Mid West IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

Looking for Mechanic in Chicago Area

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Mechanic in Chicago Area

It looks like my son needs a starter/solenoid replaced on a 1983 244. The job is above his skill level. Does anyone have a recommendation of a good volvo mechanic or someone who can do this job for a reasonable price? My son is a student at U of C and his car is currently near Ohare Airport. So a mechanic on a public transportation line would be very helpful. Thank you for you help in advance

Old 02-01-2010, 03:55 PM

Hi,
This is probably way to late, but good for future notice:
John at Euro Auto Plex is considered by many to be the best Volvo mechanic in Chicago (though I'm trying to learn as much on my own as possible because his $90/hr rates are killing me 5 years later, and he's directly off of the Ashland Bus or a quick walk from the Division Blue Line.

(773) 235-0176
1533 N Ashland Ave

Old 02-02-2010, 03:47 AM
Default Thanks for recommendation

I saw reference to John at Euro Auto Plex. There were mixed reviews. Some great and some people had bad experiences there. Some people swear by him.

Euro Auto Plex
1533 North Ashland Avenue
Chicago, IL 60622-2228
(773) 235-0176

5 reviews here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/euro-auto-plex-chicago
More reviews here: http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...uro-auto-plex/

I ended up sending my son to Bryan's Garage. Evidently he used to work for Hubbard Woods Motors http://www.hubbardwoodsmotors.com/ who also get good reviews too but it's an expensive dealership.

Bryan’s Garage
2829 Central St
Evanston, IL 60209
(847) 492-0755

We tried Bryan's Garage and so far so good.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by chicago
you can find private volvo mechanic at this email in chicago area he is volvo mechanic send email to volvochicago@live.com im sure he can help you .he has all volvo diagnostic scanner for volvo all you need for volvo he got it .also comes to your home if you like .HE ANSWER'S FREE VOLVO QUESTION IF YOU HAVE THRU EMAIL .
I bought a 99 S70 and needed a Volvo mechanic throughout my search and actually used this guy and he was great. He actually came to all the places and private sellers I was looking at on his own time and inspected all the cars. He works from home or comes to you. He is honest and a straightforward guy who knows his Volvos. Glad I found him. He ran VIN numbers for me ahead of time and everything.

I should mention that he is located on the West Side right where the Edens and Kennedy split, but like I said he will travel if you need him to. He inspected a S40 for me in Austin and looked at an S70 in Lincolnwood and looked at the one I ended up buying in Bucktown at Western and Fullerton.

I only made this account to tell people that he is a straight shooter and shouldn't be passed up.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:49 PM
Thumbs up volvo mechanic chicago

I found the private Volvo mechanic here on Volvo forums I have xc90 and s80 Volvo he works on Volvo over 20 years .He is very good on prices than any Volvo repair shop you will ever find in Chicago area I did not believe at first time the quality of work until he did work for me im so happy I found him . all I can share with you is his email to contact him volvochicago@live.com and try it out i dont think you will loose anything for trying > . Dan

Last edited by chicago; 11-09-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up volvo mechanic chicago

in chicago .My volvo 2009 was stalling and then immediately dying. I
called volvo mechanic chicago in to check whether I could be seen same
day and spoke with the owner he asked a few pertinent details and said sure
bring it by.. Meanwhile the problem had stopped happening , but I still
wanted an opinion. Upon arriving at his shop he was right there, remembered me, asked
me to pop the hood and as he looked around, explained to me his diagnosis
of the problem and the evolution of throttle mechanisms ETM into this
computer-driven age. He agreed with my solution is likely carbon residue,
sticky when cold, catching the throttle automator and to clean etm . But
then, he and I had a pleasant, informative 15 min chat about the state of
my car - it's got 116,000 mi and is overdue for a timing belt change etc..
whether to put moneyIt was immediately apparent that he was honest,
trustworthy and completely down-to-earth. I felt very lucky because it can
be really hard online to tease out who's a legitmatey good person and who
runs a slick business operation i have tested him out and my freinds and
can tell you volvo mechanic chicago is your best way for any repair for
cheap and quliaty price on your volvo .all i can share is his contact
email volvochicago@live.com . they dont let it post here his phone
number but here is if you can see it xxx-xxx-xxxx . only made this account to tell people that he is a straight shooter also and shouldn't be passed up here in chicago area .

