1980 Volvo 240 Wont stay running at idle

Old 08-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 Volvo 240 Wont stay running at idle

Ok so here is a very interesting ordeal. The car is an 80 wagon, I do believe its the KJET engine. I just fixed up the pre-pump today and it seemed to help little but not completely. SO basically its the classic will start and will run when you give it gas but once you take your foot off the gas it stalls. After replacing the pre pump today I put my hand on the main fuel pump hose and felt the fuel traveling through. I don't believe it is the main pump. I was considering changing the fuel filter because the car has been ran a lot on E and close to E. The car used to run like a dream. A few months ago when the stalling got pretty bad we were still able to drive the car around, you know the old classic put car in neutral while coming to a stop and give it some gas at stops so it wouldn't stall. Anyway, I replaced the fuel pump relay and it ran really good for 2 months then the problem came back. My idea was that the new relay gave the pre-pump a little more life or something to that nature but idk its been replaced and it has seemed to help very little. Thats when I decided to mess with the pre-pump. The car does not have the 25AMP blade fuse on the driver side wall but does have a silver metal tab set up with two red cables connected to two of the terminals. I put on new spade connectors and plugged them back up a while back so those are clean and good to go. I do not see a 25AMP fuse but if there is something similar please let me know. I also believe I have unplugged the AMM before to see if it changed anything and it did not. The engine does flood from time to time when trying to start it back to back and you can smell the fuel. This could be an issue of fuel having trouble getting to the engine from the filter. I will take the main fuel line off the engine tomorrow to check and see if fuel comes out of the line. As I said before the car used to run like a dream less then a year ago. So I do not believe it is any tune up issues like distributor cap, spark plugs, etc. I have also added oil and tranny fluid as an extra safe measure in case fluids were too low but no change has occurred. Fuses are good and clean and the metal tabs are tight. My next best guess is maybe the fuel filter or main pump but as I said I felt fuel coming through the main line. Some people have suggested the cold start injector but That wiring seems ok as well, I will check that tomorrow. Any ides or suggestions of what I may be missing? As I said car used to idle beautifully and run excellent. This was less than a year ago so it hasn't been multiple issues crashing down on me. I do feel it is something simple. Also for the last 6 months or so the car has been sitting a lot and not being ran consistently because of the stalling. I do understand that this can effect the car and cause further issues but it hasn't gotten really bad until the last few months. So this means something has been failing over time and finally crapped out. Thanks again!!!!

Old 08-07-2015, 08:50 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

the 25A fuse is specific to LH systems

CIS-E (aka K-Jet) is all about fuel pressure, fuel pressure, and fuel pressure. proper diagnosis requires differential pressure tests, something few folks know about anymore.

btw, if your main pump was out it wouldn't run at all.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:20 PM

So what are your suggestions? Fuel filter maybe? Its the only other things that makes sense. I have diagnosed everything else. When I check the fuel line tomorrow and see if fuel arrives, if it does not then that means fuel is getting stuck at the filter correct?

Old 08-07-2015, 09:48 PM

What about the fuel pressure regulator? It looks like it is attached near the distributor cap.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:15 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

the whole CIS fuel distributor is a complex fuel pressure regulator.

as I said, you need to do a differential pressure test of this, it needs to be adjusted properly for idle air flow, I know its complicated but I have zero personal experience troubleshooting CIS on a Volvo (I did attempt to troubleshoot a CIS issue that was causing random stalling on a Mercedes, ended up bringing it to a Mercedes guru who rather quickly found that the fuel injectors were bad).

there are some k-jet trouble shooting guides on K-Jet Debugging Guide | K-Jet.org thats probably the best place to start. I seriously doubt its your fuel filter, a clogged filter would cause power loss under heavy throttle at higher RPMs, not idle problems.

you said you 'know' the ignition system etc are not the problem, can we assume you checked your spark plugs and distributor cap for the usual signs ? otherwise, you are making assumptions.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:45 PM

It definitely stumbles and has serious power loss as well as no idle and stall at idle. It has to be a fuel issue. I really don't see it being anything else. It's not something that has just instantly occurred it has definitely been something that has slowly crapped out over time. Does anyone else have any suggestions?