For Sale / Trade - Archive Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Private and commercial posts are also welcome!

New V70/S70 seat skins

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New V70/S70 seat skins

The one's in the pics are going on our V70 but I can make more in tan or charcoal. Like OEM leather on seating surfaces, high quality vinyl on all surrounding areas. The head rest is the original and is in the pics for color reference only.

New V70/S70 seat skins-100_1314.jpgNew V70/S70 seat skins-100_1315.jpgNew V70/S70 seat skins-100_1317.jpg

Bottoms $180
Backs $245

Will post photos with them installed.

Also available for 850 in same colors

PM if you're interested.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Volvo 850 Seat Skins For Sale

What do they cost at the steeler?

He also does 850 Skins: https://volvoforums.com/forum/sale-t...t-skins-45244/

I checked with our local dealer and they want about $650 for each seat back and about $525 for each seat bottom.

Last edited by rspi; 11-15-2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-24-2010, 10:43 PM

More than that I'm sure.

Any chance you could make some in the 850 "R" style, with the suede/alcantara seating surfaces and leather/vinyl surrounds?

Old 08-25-2010, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by dwbf1
More than that I'm sure.

Any chance you could make some in the 850 "R" style, with the suede/alcantara seating surfaces and leather/vinyl surrounds?
I could I just need an old one to pattern from. I would want to use real suede. I've used Alcantara in boat cushions and long term durability is not as good in abrasion, like climbing in and out and sliding across the seat. That said Alcantara is awesome in other respects, like stain resistance. If you really want Alcantara I'll do it though, it's easier and cheaper.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Man you have a real talent there. Among the 8,000 things I know how to do, I have always steered clear of the sewing machine. I was guessing that Volvo would charge about $700 for each seat cover so your price would be a real deal. Do you know what has been done by Volvo to insure that the side impact air bag deploys? Is the break in the material or stitching?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
Man you have a real talent there. Among the 8,000 things I know how to do, I have always steered clear of the sewing machine. I was guessing that Volvo would charge about $700 for each seat cover so your price would be a real deal. Do you know what has been done by Volvo to insure that the side impact air bag deploys? Is the break in the material or stitching?
Thanks. The machine and the art of setting it up properly is about 90% of the job.

I've examined the stitching and fabric very carefully around the air bag and there is nothing special or different about it. I've looked for photos of one that has been deployed but couldn't find one (if anyone has one please let me know). From what I've read in VIDA the side air bag has a two stage deployment( VIDA refers to it as pyrotechnic ). Although limited in depth details were given I figure the first stage blows open the container that has a sharp enough edge and force enough to rip the seat open. The second stage inflates the airbag. In that area is always vinyl and it will burst pretty (compared with leather that is) easily.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:24 AM

The only extras I have are rear seat skins, which might be a good starting point on patterns...but if it has to be fronts, would you be able to pattern off of detailed pictures?

Old 08-25-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by dwbf1
The only extras I have are rear seat skins, which might be a good starting point on patterns...but if it has to be fronts, would you be able to pattern off of detailed pictures?
It would be tough to get things right this way. So if you're not in a real hurry we can (you and me) look around to try to find an R skin that is in bad shape, no one wants and can be bought right (junkyard or parts car). I'll buy it and we can go from there.

I'll have to look at the price of suede and they might be a bit more $ than the V70's. What color, I assume charcoal?

Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 PM

Boy I bet you could sell the R types skins like hotcakes. I would buy them if I had a regular 850 turbo...LOVE the seats of the R models

Old 08-29-2010, 10:36 PM

Matt, you would not be able to put the R seat skin over your normal seat. The R seats have different bolsters and you would need to replace all of your foam as well. You may be able to use the seat skins from a T-5R (95 only).

Going to send some pics over for you tomorrow bobec, been extremely busy.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:19 AM

Sorry, I should have posted this link earlier but you still have a chance. On second thought

"Don't bid on the ebay skins" I'll sell them direct for less (had to cover the costs of doing business on ebay) just PM me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182

Matt, They won't fit. But they are very close and I might try to make a kit to adapt the 850 to the 850R to include with new skins 850R skins I'll be making soon.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:07 AM

That would be sweet. I think it you could retrofit some bolsters and seat cushions you would sell them like crazy. Especially on ebay or some other Volvo sites. Lot of Volvo customers out there.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Administrator

The R seats are different. Different from the normal 850 seats and the '95's are different in shape from the '96 & '97. That being said, why can't you simply use the regular seat cover pattern and make skins that are simular to the R seat covers??? When I was looking to purchase my yellow '95 R, I noticed that the seat pattern was reversed in the seating area. Later I realized that the cousion was also different. The R is more sport like than the T-5R.

