'86 240 Odometer Help: Replaced gear and gear pod, still nothing...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '86 240 Odometer Help: Replaced gear and gear pod, still nothing...

I started by replacing the small gear with one from IPD. After that I could only get the odometer to go for about half a mile before it would stop. Took it apart a few times, put it back in, and every time it would go half a mile and stop.

So I have a parts car (91 240). I tried a direct swap and nothing worked at all. So I took the gear pod out of the parts car. That seemed to work for a while but eventually the trip would stop altogether and then the odometer would go in and out. It would work for 20 miles, stop for 10, work for 15 miles, stop for 20.

So I took it apart once more and saw that gear pod had some slight damage, so I ordered a new gear pod. I just put it in today and now I'm back to the thing of working for half a mile and stopping.

I have taken compressed air to it, and I do not see any visible jams. When I take off the speedo face plate and turn it by hand there does seem to be resistance now and then but why? It is possible that a gear in the Odo/Trip is misaligned? I suspect the tripometer is the main culprit here since before I would have the odometer working for a while yet the trip wasn't turning.

I'm going to go ahead and take it apart again and keep playing with it but if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:08 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

240 speedos are mysterious animals!
see dave barton's volvo page.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:29 PM

i am having the exact same problem in my 1992 240.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:50 PM

just a bit of an update on this...

i took it apart again and went through every visible tooth using a magnifying glass. didnt see any small pieces in them but i cleaned each one anyways. put it back together, worked for half a mile and then nothing.

it keeps binding up. it cant be an electrical fault because when i take it out, its physically jammed, i cant move it with my fingers at all. if the motor was cutting in and out that wouldnt be the case.

anyways, i found another forum talking about this and someone who has done this numerous times said they constantly had problems with IPD gears being a bit too big. that being the case or not, i compared my IPD gear to the original and sure enough its significantly bigger. it's a bit bigger in diameter, a bit thicker and the holes where it sits down on the peg is a bit bigger, allowing movement of the gear, while the original gear fit quite snugly (allowing room for a wobble of the IPD gear).

so ive ordered a gear from odometergears.com to see if that will be any better, as the other forum suggested. the person claiming to have done these repairs said he never had problems with any gears, except for the IPD ones.

it should be in today, ill report back.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:15 PM

great thanks!!

Old 01-02-2014, 04:42 PM

just got the gear. upon initial inspection it looks identical to the IPD gear except its white. overall size looks the same as does the hole in the middle of the gear.

we shall see...

Old 01-08-2014, 06:36 PM

Replaced it with the new gear, worked for 10 miles or so and stopped.

No idea what to do for it now. Maybe sometime I'll go through it and check the capacitors and solder connections just for the hell of it, though I suspect that's all fine since it seems to still be an issue of the gear jamming up.

I'm done with it for now, tired of tearing it apart over and over. I'll keep an eye out in junkyards and grab one when I get the chance.