Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:38 PM
KIA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo question

Tomorrow I'm going to the local wrecking yard to get a factory volvo turbo for my 87 740 which is a n/a motor, will I just need to get the exhaust manifold and turbo, or will I need the maf sensor too, I've built turbo kits befor
Just not sure about the maf sensors, is there anything else I'll need to grab off the car while I'm there to make this work on my car??

Old 06-17-2009, 12:18 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If you built turbo kits before you should know a lot of what you need.

1. Turbo

2. Intercooler

3. Intercooler hard pipes

4. Downpipe

5. Vaccum lines

6. Turbo hoses

7. Hose clamps or t-bolt clamps

8. Your ECU is going to need to be tuned to make the car run properly.

9. Etc...

Old 06-17-2009, 01:29 PM
KIA

Yea I know what I need to make it work I have a bunch of parts stocked up already, I have an intercooler from a newer mercedes, lots of intake piping stock up that I can make to fit, and lots of other odds and ends, I just don't know if there are major differences between the 2 motors like airflow sensors, I'm pretty much custom making everything except for the exhaust manifold and turbo for now, until I get another motor to build up so I can run more boost.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the NA MAF wires will run to the other side of the bay, then you could just stick wiht stock....

Adub96 can step in......

Old 07-02-2009, 06:48 PM

I'm not sure what your ultimate goal is, but to switch from a naturally aspirated to a turbo set up, you need to be sure you cover all of your bases. The most important thing that you need to be aware of is the computer mapping, since the timing curve will need to be modified (retard the timing as boost builds) as well as the fuel curve, which having a MAF system will help adust, but I would check the difference in the fuel pressure gauge as well as the fuel pump gph/psi. Considering you are not going to be switching camshafts and there is most likely a different grind between the turbo and n/a engines, make sure you adjust the spark plug gap and possibly the plug heat range to prevent detonation/head gasket failure ect.

Of course, if you are simply looking to add 5 psi of boost, you might be fine with just running premium gas and tightening the spark plug gap. You will know one you get it going, if you pull a spark plug and notice tiny little dots on the plug or if the porcelain is bone white, you need to address the items above.

At a minimum, make sure you change the fuel filter so fuel is not restricted. There are other tweaks you can do without going crazy, such as taking the fuel pressure regulator apart and stretching the spring slightly or if offered, buying a stiffer one.

I am not familiar enough yet with Volvo's engine set up and limitations to offer specific advice, but, the above information would relate to any vehicle that you are converting to a forced induction system, such as turbo or supercharger.

The extent of your necessary modifications will be dependant upon the boost you plan to run as well as the increase in power you expect over stock. Keep in mind that the stock system was designed to supply the stock set up with what it needs, so if you are adding an additional 25% hp to the base set up, the stock configuration will need to be modified.