Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

FREE: Cold Air Intake? and questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FREE: Cold Air Intake? and questions

Buying or making cold air intake parts for cars, has become hugely popular. I understand the reason for it and pretty much how it works, and I understand the reason people want to do it. Who wouldn't want the extra horsepower that a cold air intake is supposed to provide?
I have a few questions though.
If it really works so well, why didn't the factory do it? I know the heated intake is supposed to be more fuel efficient or cleaner running, or both. Should I assume that my cars emissions will increase if I go to a cold air system? I live in an area where we have emissions testing.
So if the pipe bringing heat from the exhaust to the intake is removed, isn't what is left, effectively a cold air intake? - considering the breather box draws air from the front of the car. Unless some portion of the stock intake system restricts airflow I don't see where you would gain anything by buying a new intake and cone filter.
How do you know, if your cars sensors and computer can adequately detect the increased air density, and flow of air (if any) and make the changes needed in fuel and spark, to provide the benefits you're seeking? - After all, just increasing the amount of air without making other changes would, in most cases, decrease the performance, and increase the emissions.
Any comments? Anything anyone would like to share?
------------------------------------------
I recently bought a 1993 850 with a 5 speed. I love this car. I've had some 240's, a 740 turbo, and a 940 and I loved all of them - but this is my first 5 cyl. and my first Volvo standard transmission. I wish I'd bought an 850, years ago.
The bad thing about this car - it has no boost!!! DANGIT!

Old 07-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: FREE: Cold Air Intake? and questions

The mass flow sensor measures the amount of air that comes across it.When you give it more air it will go across faster and the sensor will pick it up and make the changes it needs to.

A good cold air kit doesn't elliminate any of the factory items.It might move then some but they are still in the piping.

Old 08-18-2005, 02:08 PM

I had a '91 saturn before I got my volvo. I was looking for cool mods I could put on it, but when I opened the hood, I realized that it already had something that closely resembled a cold-air intake, a big plastic tube that ran down to the bottom-front of the car. as far as I can see, thats all a cold-air intake is...correct me if I'm wrong.

btw, it also had 4 to1 headers stock...

Old 08-18-2005, 08:02 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It is very similiar to a cold air intake.But there is a valve and other stuff in the box to restrict the air.

You would be better off making one it will breathe better then.

Old 09-12-2005, 08:31 PM

The factory air box is designed to pick up cold air, but it is also made to silence the sound of the air going into the engine. Factory boxes silence the air by restricting the air flow. If you were to take the air box out, you would be suprised to see how small the hole is that lets air into/out of the box.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:58 PM

Hi Guys,
I have dicked around with cold air intake and pod filters...i think that the factory cold air intake volvo provide is great. i experimented with a pod filter i thought the results were very poor the car suffered from heat soak, and did not run good at all.

The gear changes on my auto transmission seemed all out of whack and it would bottom out at about 4-5000rpm , the car seemed like it was about to choke .
I have a v70 2.4t 2000 model. Once i installed the original air box and air intake the car was back to normal...my advise if you are going to muck around with pod filters don't bother, if you want to dick around with cold air intake do your homework....
Thanks
Jamie..

Old 11-09-2005, 10:44 PM

foes anyone know where i can get an intake for a 1992 940gl?

thanks
mike
mikeb5479@msn.com

Old 01-09-2007, 02:27 AM

Ditto here-does anyone know of any good cool air intakes for an S80 2.9L non-turbo?

Old 01-31-2007, 04:20 AM

ORIGINAL: WhooFleuryScores

Ditto here-does anyone know of any good cool air intakes for an S80 2.9L non-turbo?
Same here. I wanna do one but pointless to me if it's not actually do what it's supposed to.

Good luck finding a kit for the S80. I tried already. They don't make one. Going to have to "Pepboys" it as I say.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:34 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: HelgaTheS80

ORIGINAL: WhooFleuryScores

Same here. I wanna do one but pointless to me if it's not actually do what it's supposed to.

Good luck finding a kit for the S80. I tried already. They don't make one. Going to have to "Pepboys" it as I say.
No intake made for the s80?

Why not this one?

VP-013158 BMC 1999-2004 S80 6-cyl Non-turbo/T6 80mm MAF CDASP-02 Out of Stock $349.95
This is found on http://www.vivaperformance.com under the S80 section followed by the Engine section in the S80 section. You can ask when they will get them back in stock if they do and if not ask where you can still buy them.

Now as far as it helping you, I can't say it will or it wont. I am not sure on this, but you may have to do a little custom work to get this to fit in your S80.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:45 AM

Ok; I'll takea look at that and give it a try....in the meantime we'll see how this Sat's test drive of the S80 T6 I'm looking at goes....

Old 05-04-2007, 09:42 PM

I've made a few CAI's on a few different cars. Yes, the stock box is pretty restrictive but, it does keep everything nice an quite. I however happen to like the sound of a CAI drawing in air. All of the set ups I've made had places for all ofthe sensors. I've never had a problem. Yesterday, I removed the hose that draws in hot air from the exhaust. Pretty soon I will start working on something to let the engine breath better. I am going to try to use as many stock parts as possible and just move some things around make some modifications. I will take some pictures and post the results when I'm done.
By the way I have a 1990 240 DL so this will hopefully help out all the guys like me with the older cars.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever making major changes to the intake it's a good idea to disconnect the battery to allow the computer to reset its timing/fuel points. Then allow proper time for the computer to 'learn'. This could be a reason that some people have an adverse reaction.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:47 AM

hmm now that could be helpfull when I mess around with the intake! thanks!

Old 10-22-2007, 08:26 AM

I have a 98 S90 and i was wondering if i could put an airintake in it. Ive heard from a few people that putting an airintake in any car will eventually mess up the air mass meter/air mass censor or whatever, and eventually lead to terrible gas milage. Is this true? and if not help me out on what kind i should get?
thanks in advance

Old 11-28-2007, 07:17 PM

I decided to put in a K&N panel filter on the factory boxand run a 3" aluminum flex tube down between the battery and radiator and end inside the front left air dam opening on my 850R. This has not increased the noise level but maximizes cool, outside air coming in (just have to avoid deep standing water). This mod also enables you to remove the plastic air inlet piece that partially blocks the intercooler. I also relocated the horns to open up the space behind the grill. The 3" flex hose snakes through w/o any modifications/cutting except for the bottom splash pan which needs to be notched. Once it is cut and mounted, the splash pan holds the flex hose perferctly in place. I've been pretty happy with this setup and it only cost a few bucks for the materials + the filter.