240 Drivers Door Latch/Lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 240 Drivers Door Latch/Lock

Turned the Key to unlock it and heard a clank.
Now I cant get the Drivers Door to open from the inside OR outside Handle.

Any ideas on how to the door open so I can get the panel off and fix whatever broke?

I'm open to all ideas.
I tried all morning to rig up wires and trigger the outside latch release near just above the striker, And I don't even know for sure if this would work even if I hit the sweet spot...

Dad thinks we can get the panel off with the door closed, I'm not so sure without damaging it...

Last edited by Aesthetikz; 11-09-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:40 AM

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Old 11-09-2010, 07:27 AM

Dear Aesthetikz
We had a similar problem before we took the lock apart what we found was one person on the out side turning the key and lifting the door handle and in the inside with the door button up and a person pulling on the door handle while pushing worked.

On non Volvo cars we have found on switches and solenoids steel straps that we replace with more corrosive resisting metal. We have found worn latches that at first just needed a penning to make work later a little welded metal was added.

Is your car mechanical or has the electric multi-door features added.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:21 AM

Dad is right... you have to take the door panel off. Easy to do, just TONS of screws to find to get the panel off. Just be patient. Not sure what year you have, but you have to get arm rest off, handles, pockets, unscrew door lock. Once off, just look in the bottom of the door for the piece that fell off.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 PM

Yes, it does have the multi-lock control.
And it is an '83.

We will try the pushing pulling thing and if that doesnt work, I'll work on getting the panel off~Thanks.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:58 AM

Words of caution hope you get this post before it is too late. Work where it is warm and let the plastic warm up. If you are in a cold area like where I live you need to warm the plastic parts up to prevent breakage use a hair dryer just warm to touch so that plastic parts bend and do not break. When taking assemblies apart use a putty knife, to help prevent that terrible sound of a snapped part. I even use lubricant spray to help ease parts coming apart with out snapping. I used it on the speaker covers that were snapped on.
I use graphite in the locks, as petroleum products gum up, where grease is required I replace petroleum greases with synthetic broad temperature range type. Silicone lubricants are used on plastic parts it is not known that it causes cracking / breaking like petroleum products. Careful of rubber petroleum products and rubber often do not go well together we have all seen it a gooey ball that was a rubber part.
Hope this helps

Old 11-17-2010, 10:46 PM

Thanks Everyone!

I was able to sorta pry the upper rear corner away from the just enough enough to to get a look and stick my hand in.

I found a broken piece of metal inside, Then unlatched the door "Manually" .

Finished taking the door panel off and got next to no damage through the whole incident, Just a little crinkling in the rear cardboard stuff that cant bee seen when installed.

Looks like when he turned the key, A metal piece that mechanically activates the auto locks (on the lock cylinder) broke off knocking the latch rod loose with it.

I've got the latches/handles working again, But... The door lock cylinder either need to be repaired or replaced.