1990 240 wagon turbo swap

Old 03-14-2017, 11:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1990 240 wagon turbo swap

Just wanted to share a few photo of my project I been working on. My favorite volvo is a volvo 240 wagon, and I always wanted a turbo wagon. Finding one was the hard part so building one was my best option.

At first my family thought the old man has lost his mind, I come home with a 1990 240 wagon with a gleam in my eye.

From day one I started cutting into it

At this point my family really thought I lost my mind.

After many sleepless nights and lots of shop hours they started to forget about me losing my mind and just supported me with some food pushed through the garage doors and occasional cups of coffee they knew I was not coming in so they came to me.

I went all out on the body work took it all apart so I would not miss anything.

Even went a bit overkill and weather proofed all the inside fenders and inside the car and hood area with bed liner.

Did all the body work and painting undercoating , replaced all control arms trailing arms , bushings and hardware, IPD lowering springs, scored a set of virgo wheels, and then got a volvo 740 donor car for the engine swap

Once getting this car home I took everything I needed from it for my swap. Engine, radiator, intercooler and piping, cpu's and even the windshield washer bottle and coolant reservoir and mounting tab thats attached to the car.

At this point I have a nice solid well painted and preserved rolling chassis and all I need to do is a few modifications to adapt the turbo components.

Some of the most challenging things are getting a 740 inter cooler to mount in a 240 nose there were no instructions on how to do this so I have to make it up as I went. I also wanted the larger radiator from the 740 and that took some modifications. There we some issues I come across that I expected because there are write ups of these build all over.

The down pipe was one of them this can be used from the 740 but it has to be shortened to clear the firewall

I also had to re-locate the battery over closer to the fender so I could run the inter cooler piping as well as mount the washer bottle from the 740 to the 240 because the air box is now where the 240 washer bottle use to be. but have got though that and now have a 240 turbo using all of the 740 components.

I was told that I would have to get a different inter cooler and radiator and they they would not fit , well they don't fit directly but they will if you can cut and weld metal and will be happy to share more or give closer up details to anyone who wants. I got tons more photos but didn't want to get to long into details.

I also got a new water pump and did a complete upper and lower gasket and seal kit for the engine and used the 100amp alternator off the 740. and some Do88 silicone heater core hoses while I had it all apart.

Btw my family still thinks I am crazy to do this to an old volvo station wagon, but its been fun and something I wanted to do. I still have a LOT of plans for this car in the future but I keep putting my project on hold to do other things that keep popping up, but I do see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:40 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

on the turbos the battery is normally on the LEFT (drivers side) while the airbox is on the right (passenger) side where the battery was originally on the 240.

did you also swap the transmissions? the turbo came with the AW71 which is a beefier version of the AW70 used on the 240... same gear ratios, but meatier bearings, etc.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pierce
on the turbos the battery is normally on the LEFT (drivers side) while the airbox is on the right (passenger) side where the battery was originally on the 240.

did you also swap the transmissions? the turbo came with the AW71 which is a beefier version of the AW70 used on the 240... same gear ratios, but meatier bearings, etc.
I have a manual transmission so didn't swap that. I still do have the AW71 and may put that in my 240 sedan (260k) when the time comes.

The reason I left the battery where it is, is because I was trying to use all the running gear from the 740 that I could. I was able to use the OEM radiator and intercooler from the 740 and all the oem pressure hoses. The 240 has a small radiator compared to the 740.

I was also able to use the inter cooler but had to squeeze it into the front nose piece and build a very simple supporting bracket.

Once I got the inter-cooler and radiator installed all my it would be harder to relocate the battery because my terminals, tray holder was all right there, plus on the 740T its on the passenger side so I wasn't going to try and fight it.

If you notice I even used the coolant bottle is from the 740. I was trying to use as much as I could from the 740. I was able to use all the inter-cooler piping and all oem hoses on the high pressure side by doing it the way I did. So I can order OEM hoses or even upgrade them to silicone

They are special bends and special sizes so being able to use these is a big plus.

Only hose that is not oem is the intake to the turbo, the oem hose put me into the wheel well so I had to make something longer.