Penta Discuss Volvo Penta Marine Machines Within.

Volvo Penta D4 and D6 injector problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo Penta D4 and D6 injector problems

I read in a couple of pleasure craft magazines in Norway that there had been breakdowns on a total number of 32 Volvo Penta D4/D6 engines at the end of year 2007 due to an explosion in the cylinder of copper surrounding the fuel injectors. This explosion leads to too high pressure in the cooling water section of the engine, and as a result of that, the frost plugs leave the block and cause the cooling water to disappear, and then the breakdown is a fact. On some engines, pieces of the block have been found in the bottom of the keel.

Volvo Penta has confirmed this information, but they do not know why this is happening. They fear that the diesel sold in Norway could be a problem, but tests of the diesel show that it is of good quality. Also, on some D4/D6 one or more of the injectors have been replaced by new ones which have saved the engines from breakdown. Volvo Penta says that only in Norway they have experienced this problem with the injectors and breakdowns on D4/D6 engines.

Does anyone here know if this problem with the injectors has happened elsewhere than in Norway, for example in the UK, USA or in Europe? I would appreciate if anyone could check this out, and, if something found, could inform about it at this forum! Links to magazines and documents would be fine!

Thank you in advance!

Old 02-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Default RE: Volvo Penta D4 and D6 injector problems

I found some links to the leisure craft magazines in Norway where the injector problems on Volvo Penta D4/D6 are described. The language is in Norwegian.

http://www.batmagasinet.no/baatweb/b...5?OpenDocument

http://www.batmagasinet.no/baatweb/b...3?OpenDocument

http://www.batmagasinet.no/baatweb/b...7?OpenDocument

Old 03-01-2008, 03:53 AM
Default RE: Volvo Penta D4 and D6 injector problems

good to know

Old 09-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D6 -350 engine problems

Originally Posted by Truls
I read in a couple of pleasure craft magazines in Norway that there had been breakdowns on a total number of 32 Volvo Penta D4/D6 engines at the end of year 2007 due to an explosion in the cylinder of copper surrounding the fuel injectors. This explosion leads to too high pressure in the cooling water section of the engine, and as a result of that, the frost plugs leave the block and cause the cooling water to disappear, and then the breakdown is a fact. On some engines, pieces of the block have been found in the bottom of the keel.

Volvo Penta has confirmed this information, but they do not know why this is happening. They fear that the diesel sold in Norway could be a problem, but tests of the diesel show that it is of good quality. Also, on some D4/D6 one or more of the injectors have been replaced by new ones which have saved the engines from breakdown. Volvo Penta says that only in Norway they have experienced this problem with the injectors and breakdowns on D4/D6 engines.

Does anyone here know if this problem with the injectors has happened elsewhere than in Norway, for example in the UK, USA or in Europe? I would appreciate if anyone could check this out, and, if something found, could inform about it at this forum! Links to magazines and documents would be fine!

Thank you in advance!

I am in the middle of trying to resolve this very issue with my boat. The engines are installed in a 400SS Formula and it first manifested itself with diesel fuel appearing in the cooling system which intern started eating up and rubber in the closed cooling system. The rubber material was completely gone from the thermostat. Disassembly and a test showed a failure of one of the copper injector tubes. A new head was installed by a certified Vovlo Marine facility. I put an addition 2 hours on the boat after the head replacement and the engine experience a catastrophic failure. By this I mean, a large bang, clouds of blue smoke out the exhaust, loss of oil pressure and a severe knocking. At this point I don't know the extent of the failure. I would say the " only in Norway " theory is disproved. The boat is a 2007 and the engines have about 350 hours on them.

WK

The following users liked this post:
Hosso Saunders (03-27-2021)
Old 12-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Default fuel in the coolant

2008 IPS 600 port engine had salt water forming in the valley of the on top of the cylinder head. Discovered fuel in the coolant on routine inspection. Over time this resulted in corrosion of the copper tubing feeding the injectors and fuel to enter the coolant. The repairs are very expensive and now we find the same, to a lesser degree on the starboard engine. Out of Volvo warranty but still in Formula Guard. Found one other reference in the forum. Any suggestions as to cause?

Old 08-01-2018, 05:03 AM

Good morning, I was on my way from the Spanish mainland towards Mallorca. After 4.5 hours travelling, at 2900 rpm, a big bang, black smoke on starbord. Apparently one cilinder broke down. Volvo Penta checked the compression of all cilinders and diagnosed one bad cilinder. The other engine was also checked with as result that one cilinder is not ok either! I am waiting for a report after opening the engine. Keep you informed.
kind regards,
Kurt

Old 08-29-2018, 12:08 PM

Hi everybody,
nice to be on the forum.
Just want to inform and be informed on all subjects but actually on volvo penta's d6 310 problems.
I've noticed on the forum many people have melting problems on pistons probably due to the engine conception ?
I think i do have the same problem to solv and don't have(for the moment) more informations...
If i can help and be helped.
Sorry for all my fault, i'm french
Gilles

Old 08-29-2018, 12:10 PM

Hello,
i do think i have the same problem, is there any possibility to unite ourselves ?
Best regards
Gilles

Old 09-01-2018, 12:11 PM

It seems that Volvo's D4 or D6 problems with injectors will have started in Norway but ... in 2016 it also arrived in Portugal.

In 2016 a D6-370 with 600 hours, started having difficulty starting until he died completely. The Volvo representative concluded that of the 6 injectors there were 3 that were damaged. According to the opinion of Volvo's representative, only the 3 damaged nozzles were replaced and ... in August 2018, without any alarm or warning, at least one of the pistons was broken !!! All the maintenance provided in the Volvo maintenance manual has been carried out and I am waiting for a justification by Volvo for the occurrence of 2016 and what is now happening.

If anyone is aware of any liability already assumed by Volvo for these situations, I appreciate the collaboration.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Truls

Thank you in advance!
It seems that Volvo's D4 or D6 problems with injectors will have started in Norway but ... in 2016 it also arrived in Portugal.

In 2016 a D6-370 with 600 hours, started having difficulty starting until he died completely. The Volvo representative concluded that of the 6 injectors there were 3 that were damaged. According to the opinion of Volvo's representative, only the 3 damaged nozzles were replaced and ... in August 2018, without any alarm or warning, at least one of the pistons was broken !!! All the maintenance provided in the Volvo maintenance manual has been carried out and I am waiting for a justification by Volvo for the occurrence of 2016 and what is now happening.

If anyone is aware of any liability already assumed by Volvo for these situations, I appreciate the collaboration.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gilles8306
Hello,
i do think i have the same problem, is there any possibility to unite ourselves ?
Best regards
Gilles

Old 03-27-2021, 12:48 PM

Hi everyone, I too, have melting piston problems and leaking injectors at 1700 hours

Old 03-27-2021, 12:56 PM
Default D4 300 piston melting, caught it in time to save block

Saved the block through a siting of diesel bubbling next to an injector, Grenada marine mechanic new the ramifications and we pulled the head. Leaking injector collars and two melting piston tops. Engine had 1700 hours. Thinking I’ll need 2 pistons, new injectors new collars, new rings and bearings and a hone. Hope I haven’t missed any unknown foibles with this process. Maybe a new head instead. Please feel free to comment on this procedure, thanks

Old 03-27-2021, 01:00 PM

Hi Gilles, same problem at 1700 hrs. 2009 model 300 hp D4