General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Why does my Volvo smell like crayons?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my Volvo smell like crayons?

Smells like someone left crayons in there for 6 years or something lol.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:24 AM

I have the SAME problem!!! I can't figure it out! I know the complete history of my car as it has stayed in the family. I know that as a kid I did not leave any crayons in the car, and I am an only child so if anyone left crayons in the car it would have been me. Besides, I was 15 when my dad got this car so I was out of the crayon phase. It goes away when I detail the car, but give it a week and it comes right back. And I have found that the smell is the worst when the car is left in the parking lot for the day.

I would love to hear any suggestions someone has on this topic.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Default Volvo smells like crayons

I have been detailing vehicles for over 34 years, and I never encountered a vehicle smelling like crayons, this one is new to me,but I will try to assist you in finding a remedy for it. First, does the smell come back stronger after washing the exterior of the car, or after a heavy rain? Is the smell more pronounced when you turn the air conditioning on or putting on the fresh air mode on your climate control panel? Do you have leather seats? Have you cleaned the leather recently or applied a conditioner to them?

Old 09-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You know, I have tried to put my finger on that smell for 20 years. Now I know.

Old Volvo's have smelled like that for over 30 years. It might be something in the fire retard material, carpet or foam they use to manufacture it.

I have a special ozone box that I put in every Volvo that I purchase to avoid the odor from raising it's nasty head, and it works. But every Volvo that I get in that is older than 10 years old, has the odor. It is faint in the very clean ones, but the ones that are dirty or have been sitting (not driven much), it is very strong.

When I had my 740 GLE, I use to clean the mats, carpets, wipe down everything in the interior all the time so it never developed the odor (I kept it detailed). But every other Volvo that I acquired had the odor.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
...I have a special ozone box that I put in every Volvo that I purchase to avoid the odor from raising it's nasty head, and it works.
Always wondered about those machines, but never had much experience with them.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:59 PM
Default Same Issue...any success without an Ozone machine?

Hi...I have the same issue with my '01 S60 that I just bought. The interior is really clean but still smells like melted crayons. Has anyone had any success using one of those deodorizing "bombs"?

Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 PM

I'm going to try one of those Dakota Odor Bombs...I'll let you know how it works...

Old 10-01-2013, 01:15 PM

Haven't used the "bomb", but I did use a decent amount of Non-Smoke from Dakota

It works extremely well and leaves no residual odor or film on interior materials.
My wife described the scent as a bit chemical, but that fades in days.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:40 AM

I tried bombing the interior with one of those Dakota Odor Bombs...seemed like it worked at first, but the crayon smell was back in a few days. When I bombed it, I let it sit for about 12 hours after bombing, then left the windows open for the next full day to air it out. As I bought multiple cars of the Dakota Odor Bomb from Amazon, I used the "non bomb" spray position and sprayed the rugs directly (that seems to be the source of my particular crayon odor). I'll see what happens after a couple days. By the way, I used the "neutral air" scented odor bomb cans...It does have a bit of a floral smell to it, but that does dissipate after a few days.

By the way...the bomb will leave a wet spot above where it sprays...in my case it was on the moonroof. It's kinda like a wet-foamy substance that did wipe away readily and didn't seem to stain. If I didn't have the moonroof, I would probably recommend covering the area above where you are spraying with a towel or some kind of plastic...the foam in my case didn't really hit the headliner...it may have stained that if it did.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:18 AM

I have a 01 S80 and longest time I tried to describe that smell in until today when I read the post on here did it ever occur to me that it was the smell of crayons I don't want a bunch of different things if I had had my way I would rip the seats out but cooler heads prevailed so as of today no one has found a solution to this?

And as a part 2 to my question this is the first of all the liver on and it does have tamales on it 100 58000 from current owners over the years how does this car stand up to daily use are repairs expensive does it have a problem that keeps on popping up throughout different models is there anything I should know to prepare myself for?
Thanks for the help thanks for all your help

Old 03-28-2016, 08:00 PM
Default Crayons forever!

Unfortunately, nothing resolved the issue, not the dakota bomb, not multiple applications with an ozone generating ionizer. Within a couple days it's crayola time again!

My S60 is long gone...I hated the fact that virtually everything required programming via Volvo software to do a DIY repair. I loved the looks of the car and the power, but it was clear it was going to be a maintenance headache and it was time to move on. Best of luck...

Old 03-02-2022, 06:36 AM
Default Crayon smell isn’t just Volvos. Had the same with my Saab 9-5. Here’s the answer.

Originally Posted by ValleyB
Smells like someone left crayons in there for 6 years or something lol.
See this article. https://tiremeetsroad.com/2019/08/03...-like-crayons/