Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Port/Polish

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Port/Polish

So how many if any ofyou guys have ported and polished the intake manifold?

Would it be worth doing? What do you think the gains would be? Loose lower end gain upper end? Or vice versa?

I knew of someone making tubular intake manifolds a while back over in Sweden I believe. I might be wrong on that. But I haven't seen anything really. Other then the manifold that VMS sells, but there isn't much info about it.

Can some one elaborate on VMS's product?

Old 04-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Default RE: Port/Polish

Anyone?

Old 04-09-2006, 09:27 PM

I would think you would have to port and polish your exhaust manifold as well.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think porting refers to smoothing or actually changing the size or shape of the intake and exhaust ports on the head(s) of a car. Polishing is just that, smoothing any rough surface on intakes or exhaust manifolds to improve air flow. If you port an engine, best let someone do it who knows what they are doing and has access to a flow bench. You can really screw up a head if you dont get the intake and exhaust matched with what is happening in the combustion chamber. Polishing on the other hand is much less exacting and can be done by anyone with a Dremel and the proper bits.BJ

Old 04-10-2006, 03:48 PM

I know all that. I was asking if someone around here has done it and what the results were like. I wouldn't do it myself I don't have thr skill.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:30 PM

Never done it on a Volvo. Have had head ported on a Mazda 626GT and have polished both intake and exhaust manifolds on same car . Two results car picked up 10 hp on dyno and ran much smoother.Car was turboed so I assume same results possible on other vehicles.Sorry, did not mean to sound condescending on other post. BJ

Old 10-28-2007, 06:16 PM

to port and polish the intake and exhaust is ok, but the biggest gain will be from cams and gasket matching. if your gonna open up those ports really big, i hope you have a nice intake manifold, a big turbo and big intercooler as well as a big exhaust which = big $$$$$

Old 12-12-2007, 09:34 AM

usually port/polish is done on n/a engines, because there is no turbocharger to force the air into the intake manifold and force it out of the exhaust.

my father told me he did it in Ukraine long time ago on n/a engine, he said you can feel it a little bit, not that much, but I think it's worth it. pretty cool experience, if u do yourself.

Oleg

Old 03-07-2008, 09:25 PM

HAD THE HEAD'S PORTED ON MY CHEVY NOVA WITH A 350 V-8 AFTER I GOT IT BACK TOGETHER IT RAN LIKE A RAPED APE. IT MADE A HUGE DIFFERANCE.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:21 AM

^Your self or at a shop?

Because correct me if i'm wrong, you gotta get the heads ports and polished at a shop with a flowbench. Because you can seriously mess things up if you don't do it right...

Old 03-08-2008, 04:15 PM

I bought them that way i would probably screw it up if i did it.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:27 PM

Well, I'll be seeing if I screwed stuff up or not, as I'm just finishing the build of my motor. I gasket matched and Ported and Polished myself. The Head, Intake, as well as new R exhaust manifold. Here's a link to some photos if you care to look. ; http://rides.webshots.com/album/563883893OGxoym
August 8th, I'm taking everything up to IPD for them to do a swap and add their stage III kit. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm keeping a photo record of the project at the site I left you, so it will be updated a lot shortly during the week of August 11 - 18, 2008.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:34 PM

wow it seems like it felt faster, seemed smoother......where are the dyno charts! seat of the pants dyno is never an accurate or even close.....rant off.

You did not mess up your motor. It looks like you did a good job. Port matching is always a good thing. In a factory produced motor there is always mismatched parts that is just the nature of mass production. Any time i have a motor apart i always match port everything. I also blend the valve seats into the head also. Just little things to clean up the factory flaws. I call this cleaning up the head not porting.

There is a fine line with porting though. If you just take a die grinder and a flap wheel and clean up the factory flaws and clasting marks to smooth everything out. The key is DO NOT CHANGE THE SHAPE of the port unless you know what you are doing and have the proper equipment to measure flow. Then that is always a good thing. Now if you go hog wild with a grinder and think bigger is better then you will probably loose power.

Now i do not build turbo motors so i cannot tell you how much difference it will make on a turbo. But with a NA engine it can make a huge difference or you can kill the power. The key to porting is you haft to match the flow rate of the ports and keep the velocity as high as possible to the cams and rpm range you are working the motor. IE if you take the heads off a nascar motor and bolt them to you truck motor you will have a dog of a truck. The heads made 750hp on the nascar but make 200 on the stock truck...why.The reason is the heads are ported to work with the whole package. You build the head to the motor not drop a head on a motor and expect more hp. we can get into cam timing, Velocity supercharging, Overlap, Duration, Lift, Flame front speed.......so on and so on. But this at all NA motor stuff to make the motor more efficient

So with a turbo i would expect that there would be a smaller difference because air is forced into the motor not drawn into it. Maybe some of the turbo guys can jump in here. What I would expect would be to make slightly more power at lower boost levels, Unless you are really pushing the limits I would guess that a stock head will do fine for most builds although a good port match is always a good thing.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:39 PM

As far as i can see, it's really not worth doing. Polished look would be cool but hard to get.