General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Overseas Delivery (Costco and via dealer)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overseas Delivery (Costco and via dealer)

Can anyone out there give me an idea of whether or not the Overseas Delivery option on a volvo (in this case a XC 90) is worthwhile (in general) and whether the deal that is currently being offered through Costco is a good one (in particular). With the Costco deal, you get the car for about 7% below MSRP, plus you get round trip airfare to Sweden, a $500 cash card from Costco, a free 3 night trip for 2 to London, and Rome or Paris (airfare from Sweden + 4 star hotel).

Any input on the overseas delivery and/or the Costco program would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Overseas Delivery (Costco and via dealer)

Will it cost you more than the 7% to have the unit shipped to the US? If not and you want to take a nice trip then go for it.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a scam is hidden in there somewhere to me.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

7% below MSRP is probably not really that good of a deal by itself. You should be able to get that relatively easy at a dealer. If a deal sounds too good to be true, it usually is. If I were you I would do more research. See what you could actually buy the car for at the dealer, see how much the trips would cost, look into the hotels etc. etc. I do believe Costco is a good company though, and it might turn out to be one heck of a deal.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:38 PM

Costco is a very good company. Consistenly ranked among the best to work for. The CEO (founder) only makes around 400,000 if I remember right, and rembmer, Costco is a billion dollar corporation.

Does that cover everything including delivery (I didn't see you mention that). Because it's a good deal, if anything for the experience.

I will tell you why I hypothesize they can do this. Buying Swedish cars is extrememly cheap (kind of like how in Germany, Mercedes and BMWs are relatively cheap) so you're paying 7% below there but they're paying much less than that because it is Sweden.

If you want a Swedish car, it'd be pretty cool and a good experience. They are acting as your car broker, something you probably wouldn't be able to do yourself.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:43 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: S70driver

Sounds like a scam is hidden in there somewhere to me.
My instinct tells me the same; commercial enterprises wouldn't do unless they make profit. But then I have no clue about the entire picture so you can ignore this.

BTW, I heard that buying a car in Sweden costs a lot more than many other parts of the world, because in Sweden you pay huge tax on a new car (huge enough to buy another car?) and people keep their cars longer as well. While Sweden is probably one of the best places to live, it also seems a tax hell.

Anyway, I too would do a bit more research just to be safe.

JPN

Old 01-04-2008, 08:48 PM

I have friends that did the overseas delivery on thier 2005 V50 through Volvo's overseas delivery and the standard discount from Volvo OSD was 8%. Volvo flies you to Sweden in a winged 2000 S80 with a slipping tranny, If you make it across the Atlantic they put you up in a hotel for a couple of days and then give you your new Volvo to go pimping around europe for a week or so. You drop it off at a designated port (IIRC) and Volvo flies you back home . In the meantime your new Volvo floats across the Atlantic with a bunch of other Volvos on a tramp steamer and then in a couple of weeks Viola! It shows up at your dealer with two front teeth missing, a social disease and a tattoo.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

! Exactly what social disease?

Old 01-05-2008, 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Rickc10ny

Volvo flies you to Sweden in a winged 2000 S80 with a slipping tranny,
Thats Gold!!!
I laughed so hard a bit of pee came out.

good luck
v70 2.4t

Old 01-29-2010, 02:05 PM

The Volvo Overseas Delivery Program has been around for years. Edmunds.com says that Volvo, Porsche, Mercedes, and BMW all have this program in one form or another but rates the Volvo Overseas Delivery Program as the best.

Basically, you pick out a Volvo here in North America, pick it up in Sweden where Volvo hosts you in a luxury hotel for a couple of nights, limo to the factory where they give you a "royal treatment" tour of the facility, and you pick up your car to tour around Europe for a vacation. Then the car is shipped from an authorized port to your home dealer for you. That's it. No additional costs to the new buyer (unless you consider touring around Europe at your pleasure in your new Volvo).

There is a price discount if you go through this program too. There are more details at www.VolvoOverseasDeliveryProgram.com to check out including testimonials from a couple of people who have done it.