Polestar Optimisation, and even without it the T4 engine is very quick.

I don't know about the AWD variant but if you're driving in the snow or something like that then definitely get the AWD version. The V60 is more practical but more expensive, but will probably be the better choice for you. I'm not too sure about the C300 because I've never driven the 2015 model, but although a good car I'd still go with the V60.

I don't know, it's up to you. If you have any more questions about it, don't hesitate to ask me!

Old 03-26-2014, 07:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by v5024
Hi, I've got a 2012 V60 T4 in Australia...
...If you have any more questions about it, don't hesitate to ask me!
Thanks for the reply V5024!
I do have a few questions if you don't mind. There's no T4 engine in the US, so is that a 1.6L turbo? Is it direct or port injection? How many miles (or kms) you drove so far? What is the approximate gas consumption? Did you buy any of the so called "driver aids" such as adaptive cruise control, BLISS, Park Pilot, etc. and do you find them useful? No issues at this point, right?
Thank you!

Old 03-27-2014, 02:41 AM
Banned

Hi Novichek,

It's never a problem for me to help you with your questions!

The T4 is a light pressure turbo, you are absolutely correct - a 1.6L, but doesn't feel like one. According to this website (Web Exclusive Articles : Engine Technology International) the 1.6L engine is direct injection. I got the car with 5600km's, now has 7127km's so that would be approximately 4428 miles. The approximate gas consumption for my car is probably 6.2l/100km but I get around about 8.6l/100km. The car was a demonstrator model therefore it came with other options such as door edge guards (trust me, you will want them - they're thick plastic but save your doors and I already know that from experience over the past two months), BLIS, heated seats (I don't need them because I'm in Australia but feel very nice unlike the Volkswagens), Polestar Optimization (this is NOT the V60 Polestar, it has a Polestar tuned engine, not the suspension, tyres, exhaust etc) and Navigation. In Australia the 2012 V60 came in three different trims, I think Kinetic, Teknik and R-DESIGN. I've got the Teknik which came with the BLIS and Navigation as standard.

My car doesn't have a reversing camera however it has rear parking sensors. I've noticed that compared to the V50 these parking sensors only work in darker areas such as my garage, they don't really work around midday. Park Pilot comes standard on the V40 in Australia, not the V60. I find all my driver aids useful however I wish that I got at LEAST Lane Departure Warning, but since this car was already built, obviously I can't do much about that now...

When you decide on a car don't forget to get Chrome Exhaust Tips. I forgot to get them when I bought the car so next service I'll hopefully get a quote for it. No issues at this point, only that when the car's cold the transmission can rev to 2000rpm then back to 1000, and stutter a bit when pulling out of my driveway (this is only pulling out of my driveway and turning a corner from a standstill). Other than that no issues so far. Definitely get the turbo, whether that'll be a T5 or a T6 in the US, if you plan to drive in snow, get the T6 AWD or ANYTHING with an AWD, I'd imagine it's really fun to drive with the AWD.

Other than that my car's pretty basic, came with the Ice White paint and 18" Ixion Rims, definitely gets a lot of looks... sometimes bad sometimes good. It's REALLY fun to drive and I recommend you try one for yourself. What are you driving now? It's a big difference compared to my 2006 V50 2.4 which I traded in for my V60.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Old 03-27-2014, 02:42 AM

In my opinion,Volvo V60 is great.Safety equipment is complete,such as automatic emergency braking, blind spot detection, adaptive cruise with queuing and air quality control systems and so on.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:55 PM

Just bought a V60 a week ago. Primary objective was the safety features. Overall am happy so far except that I find the lane departure virtually useless. Also find that some of the directions in the owner's manual are either incorrect or missing altogether. Have yet to find instructions for cruise control and the directions for the parking brake are not correct. The Sirius radio directions are totally inadequate. I traded a 2012 Prius V and am amazed by the similarity in dimensions, weight, etc. The Prius had considerably more cargo capacity driven largely by the fact it is about 10" taller. Cargo space is important to us but we're OK with the lesser capability. Of course the Prius got better gas mileage, but I'm very impressed with the fuel consumption of the V60 and after 75K miles in a Prius, the V60 is a rocket ship by comparison. The quality is exceptional and it is a very comfortable riding car. Bottom line ---- no regrets but am surprised Volvo's oversights on the manuals.