Arggghhhh!!!!!!

Old 01-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Arggghhhh!!!!!!

I REALLY need some advice, my 03 V40 ain't the same as my 94 740 and I don't mean that in a good way.... I CAN NOT get the 133 code to go away. I have replaced both oxygen sensors TWICE, I have a new manifold, I have gotten new temperature sensors.... now my mechanic has referred me to a Volvo dealership and some people have suggested "flashing" my computer, but others say I am risking losing the software.... I have to pass emissions in February I just want this DAMN light to go away!!! WHY DID VOLVO CHANGE????
PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Well everyone changed and made the cars more reliant on computers, etc. Sometimes that's good and somtimes not. After flashing your computer it would relearn based on your driving. However, I don't know if that would do away with your code. It would probably just show up again.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?????

While I appreciate you sharing this knowledge: It has absolutely NOTHING to do with my car.... This is a car forum.....???? And I don't live anywhere near the Dakotas...????

Old 01-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL! Driendly is a spam bot. He's posted 44 times since midnight! I have VADIS and VIDA on my laptop. These are the 2 software programs Volvo has/is used using. The bad news is, pretty much only Volvo has invested in the scanning tools to a. diagnose and b. repair/reset the monitors. Since your car is older than 2005, the older DICE tool can be used; it's showing up now on eBay for $700-800 bucks used. Still, without the scanner often times the issue can be narrowed down but you should be prepared to make a trip to the dealer to have them do a final diagnosis and reset/repair. My shop has been in business for 26 years. We used to do mass quantities of Volvo work but stopped with the 850/S70. The company got too wrapped up in proprietorial scanners and tools to the extent that it isn't economical to buy a 10,000 dollar tool one uses once every 3 months. Let me know your engine code and that would be a good start. B4164S2 is on of 'em. If you PM'd me your entire VIN the program will automatically determine the engine and transmission.
Furthermore, the new Volvos have 4 digit numeric codes with Alpha prefixes...about a 1000 of them! They can not be read with a generic code reader typically. Have no idea how they are coming up w/ 133. For LH2.4 133 refers to the TPS, not O2 sensors...but of course, your car isn't LH2.4 Drop me a note!

Last edited by swiftjustice44; 01-15-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:45 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

>I have replaced both oxygen sensors TWICE
Did you replace them with OEM direct-fit sensors? Volvos are extremely choosy for the quality of parts.

>some people have suggested "flashing" my computer
I've never heard of such expression. Do they mean to electrocute the EEC with over-voltage/current? That would physically show you a "flash"...Sorry, it wasn't funny.

Sometimes some of us cannot meet the deadline for the emissions requirement due to money/time restrictions. So, even though it is illegal, take the bulb out from the dash just to pass the inspection, then put it back and fix the trouble at your earliest opportunity.

BTW, I hope your V40 has had this recall taken care of:

Auto Recall Date: 10/24/2003
Vehicle Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 15067
2003 VOLVO V40 Defect Summary:
ON CERTAIN SEDANS AND STATION WAGONS, THERE MAY BE A FUEL LEAK FROM THE FUEL RAIL DUE TO INADEQUATE WELDING.
Defect Consequence:
FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A V-CLAMP TO THE FUEL RAIL. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON JANUARY 28, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT VOLVO AT 1-800-458-1552.
Notes: VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC., R128

Good luck,

JPN

Search this Thread