The following users liked this post:
Greg1234 (02-17-2022)
Old 11-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Wow, the last two posts look like they are written by the same person. Pretty suspiscious... I bet it is the "straight shooter" himself.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Default He fixed my 1998 XC70

I recommend this guy, he fixed everything that was needed to keep my XC70 going, and at a better price than the dealer. It runs better now than ever, and I have had the car for 10 years! He knows Volvos.

This is his contact

volvochicago@live.com

Old 07-21-2014, 04:15 PM

You know...we all want 2 things when fixing our cars, to be the cheapest and to be the best, and usually in life that is not possible. But when it comes to fixing your volvo it actually is, I promise. If you contact volvochicago@live.com that guy will charge you the least yet he is the nicest, most understanding, most patient, most flexible, most professional, top guality and just loves fixing cars and helping people. I have 2 volvos and he is the only one that I have ever called for any service and never had 1 reason not to. I promise you you will be satisfied because this guy is maybe not the nicest human being he is definitely the best mechanic.
Thank you

Last edited by ichalid; 07-27-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:42 PM

Thought I'd throw our name out there. I work at C.H Imports up in Fox Lake (pretty far north of Chicago). My Dad (owner) has been around for 30 years specializing in Volvos and we've got a Volvo parts yard with about 50 Volvos in there if you need random parts or what have you.

Also, I can vouch for John over at Euro Autoplex. If any of our clients are stuck in the city or can't make the drive to see us, we send them over to John. Nowhere else.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:35 PM
Default Volvo Mechanic Chicago area (private)

I got this guy thru referral and online search . I used almost all volvo dealers around Chicago after I found him I will never need to go to any VOLVO dealer or any repair shop anymore all I can tell you he is a perfect mechanic honest and knows volvo like book . I can share his email he likes that you contact him thru email he replys within hour most the time . His email volvochicago@live.com

Last edited by Greg1234; 02-19-2016 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-28-2015, 11:52 PM
Default Volvo Mechanic Chicago area

if you hate good service and enjoy over paying repair shops and the dealers this is not the place for you stop reading ! .The costumer service at Private Volvo Mechanic are 2nd to none . He will walk you through the hole car repair process and explain to you the issue that you are having and he will not talk you down like most places do .Private Volvo Mechanic i did try him after I was reading and researching volvo mechanic I was reading all this postings online all around about him so I tried it . And all i can say he is fantastic Volvo Mechanic . I highly recommened him over any dealership or mechanic in Chicago area . His contact info volvochicago@live.com try for your self worth it !

Last edited by jeffvolvo; 12-28-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:12 PM

I'm a happy customer of volvochicago@live.com too! As far as I'm concerned, he is my mechanic for life.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:44 PM

Took my '04 V70 to Volvochicago@live.com and he diagnosed the issues within minutes! Very friendly and very knowledgeable. Right from the start you know you came to the right place. Best part is that he is direct with no BS. Also, very understanding and professional. He will tell you what's best for you and your car and leaves it up to you to decide. It was quite impressive in what time he was able to tell what the car needed. And now to the goodies. He fixed bad idle, loss of power with throttle body going bad. No not cleaning, that did not work. My car needs a few other little things that are not high priority that I didn't know about but he found. He never pushed and was honest and said they could wait if the money wasn't there. He will tell you if something needs immediate attention to avoid further damage and further costs. If you have a Volvo go to him. He knows Volvo like I know how to breathe.