General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Possibly buying a Volvo, need some reassurance

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly buying a Volvo, need some reassurance

Hello all! I'm looking to replace my 2002 Saturn SL1 I got in high school and found a 2006 Volvo XC70 with 130,000 miles for $7,000. It's fully loaded, clean, and seems to have no issues after a lengthy test drive and inspection. I'd stick with the Saturn a little bit longer, but it's too small for my current needs, has 146,xxx miles, and starting to develop quirks that I'm afraid will devolve into major issues that will cost more than the car is worth. I need a car that will last me through grad school (another 5-6 years), and since I only drive ~8,000 miles per year the Volvo should fit the bill seeing as they can last an upwards of 200k miles. I just want some input from someone who has had experience with a Volvo of this era in terms of reliability, performance, etc.

Should I pull the trigger on this or hold off and look for something else? Thanks in advance!

Old 08-16-2015, 08:56 AM

First, you have to realize that you are essentially considering a Ford product. Yes, it may have been made in Sweden, but by 2006 Volvo was quite a ways into the Ford-owned era. That said, I know lots of people who own Xc70's and love them and replace them with new XC70's. But, bottom line, they are not the bulletproof 240's, 740's, or 940's of the 1990's.

If you buy the one you mentioned, with 130,000 miles, you are out of warranty. If you keep it for a long time, you will experience repairs, some significant. Just the other day, I was chatting with the service guy where I take my vehicles for maintenance and repairs, and he mentioned that XC70's have experienced transmission failures at a higher than normal rate. Usually, they are out of warranty by the time the transmission problem appears, so the $5,000 or so cost to replace the transmission is borne by the owner. But, then Volvo guarantees the replacement transmission for the life of the car. Obviously, this is not publicized but handled case by case by Volvo as they occur. This is word of mouth, but from someone whom I respect who deals with XC70 repairs on a daily basis. I do not know if it affects all years of XC70, or just certain few years.

So my advice is get deep into the past maintenance and repairs of the XC70 you are looking at, especially what has been done to the transmission.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on making sure you know the maintenance history. 130K isn't too bad for one that has been well maintained, but for one that has been ignored you could experience some pretty costly repairs. Timing belt and transmission services are the things I would be looking for in addition to regular oil changes.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:54 PM

The dealer offered a 5 year/100,000 mile extended powertrain warranty through AUL Corp. and promised to address any issues before the final sale. There are a few gaps in the maintenance history which makes me think the previous owner did the oil changes themselves. No mention of any transmission or timing belt servicing, but I can ask him to change the timing belt at no cost.

Edit: I checked this site: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Volvo/XC70/ which indicates that most of the transmission problems occurred in the early 2000's

Last edited by Joben; 08-16-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The transmission issues went up to the 2006 model. I just bought a used '01XC70, cringing as I did so, for $2,500.00 no warranty. It has 175k miles and a new trans.

I've owned maybe 6 or 7 "redblock" 940/960 wagons. If I had to pick one to survive a zombie apocalypse, I'd go with the 940, but if you get that warranty, you'll like the amenities. If I could pick I'd get a plain "V" 70, and I might sell the XC. The AWD, and ride height was such a change from my RWD wagons, the added noise, poor MPGs, etc.

Most people just don't need the AWD. My non turbo RWD 940s with snows on them were some of the best winter cars I've owned. Now I may update this opinion if we keep getting the insane snow storms of late here in southern new england, but for a daily summer driver, handling, etc. I'd take a post '01 V 70. If I had $7k to spend I'd shop around for a cherry 240/940 redblock, probably a '94-'95 bosch system wagon, call IPD and start spending $$$ But that's me.

If that warranty will get you through grad school, you'll probably love the car. I'm 6'5" and my XC even in comparison to the older pre FordVos, is almost roomy for me, and that's saying something.

have fun...

Old 08-21-2015, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

There is nothing Ford about that car. Ford had no influence on the P2 chassis.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:06 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The timing belt needs done at 100.000 miles - that car needs it. While I agree that Ford meddling was minimal with these cars (I believe they took more than they gave) I also know that the 4 wheel drive cars are more troublesome. Any brand. More parts the more something can break and the more it takes to fix.
The engine is solid if maintained. YOU NEED THE TIMING BELT DONE BEFORE YOU GIVE HIM A PENNY. Water pump, and misc. parts at same time. I'd see if I could finagle a PCV replacement too,
4 wheel is more troublesome but sometimes it's worth it - case in point would be my #2 son. His S70 has gotten him through High School, college, and 3 years of med school - all in the sunny south. If he goes to the frigid north for a residency we may well look into an XC70 simply because it's better on the slippery stuff.

My '05 S80 has been one of the most dependable, trouble free cars I've ever owned, BTW. But, while Volvo's frequently last upwards of the 200k you mention (my S70 has 230,000 on the clock) it is not without expense and or labor. I budget 1000 a year on the S70 since it's far away now - average for last 6 years has been 700 dollars/year. Not bad.

Bottom line - in my opinion it's not a bad deal. Great driving car - lots of room, well built and finished. Much better than your Saturn to be honest. In my experience Volvo dealers generally don't retail bad cars- they wholesale the junk. So if he gets it current, throws in a warranty. Oh yeah, did I mention having him do the timing belt?

Old 09-05-2015, 08:54 PM

Thanks everyone for the info. I actually ended up lucking out and bought a 2010 Volvo V50 2.4i with 75,000 miles for $11,000. It's pretty well equipped (premium package, BLIS) and has no issues. I figured it will last me much longer and need less maintenance than an older XC70, especially since it lacks a turbo and AWD. Although its a little less peppy, I can live without that stuff. Can't wait to be a part of the community!