New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

2000 V40 buzzing from under batt when engine off?

Old 10-20-2016, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 V40 buzzing from under batt when engine off?

Hi guys! I just inherited a 2000 V40. Got it running fine yesterday, but this morning I went out and it was buzzing from under the battery (driver's side), and it won't shut off unless I disconnect the battery.

It appears to be a pump under the battery that's running continuously.

What is it? It's hard to see/get to it. Is it a vacuum pump? If so, what does it control? And has anyone else experienced this and know what I should do to fix it?

Thanks for any advice you can provide to this newbie Volvo owner!

Old 10-21-2016, 10:37 AM

I looked at my 2000 C70, far as I could see there is nothing under the battery tray (except wires) and I don't have any sound coming from the engine compartment at all. The battery and tray should be easy to remove and it's open underneath them, should worth your time to look. Also could be something a prior owner installed there.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:54 AM

Hey Blade - thanks for checking your vehicle and replying here!

On mine, the battery tray (which is easy to remove) sits on top of a metal shelf that's anything but easy to remove (everything else is attached to it). Below that, there's a void of space that might be easiest to access by removing the quarter panel. There's definitely a pump there. Through a small opening in the metal plate I can see down there and was able to touch the pump (and feel the vibration of it while running) using a long, thin piece of metal.

I'm guessing this might be an electronic brake booster/vacuum pump. Coincidentally, I found some paperwork in the vehicle which appears to be a recall notice (NHTSA RECALL 03V474) that specifically references a recall to fix the "electrical brake vacuum pump" which may get damaged from water (makes sense to me based on the location of the pump I'm seeing) causing the pump to not function (I imagine the pump would burn out eventually from continuous operation), requiring more brake force to stop the vehicle.

I found the braking on it to be a bit odd during a test drive (there were times it didn't stop properly) so I'm guessing all of these clues are adding up to a bad brake vacuum pump.

I'm not sure how old recalls like this work - if the dealer will still fix it for free, or not? It looks like they issued the recall back in 2004, but this letter is dated 2013 (and I know the car was not serviced since the letter). I'm hopeful I can have the dealer fix it without cost to me - otherwise, I'll be forced to rip into it myself.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:11 PM

Hi Waz, any success with this issue? I definitely don't have any sound coming from anywhere in the engine compartment in either of my cars.

You're probably correct on the vacuum pump, I haven't had a chance to dig into that area yet so not sure what what is exactly in there but I did have to remove the battery and tray last weekend from my '99 V70, I took a picture, probably looks similar to yours? Hope you were able to get to the bottom of the problem.

Let me know if you need me to look up anything or how you're progressing.

Blade~

Attached Thumbnails 2000 V40 buzzing from under batt when engine off?-img_0963.jpg  
Old 10-26-2016, 03:38 AM

Hey Blade - thanks for checking up on me!

I left the battery disconnected for a couple of days while I waited till someone could drive to the dealership with me and give me a ride home again. Finally took it in yesterday, but when I connected the battery, the pump started right back up again. It drove fine but I noticed very little braking power when barely moving. Once I started some street driving it seemed fine again - so I think I am having an issue related to that recall on the brake vacuum pump.

Oddly, once I got it to the dealership and shut off the car, the pump turned off, too, which it didn't do the last time I drove it specifically to see if it would shut off after driving. The dealership was a bit of a trek - so maybe the longer drive time helped get more pressure built up in the brake system? I don't know...

I should hear back from the dealer tomorrow - they joked that the recall was so old they'd have to order the parts.

Your pic looks very similar to mine, as I recall from memory. Underneath that metal shelf where you bat plate was attached is a void of space which is where the pump resides on mine. After removing the bat and bat plate (my bat plate was rusted through in one spot, directly above where that pump sits - which might explain why the pump location can cause water to damage it), I could see down there with a flashlight. Just behind that headlight there was a gap large enough to see through and get a long piece of metal down to touch the pump and feel the vibration confirming that it was what I heard running.

I should hear back from the dealership today. If the recall doesn't address it as I hope, I'll have to dig into it further. I guess I'll find out soon enough!

Old 10-27-2016, 11:58 AM

Hi Waz, glad to hear you're at least on track? Was your car sitting for a while before you acquired it? That would definitely explain things not working properly on it and sometimes the issues resolve themselves as the car is running again. I have not had the chance to venture into that space, thanks for letting me know what to find there. Hope this can be resolved quick and hope it wont cost you. By the way you could also try just any mechanic before taking the car to the dealer. My mechanic gladly works on it for me (for like 1/3 of the price than the dealer).

Share a picture of your car too if you can!

If you need me check anything else on my cars just let me know.

PS: Speaking of recalls, a couple of years ago I purchased a 1959 Cadillac from second owner, still had a recall paper in the glove compartment from 1962 for some of steering assembly issues. We're still thinking about taking it to the dealer to see what they say.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:13 PM

Hey Blade,

Re your Cadillac - that's hilarious! Would love to see what a dealer says about that recall!

Yes, this Volvo was sitting for a couple of years before I got it running again. In fact, the windshield wipers had basically rotted to the windshield it sat for so long.

It's actually in really good/clean condition overall. It's at the dealer now, and they say they're done with the recall work. I'm just waiting on a ride (maybe Sat?) to get over there and pick it up.

I'll have to snap a pic of it once I've got it back.

Once I've got it, it'll soon be my primary vehicle as my 2003 F350 needs to go to the doctor with blown headgaskets (for the 2nd time). That'll be a $4k repair, but it's worth it because it runs on waste vegetable oil. I've saved a lot of money on fuel over the years - far more than the $4k repair bill. Having it back up and running for longer trips will be a relief. And having this Volvo for local driving will be perfect, too (not great for the big diesel to make short trips).

I'll probably personally tackle anything else with the Volvo. With wrench-in-hand, I know just enough to be dangerous. If I had the space and equipment, I'd give my truck a shot on the headgasket repair - but need to take the entire cab off the truck to do that work, which isn't fun here in MN at this time of year without a large, heated garage and proper equipment.

Thanks very much for your offer of help - much appreciated!!

Old 11-01-2016, 03:03 PM

Well, I got the car back from the dealer and it appears that the recall fixed my issue. Everything seems to be functioning the way it should, and I no longer have braking issues at low speeds. Best of all, I didn't have to pay anything to get it fixed!

2000 V40 buzzing from under batt when engine off?-img_2437.jpg