30 PSI to low for tires?

Old 07-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 30 PSI to low for tires?

I hvae a volvo 240 DL 1990. Those cars run naturally a little rough, so to soften the ride I lower the tire pressure to 30 PSI. Is this a decent PSI or is the going to make the walls of my tires wear out quickly?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, the normal psi should be about 32 or whatever the manual or door sticker says, I cant remember. so you'll just use more gasoline and wear your tires out faster. I cant imagine the ride is softer. Get a seat cushion? Make sure your suspension is up to par. These cars ride pretty nicely, but that of course is a matter of opinion.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:57 PM

well, i was at the tire store and complained that the ride is rough and i like a smooth ride. so i got the yokohama avid touring series. that made a big difference. however, they only put the psi to 25(tires state they can go 40 psi max). so i figuired that this is why the ride was so much smoother. but worried that they would wear out to quick i put more air in and currently they have 30 psi in them. i like the ride better when there was just 25 psi in the tires.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a little off course, but my dad has a 2000 buick. and that thing is a couch on wheels, im tellin you! and its really cheap to maintain and the retail prize. just a little idea im throwing out there!

Old 07-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Volvo's are engineered for the driver to feel the road. However the 240's do not ride rough. I would put between 32 to 34 psi in the tires. You can replace the shocks to remove some road feel and check your motor mounts.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Banned

30 PSI is just fine....I like to ride more firm but 30 is fine and will not hurt your car in any way...PS 240's do ride a bit bumpier and looser than most cars...they all feel a bit different and unique in their own way, you will never drive 2 240's that feel exactly the same...they are like snow flakes ...you can put better shocks, struts, springs, bushings etc but it will never feel like a Caddy...

Old 07-30-2010, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by volvoguy2323
... you will never drive 2 240's that feel exactly the same...they are like snow flakes ...
I agree with that. My Volvo 240 DL sits lower in the back than most 240's do. I even taken a tape measure and measured other 240 back ends in parking lots. Mine sites like 5 to 7 inches lower(in the back) which is visually significant(make it look like a low rider). Drives me crazy. I put brand new coils in the back and new shocks and still got that sagging look.

Curious, would it be bad if I went back to 25 PSI in my yokohoma tires?

Old 07-31-2010, 06:17 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Man, you guys are nuts. I guess you will find that most 240's ride differently. That would be mainly due to the fact that all cars WEAR differently. Some people drive hard, some people avoid bad roads, some people REPLACE worn parts and some people just drive cars till they fall apart. To Each His Own!!!

But back on the subject of running tires with LOW tire pressure, that is simply EXPENSIVE. You have 2 expensive guarantees:
1) You will wear out the edges of the tires and have to replace them sooner. Tires are simply expensive, the most expensive upkeep I have ever experienced with Volvos.
2) You create more drag with under inflated tires, thus costing you money at the gas pump every time you drive.
Money is tight around here so maybe those things do not bother you guys.
Exactly what BuckTheDog said.

dman777, I'm surprised to hear that you have replaced your rear springs and still have a sag problem. If so, you may want to send those things back, or maybe measure the front of the car as well. Do you carry a lot of stuff in your trunk? I guess I can check the thread "What do you carry in your car" and see. My 740 started sagging so I put some ipd heavy duty springs back there and that solved my problem immediately. I do admit that 740's don't have the sag as bad as the 240's do but new coils should have taken you back to at least level.

To be honest with you guys, the comment I like best in this tread is the one that RuskyaMafia left.
:-S

Last edited by rspi; 07-31-2010 at 06:26 AM. Reason: addition
Old 08-01-2010, 05:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rspi
Man, you guys are nuts. I guess you will find that most 240's ride differently. That would be mainly due to the fact that all cars WEAR differently. Some people drive hard, some people avoid bad roads, some people REPLACE worn parts and some people just drive cars till they fall apart. To Each His Own!!!

But back on the subject of running tires with LOW tire pressure, that is simply EXPENSIVE. You have 2 expensive guarantees:
1) You will wear out the edges of the tires and have to replace them sooner. Tires are simply expensive, the most expensive upkeep I have ever experienced with Volvos.
2) You create more drag with under inflated tires, thus costing you money at the gas pump every time you drive.
Money is tight around here so maybe those things do not bother you guys.
Exactly what BuckTheDog said.

dman777, I'm surprised to hear that you have replaced your rear springs and still have a sag problem. If so, you may want to send those things back, or maybe measure the front of the car as well. Do you carry a lot of stuff in your trunk? I guess I can check the thread "What do you carry in your car" and see. My 740 started sagging so I put some ipd heavy duty springs back there and that solved my problem immediately. I do admit that 740's don't have the sag as bad as the 240's do but new coils should have taken you back to at least level.

To be honest with you guys, the comment I like best in this tread is the one that RuskyaMafia left.
:-S
30PSI is NOT crazy low bro.. Also depends on climate...However, I do agree that 25psi is too low...and yes every 240 drives different and very few drive tight...why might you ask? Because suspension is not something that you can see and it is not something that causes imminent harm or danger...so it is the most neglected...shouldn't be but it is...

Last edited by volvoguy2323; 08-01-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dman777
I agree with that. My Volvo 240 DL sits lower in the back than most 240's do. I even taken a tape measure and measured other 240 back ends in parking lots. Mine sites like 5 to 7 inches lower(in the back) which is visually significant(make it look like a low rider). Drives me crazy. I put brand new coils in the back and new shocks and still got that sagging look.

Curious, would it be bad if I went back to 25 PSI in my yokohoma tires?
25 seems a bit low bro...keep at 30 unless otherwise stated on the tire itself...I personally wouldn't go lower than 30 especailly if your car is sagging...