New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

2001 S40 problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 S40 problems

So to start off im new to the forum and volvos in general. I bought my car (2001 S40 1.9t US model automatic) a few months back for a steal and needing work. Two main oil leaks i think the turbo reurn gasket and yet to find the second but definitely getting oil on timing cover inside and out. Plus the front stabilizer bar is bolted in and has new links but only to find out no main bushings so it rattles to death and wants to push out but i love it none the less i can fix those problems...but recently while trying to fix the turbo oil return leak i dropped the exhaust from the catalytic converter mounted to the turbo for room (big guy) but found a bolt i couldnt break loose and i hung the exhaust but left it disconnected. Two days later runnin just the cat off my turbo (i do drive aggressively) going around a round about my car lost what seemed to be most power and no turbo spool at all barely. There was no precurser sound or shuddering but now there is an tick from the back of the valve cover almost no power but it still runs i had to drive it home a few miles (6-7) barley giving it gas but it made it. Now ut will crank but still ticking and now doesnt seem to want to move. Any rough guesses on where to begin?? I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Try using a mechanics stethoscope (or piece of tubing) to see if you can listen to where the ticking is coming from. Is there a check engine light on? If so pull the codes. Its possible the oil leak and loss of power could be related to the VVT gear - have you popped off the timing cover and head cover to check it out? If you are way down on power, like barely can idle you can try a compression test but it almost sounds like the turbo isn't spinning and its just clogging up the airflow. Can the car even rev up in neutral?

Old 01-08-2017, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mt6127
Try using a mechanics stethoscope (or piece of tubing) to see if you can listen to where the ticking is coming from. Is there a check engine light on? If so pull the codes. Its possible the oil leak and loss of power could be related to the VVT gear - have you popped off the timing cover and head cover to check it out? If you are way down on power, like barely can idle you can try a compression test but it almost sounds like the turbo isn't spinning and its just clogging up the airflow. Can the car even rev up in neutral?

I have used a long handle screw driver and probed around the cover the sound is deff coming from the 2nd cylinder from right on back side. It sounds like a valve or something becasue i can hear the others smooth tick that one is much louder. There is a check engine light im going to pull it either today or tomorrow (we got some snow yesterday gotta dig it out). I havent pulled the timing cover off yet. And no the last time i cranked it, it didnt want to rev up at all really but crank fine. I also just recieved an endoscope so im going to try and see what i can find with it as well.