General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Redblocks vs whiteblocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Redblocks vs whiteblocks

Most every redblock i see at the junkyard has been wrecked in some way...most every whiteblock i see at the junkyard has not.

Redblocks for the win.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:29 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Oh, but just think how easy it is for us 850 owners to find headlight lenses in the junkyard.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:16 PM

That thought actually crossed my mind while at the jy today. There's 4 850's at the jy I use and they all had good headlights/taillights.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:57 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I love going to the junkyard. All the (white block) cars they have are nicer than the ones I drive.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:32 AM
Default Yeah, it's an older thread but I'll chime in...

(In Butthead's Voice, inside my head....)

"I HAVE FOUND....MY PEOPLE."

I cheated on a my 15 previous, 3 in the driveway now and.....one whiteblock (well, a '93 960....so...RWD whiteblock, that car was FUN...) I "tried" a 2001 XCV70. I LOVED the ergonomics. And that's where it ends.

My Spine is utterly destroyed, every vertebra is cracked, some crushed, and I'm 6'5" but I have the legs of a 5'8" man, and the spine/torso of a 7'10" man. My spine is longer than Shaquille O'Neils, and my Dad who was 5'8" and I wore the exact same pant size. I'm a little "top heavy" and with the back hair, and...front hair, running on the beach with my shirt off, I've had more than one girlfriend compare me to a bear on it's hind legs... Think Sasquatch.

So that XC was the FIRST car that's ever felt ROOMY to me, and Volvos have saved my life a few times. When I'm in my 940s, and I turn left to look for traffic and I'm looking SOLIDLY out of the rear passenger window.

I started with Swedish cars, older 900s Saabs in '99ish, and a '94 940 that was ten years old at the time, on the recommendation of a Neurosurgeon. My first 940 wagon... I fell in love immediately. 900s hatchbacks... don't get me started on GM killing them, but still for ease of repair/costs/parts-durability I've given up on Saab and been Volvo only for years now. If I had tons of money I'd do a blinged up 900s, but I don't.

EVERY SINGLE TIME something went wrong on that car, the XC I'd hear, "Yeah, that was a common failing on that car..." In one year, and this car had an '04 "Rebuilt" transmission... Rear wheel bearing. The noise-my god. Brake Booster-I didn't know that new Volvos came with FREE leaking air compressors under the dash panel... Dashboard lights/driving computer display complimentary for the first 3,000 miles.... Transmission- I can't explain the new "Explodomatic" design...10,000 miles and gone, software up grade, and everything. Looked like burnt turkey grease frying oil on the dip stick. Parts- only available at the "Stealership".... they take care of you there...for more money than God. Ignition/key-just rattle it around, it'll work... maybe.

I had to try one. I hate that it's the most comfortable car I've ever driven and fun, powerful with the LPT, and my spine is now in the process of turning into a solid piece of bone, plus my cord is calcified tethered to my L spine, think "MR. GLASS" from that Bruce Willis/Sam Jackson movie...

Plus the "All Wheel Drive" is really front wheel with sometimes rear wheel drive... My non-turbo 940 wagons, with good quality snows on them, SMOKE the XC for off road, and snow driving in New England winters. Car was all over the place.

I'm going to try and shoehorn some V70 manual seats a Volvo friend into a 940/740. They're like lazy boys in a car on my assed out spine.

I'm stocking up on cars literally-I need to sell the N'ext Wife's old Corolla, or "Torture Car" as I call it, get rid of the XC, so I can get 2 more redblock wagons. Need a 240... I think like cherry rebuilt 900s Saabs they're going to be worth MONEY in good condition, I can already see "mint" restored 80's cars going for upwards of $6k local to me. Although I'm not great with 240s...they are cool as hell and I grew up in the backseat of a '78 244. I'll part out the XC, it's sitting gathering leaves, and I use it as outside storage. I hate it. Most comfortable/worst car ever. I could swap the motor into a blown engine/working XC. They're all over Craigslist for $400 or less, and sell it. It'd pay for an engine hoist... and another redblock wagon...

SO yeah. My long winded vitriol.