General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

PLEASE HELP! paper towel sucked into my turbo ?***!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy PLEASE HELP! paper towel sucked into my turbo ?***!

I had my intake apart last night on the 98 R doing the TCV and hoses. I completely forgot my plugging the turbo intake tube as I always do with a paper towel, and dammit, decided it was more important to drink that 6th beer rather than remove the towel out before I started. it. The intercooler hose was sucking down hard and it wouldn't rev and I couldn't fig out why and I woke up this morning remembering it, and found (most) of the paper towel lodged down against the turbo blades. MOstly in one piece and only a little bit has been chopped up into... somewhere...???

1. Can I start the car with the turbo air intake and the pipe over the engine coming out of the turbo removed, to blow the bits of towel out?

2. I know it will start, but have I damaged my engine to the point of a turbo rebuild or complete teardown? Where did these shreds of high quality white paper towel go? Should I drain the oil I just changed right before doing this and use some kind of detergent to break down what small amount of paper got into the engine?

3. Did I ruin my car???
4.. Any suggestions would be a great help before I start it this morning and possibly ruin my beloved R.

I'd rather not pull the turbo or any other things for a rebuild. thanks!
this is my daily driver.
dkopfman Posts: 1Joined: 10 May 2014, 21:58Location: KansasModel and Year: 1998 V70R

Old 07-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danny72
I had my intake apart last night on the 98 R doing the TCV and hoses. I completely forgot my plugging the turbo intake tube as I always do with a paper towel, and dammit, decided it was more important to drink that 6th beer rather than remove the towel out before I started. it. The intercooler hose was sucking down hard and it wouldn't rev and I couldn't fig out why and I woke up this morning remembering it, and found (most) of the paper towel lodged down against the turbo blades. MOstly in one piece and only a little bit has been chopped up into... somewhere...???

1. Can I start the car with the turbo air intake and the pipe over the engine coming out of the turbo removed, to blow the bits of towel out?

2. I know it will start, but have I damaged my engine to the point of a turbo rebuild or complete teardown? Where did these shreds of high quality white paper towel go? Should I drain the oil I just changed right before doing this and use some kind of detergent to break down what small amount of paper got into the engine?

3. Did I ruin my car???
4.. Any suggestions would be a great help before I start it this morning and possibly ruin my beloved R.

I'd rather not pull the turbo or any other things for a rebuild. thanks!
this is my daily driver.
dkopfman Posts: 1Joined: 10 May 2014, 21:58Location: KansasModel and Year: 1998 V70R

50/50 chance it will blow out but I would def. check with a Volvo mechanic 1st.