For Sale / Trade - Archive Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Private and commercial posts are also welcome!

5 speed N/A 850 cheap

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 speed N/A 850 cheap

This is a long shot but maybe somebody will want my 5 speed non turbo 850. It is a good running car but has some problems that limit its resale value. I figure it would be a great source for someone wanting to do a 5 speed into a 850. Is there any demand for that? It has about 225,000 miles on it but the transmissions shifts great and has never had any problems. Car runs well enough to take it for a test drive and shift through all the gears. Buying the complete car would give EVERYTHING needed for a easy swap. The car is in Atlanta GA. I am in no hurry to sell it but just seeing if anyone has a interest in it as a transmission for a project. Say $800 for the running car?

Edit: So i had some requests for more info and pictures. It is a 94 wagon, as you can see. Located in Rome GA right now but could be down in Atlanta where i live in the future. So here are a few pictures from today. I have not driven it much over the last two years since i bought my Land Cruiser. So many of the "new" parts are about 1.5-2 years old but basically new biased on mileage. I should have receipts for the parts i mention. The main thing that comes to mind is that i did a timing belt, accessory belts, and water pump less than 1000 miles ago. Also the battery is reasonably new and a high quality battery. I have the receipt so the warranty is good if you need it. I bought the turbo 16" rims not too long ago and they came with a very nice set of Michelins with less than 5000 miles on them when i got them. Still in great condition. I cant remember exactly when but recent plugs, cap rotor, and wires. Upper motor mount is a IPD. Some odd small fuel lines, coolant lines and coolant reservoir. I will have to double check but i have some new parts still uninstalled such as a front window track, the one that breaks and causes rattly window. A upper shock/spring mount and a few other little things. Nice moulded Volvo 850 specific plastic floor mats. Alpine CD player, Blaupunkt speakers, factory Volvo rear cargo barrier, factory Thule bars, factory trailer hitch, New rear hatch struts. Factory winter package with headlight wipers, heated seats, side view mirror defrosters.

The car is a great looking car as you can see from the pictures. But as you would expect it has some things wrong with it. The major things are:

1. Cracked windshield
2. Update: New radiator put in 02/09/16 cracked radiator (It has NEVER BEEN OVER HEATED!!!)
3. Clutch has slipped a few times

In GA the cracked windshield is not as big a deal since there is no inspection. SO i was not in a hurry to replace it when i was driving it every day. I was just about to order a new radiator and drop it in. But i will wait a little bit and see if any of you guys want the car/transmission as it is. But if i start driving it again this will be replaced ASAP. When i was driving it every day i felt the clutch slip a few times on the high way when i was trying to pass some one. But mostly i drive the car really easy and never even notice it. The parts are not bad to repair it but it is a good bit of work. Today i drove it about 5-6 miles and put some fresh gas in it, I ran it through 2nd gear wide open throttle a few times just to clean out the injectors. I shifted into 2nd nice and easy and opened up the throttle all the way, ran it right up to 4,500 RPM. It didnt slip at all. So it is completely driveable like it is. But it should be done in the future.

Then there is the list of small things that are "normal" for a car this age. The paint is thin on the roof and hood. The hard plastic strip on the dash along the windshield is cracked. One of the driver seat adjustments is not working. The front passenger seat has a small area where stitching has come out (not noticeable). The AC needs to be recharged. The rear hatch rattles like mad. The plastic trim in the rear hatch is broken, visible in the picture with the hatch open. The car tracks nice and smooth running down the highway no problem. But the suspension has normal creaks and rattle like you would expect.

I have owned this car since 2001 and it has been a great car. I would love to see it go to someone that will use the trany to build a cool 5 speed turbo or see someone put a little work into it and have great cheap commuter, station car, or whatever.
Let me know if i can tell you anything else.

Name:  018.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  217.2 KB

Worst spot of the body, very shallow.

Pain on roof and hood is getting a little thin and cracking. No rust.

crack in windshield that grew from chip.

chips on front of hood, this is the only "rust"

Last edited by rc51kid; 02-11-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: add pictures
Old 11-21-2015, 03:11 PM

What year? Any pictures?

Old 11-22-2015, 08:01 AM

It is stored up at my mothers house so it will be around Thanksgiving before i can get some pictures of it. I figured this was more of a "transmission for sale add". But anyway it is a 94 850 wagon, cloth interior, winter package, all stock. I bought it from the original owner at 115,000 miles. Only mod is 16" 850 turbo wheels with a nice matching set of Goodyears. Body is perfectly straight other than parking lot door ding, no rust. Paint is getting a little f aided. It is actually a good car. I will get you some pictures.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:08 PM

I am a couple hours south of Atlanta please post pics.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:54 PM

Pictures and some info added

Old 12-01-2015, 03:30 PM

Hey guys. Please give me some feed back about my price on this. Let me know if i am way off base on price here. I will not be offended. More then likely i will drop in a new radiator and drive it for a few months. Then put it on Craigslist in the spring. But i will still need a idea of pricing. So any feedback will be helpful.
Thanks.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:00 PM

Personally, I would think $800 would be a little on the low side to get a running working vehicle with no engine codes. Usually anything at that price is just a headache (imo).

Old 12-06-2015, 11:41 AM

800 is a good price considering the work it needs and has over 200k miles which means there are lot of things that will need to be replaced. Only if I had room and were closer. This would be a perfect daily driver for me. Great color and I'm a fan of cloth interiors as they hold up better then leather. I've owned probably about 10 850 wagons and they are pleasure to own.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:32 AM

Put a new radiator in it from FCP. I will be driving nit for a few weeks while i do the cylinder head on my Land Cruiser. If it runs well for that time period expect to see it back for sale.