As for the air bag deployment, I was under the impression that the seat material was thinner at the air bag location. Most 850 seats are worn through at that location from people getting in and out of the car, unless the driver was very small or had the seat so far back that is was not rubbed when getting in and out.

On my 960, the part that the air bag will come through is leather.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
The R seats are different. Different from the normal 850 seats and the '95's are different in shape from the '96 & '97. That being said, why can't you simply use the regular seat cover pattern and make skins that are simular to the R seat covers??? When I was looking to purchase my yellow '95 R, I noticed that the seat pattern was reversed in the seating area. Later I realized that the cousion was also different. The R is more sport like than the T-5R.

As for the air bag deployment, I was under the impression that the seat material was thinner at the air bag location. Most 850 seats are worn through at that location from people getting in and out of the car, unless the driver was very small or had the seat so far back that is was not rubbed when getting in and out.

On my 960, the part that the air bag will come through is leather.
I bought some R seats and they are on the way. This difference in the R and T-5R is disappointing for the reason that now I don't know what I'm getting and I now have to figure out the differences.

Here is part of what VIDA says about SIPS I've looked up and down the seams and fabric on both the V70 and 850 and I really see nothing special.

On activation the gas is first blown into a combustion chamber pipe and the gas then flows out into the cushion. Activation of one of the gas generators occurs immediately and the other is activated with a delay of about 3 milliseconds. The delay is set to maintain the inflated cushion's pressure and volume for a sufficiently long time.
On inflation the cushion breaks the cushion module's casing, tears the seat upholstery's seam and is forced out to inflate to full volume. The cushion is inflated in the direction of the door side to contribute toward the protection of the person's chest in the event of a collision.

New V70/S70 seat skins-sips.jpg New V70/S70 seat skins-100_1330.jpg

Photo of the airbag case.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Default New Skin On Frame

Just thought I'd post a pic of how it looks on the seat. I made another one so one whole set of skins just like this one is available.
New V70/S70 seat skins-100_1333.jpg
Let me know if you're interested. 850 and 850R skins coming soon.

Oh, the head rest is the original.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Administrator

That looks awsome. Maybe I'll send you my 960 seat cover to have you do that one for me.

I did see that air bag junk when I had the seat cover pulled up to repair my 850 recliner cable problem.

I read where a 850 owner was hit by an oncoming pick up truck once. Wham!!! Broad side. Going about 45 mph. He said he had a bruise but that was it. That side air bag poped out so fast he didn't know what happened. The trigger is in the side of the seat near the buttons. There is a clip in there to avaid accidental deployment.

Good job on the seats, I will tell others about your service.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:51 AM

How much are these S70 seat covers again...you can PM if you like.

regarding the 850 and 850R I know you say the covers are different becasue the R seats have larger side and thigh bolsters but even if you keep the seats covers the same but (without retro fitting the added cushions) just mimic the look I still think you could sell the crap out of these things. Plus if you can find the materials (leather and suede/micro fiber) in the same factory colors like tan, white, charcoal it would be a double bonus!!

They look great by the way. Do you do upolstery for a living or is it a hobby?

Old 09-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Administrator

1+ Just doing the covers, regardless of the size would be awsome. The material can be found at Hobby Lobby I believe. I found some of the black micro fiber at our local store to repair my worn seat. Turned out great, not even I can tell.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:21 PM

Turbo Matt.

Thanks.

V70 S70 skins price Bottoms $180 Backs $245

My goal is to offer them in very close to factory colors. The color of the V70 seat is real close to factory 3960. The problem is I only have one more hide in that color and it is beautifully soft, so I have to go find more. and charcoal as well.

I did upholstery, canvas and sails as a side business during the 14 years I lived on my sailboat, then when I went sailing to the Caribbean and beyond I took my sewing machine and had plenty of work repairing sails, canvas etc.

rspi

Thanks

I took a look at the 960 interiors and man they made a lot off versions. send me a pic if and when your ready.

Also is the suede fabric in the R seat Alcantara or real suede? In pics it looks like real suede. I've never seen one in person so ? Next week I'll have mine and get a first hand look.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My local upholstry shop does two front seats, in matching leather, for $540. Your seat skins seem pricey compared to what I pay.

Quick Reply: New V70/S70 seat skins