General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Squeel at slow speed and when starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeel at slow speed and when starting

Please Help...

I just bought a 2005 V50T5 with 36K, like a few hours ago, and have noticed a squeel when braking/accelerating at slower speeds. The noise didn't occur, of course, during the test drive and on the way home. The noise is a high pitched without any noticeable shimmy or vibration in the wheel. The problem occurs more turning to the right than the left, but that may simply be coincidence. The vehicle was purchased from a non-Volvo dealer, and came with a 60-something point inspection which okayed the brakes (and not some other things so I don't think they were simply going through the motions) and is still under the factory warranty. I am at a loss. Please help o Volvo gurus...

Old 05-10-2008, 04:36 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Squeel at slow speed and when starting

*I can only assume 2 possibilities for now:

- Serpentine accessory drive belt slipping due to foreign material (coolant, oil, etc...) getting on the surface or due to defective belt tensioner. Visually check the belt surfaces for glazing (shiny appearance).

- Something in the brake system is slightly vibrating. This is more so with non-OEM brake components, usually the pads. If you verify that the noise is coming from the brakes, I would check for the pads' thickness (the wear indicator pins or the backing plates would score the rotor surfaces and make screeching noise, if the lining material has worn out), clean all brakes with a can of brake cleaner spray (be careful, as some brake cleaners contain toluene), remove pads if possible and apply silicone or molybdenum-based grease on all metal-to-metal contact areas, EXCEPT the friction surfaces.

*EDIT: I would also inspect the timing belt to make sure nothing is slipping/loose in there.

No recall was found on 2005 V50 other than one for fuel system:
http://www.autobuyguide.com/2005/12-...lls/index.html

See what other members have to say.

JPN

Old 01-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem except mine was a high pitched grinding sound. Its turns out o be coming fron the left brake rotor contacting some metal shield near the brakes. Re-alignment of metal shield helped to solve the problem.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If you only hear the sound when you are in motion, it is likely related to a brake component. If you hear the noise when you start the car, mostly when it's cold, then you likely have a problem with a tensioner or pulley.