General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

XC60 Driver Alert System Fault

Old 05-21-2015, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC60 Driver Alert System Fault

I have a 2012 XC60 with 19,000 kms, still under warranty. I took the vehicle to the Volvodealership for routine service (oil change, filters etc.) everything was working fine. When the vehicle was returned the following systems are listed as unavailable in the messaging center; 1) Collision warning, 2) Lane Departure and 3) Driver alert. I returned the next day to the dealership to correct the fault and was told that this is a circuit fault and not covered under warranty. The dealership admits to having "updated" the electronic control module. Interesting the fault was not present when the vehicle was delivered to dealership for routine service. The dealer and Volvo (who has not even diagnosed the vehicle) per the dealer refuse to repair under warranty.

My question is have other owners experienced 1) Collision warning, 2) Lane Departure and 3) Driver alert Unavailable system faults? and have other owners experienced Volvo's refusal to honor warranty?

Old 05-21-2015, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

What is their reason for not covering it under warranty?

Old 05-21-2015, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
What is their reason for not covering it under warranty?

The dealer, who appears to have caused the issue when they serviced my vehicle, declared that the windshield film installed in 2012 CY created the issue. Remember no diagnostics were preformed. Only a test drive to determine if the system is operable. At no time has a Volvo technician diagnosed my vehicle. The Volvo dealer is the only one to speak to Volvo Corporation representatives.
I find it difficult to understand how Volvo can ignore a customer issue and not investigate themselves.
I am a former Automotive executive with background in Product Engineering, Finance, Strategic Planning, Product Planning, Sales, Marketing and Customer Service. I find Volvo callus and not at all customer friendly.
I have written to Volvo through their customer feedback web page and to date not received as much as an acknowledgement of receipt of my concern.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

If it had been diagnosed as the film being the cause then yes, the warranty would not apply. I'm sure they at least checked fault codes.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:25 PM

ES6T: Nice factory response. How long have you worked for Volvo. If you read my description NO DIAGNOSTICS have been performed and Volvo Representative has not had courtesy to review the vehicle. As a factory representative you must be aware that Volvo made a mid-cycle change to the circuit removing it from the windshield laminate interior position and repositioning the circuit to the camera housing. There are only two reasons Volvo would invest in a mid-product cycle change such as this. 1) cost reduction action or 2) to correct a product failure issue which caused too many warranty complaints and high warranty cost.
This is a Volvo product issue.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

I am not a factory rep. I read your post. Now read mine. I said IF IT HAD BEEN DIAGNOSED.

I don't see how they could blame the film without at least checking codes. But you seem to know everything about this, so good luck.